The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What Does Pittsburgh Have For Sutter?

Just the very odd trade the Pens just made. Maybe to free up some cap space.

Derek Bassard is rumoured to on the move leaving a hole at center.

Apart from their #1, which would be my minimum, who else, maybe next year's #1 which would be the smart trade.

GM's will be more willing to trade next year's pick or the 2021 1rst. Trading that far ahead is like putting money in the bank. Those are the type of trades, for future picks, of a confident GM, trading them is a GM in a win now, confident that his core will be around for quite awhile, needing to excite the market or simple desperation, a deal with the problem later or if he is still around.

Getting a first rounder for Sutter would be bonkers. I'd say a second would be a very good return for us and I'd be happy with a 3rd just to get rid of that contract. 

Calen Addison is who I'd be targeting from Pittsburgh but I'm sure he'd go in a bigger package than for an overpaid 3rd liner. 

3 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Getting a first rounder for Sutter would be bonkers. I'd say a second would be a very good return for us and I'd be happy with a 3rd just to get rid of that contract. 

Calen Addison is who I'd be targeting from Pittsburgh but I'm sure he'd go in a bigger package than for an overpaid 3rd liner. 

Sutter would return way more than just a first.  He would only go to a top tier team, so the first would be late in round one, so there would definitely need to be more.  Sutter is great in a shut-down role, and taking the heavy minutes from the top offensive players.  His value to a top team, because of this, will be A LOT. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sutter would return way more than just a first.  He would only go to a top tier team, so the first would be late in round one, so there would definitely need to be more.  Sutter is great in a shut-down role, and taking the heavy minutes from the top offensive players.  His value to a top team, because of this, will be A LOT. 

Sutter as he played last year -- yes.

I think this year has hurt his trade value.  Can someone with such poor offensive numbers really play big 3rd line minutes on a team that thinks of itself as a contender?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Sutter were on the market there would be a number of teams interested, Edmonton being one imo. He's really undervalued for some reason on CDC, I don't quite know why. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Sutter were on the market there would be a number of teams interested, Edmonton being one imo. He's really undervalued for some reason on CDC, I don't quite know why. 

Mostly because he was traded to be a second line scoring center, I think Benning said something about being a possible 30 goal scorer.

4 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Mostly because he was traded to be a second line scoring center, I think Benning said something about being a possible 30 goal scorer.

I heard "foundational", must have missed the 30 goal statement. He's a terrific 3rd line C (just ask McDavid) capable of 15-20 goals, and he's talked about like a cap dump in some threads :lol: 

Benning would be looking for a late 1st and an NHL ready prospect, if he was to be moved this year i think. 

Don't think Pittsburgh would want him. They got rid of him originally to switch to Bonino and then won 2 straight cups. They didn't believe in Sutter back then, I doubt they would now. 

Sutter's worth is at an all time low right now as well with just 5 pts in 21 games following a long time on the shelf with injury. Time to trade him would be midway through next year to make room for Gaudette if he continues his stellar play in the AHL. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I heard "foundational", must have missed the 30 goal statement. He's a terrific 3rd line C (just ask McDavid) capable of 15-20 goals, and he's talked about like a cap dump in some threads :lol: 

Benning would be looking for a late 1st and an NHL ready prospect, if he was to be moved this year i think. 

It's too bad he has been injured so much since before he got here he was talked about as having some iron man status. The injuries have really clouded his value on and off the ice. If he had played more, I doubt anyone would be trying to throw him away.

Sutter is a very versatile player.  He can run your 2nd or 3rd line, playing center or wing.  He skates well, decent on FO and can kill penalties.  Top teams are paying for depth, and that's exactly what he brings.  Imagine Pittsburgh is in the 3rd round, and either Crosby or Malkin goes down.. Having Sutter would be highly beneficial to step up and help out in their absence.  He has shown he is proficient as a shutdown guy, and doesn't mine working against other teams top lines.  He also isn't known for turnovers or stupid penalties.  He was sold to this fan base as being a foundational player, and we hold that over him.  Another team won't have that view, and are viewing him very differently.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Kuzma was talking of him being a formidable playmaker.  Benning said he was a C2 stuck behind Crosby/Malkin.  The Canucks did not get the player Benning described.  WD was using him as an offensive C2 with PP1.  Green put him back in the role he had in Pittsburgh.  

Rutherford has had Sutter as a GM before - twice. Both times he traded him away. And that was when he was younger, and far less injury prone. (Brent had only missed 3 combined games in the 5 seasons prior to the trade. Since the trade, he has missed 114 of the Canucks' 297 games.)

I don't suspect reacquiring Sutter is high on Jim's list.

18 minutes ago, mll said:

Kuzma was talking of him being a formidable playmaker.  Benning said he was a C2 stuck behind Crosby/Malkin.  The Canucks did not get the player Benning described.  WD was using him as an offensive C2 with PP1.  Green put him back in the role he had in Pittsburgh.  

thats probably true. But as a consolation prize he's been good in the shut down role who can still contribute. 

59 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you know why Jimmy, you're just too polite to say it - most CDC'ers knowledge of player development comes from who they can/can't trade on EA sports games.  I don't claim to be an expert, but I've observed that people VASTLY underestimate the value of a guy like Sutter to a young, rebuilding team like the Canucks because they don't see the intangibles he can offer his teammates/coaches.  He took a HUGE weight off BoHo when he was healthy for the past few seasons allowing BoHo to play more suitable minutes and he's going to be able to do that for Elias for the next couple seasons as well.  It was clear to most anyone without full homer glasses on that when Sutter went down to injury last season that BoHo was being overworked on a nightly basis - can't think of any situation in which that was good thing for his season/development.  His on-ice/off-ice leadership, professionalism, and work-ethic are immeasurable as his is in-game experience.  Sometimes you pay a guy to allow other guys around him to develop into the players you know they can be at their own pace.   If/when this team makes the playoffs guys like Sutter/Beagle/Tanev/Edler will be the ones the kids look to for leadership - if you don't value that in a player then you risk being another Coiler tire-fire.  Sure, you overpay a bit - say half a mil/season or so - to secure his services but then you know you have him around to mentor the kids the right way.  Worth it imo. 

Archived