The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All eyes on Nanaimo UPDATE Sheila Malcolmson wins

Violator

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't know. I think a lot of things get blurred after a while. For example, the BC Liberals are more like the Conservatives of Canada while the NDP are... I was going to say like the Liberals of Canada but that doesn't seem right at all. I'll stand by the first part though.. lol

So I'm not too worried if she's going from the Harper Conservatives to the BC Liberals in that regard as we have no Conservative party in sight in this province.

While I wish that were true.  The boomer generation refuses to let go of the 90s even though they also refuse to understand the economics behind what really happened, they refuse to let go of the fast ferries even though they refuse to understand who the ferries were sold to, how much they sold for and how easily they were fixed, they refuse to let go of Bingo Gate even though the then Premier was cleared of all charges and honorably stepped down.

You're right.  The current manifestation of the Libs in BC and federally far more closely resemble a faux Conservative party, the NDP in BC is far mroe like a textbook liberal and the Conservatives in BC just don't exist.

But for the majority, outside of Surrey and the NE part of the province that the BC Liberals essentially ignored for 16 straight years anyways (seriously...still don't get why they like that abusive relationship) would have had a hard time voting for Watts

Just now, Gnarcore said:

The BC NDP has been been doing just fine IMO. 

Indeed you're right.  Economics look good, employment down, they've completed a very large portion of their election platform and have stood up for BC in a number of ways.  Added they approved LNG while standing up against Transmountain until the process is done properly.

They are doing quite well by all accounts but people still mutter the same inane BS about the 90s.

The true problem facing the BC NDP right now is actually housing.  The Liberals saw the housing market and development hyper inflate the province to the point where they were almost 20% of the entire provincial GDP.  If there is any slow down, turn down or crash in real estate and development for ANY reason the idiot generation that still mutters crap about the 90s will blame the NDP regardless of the cause

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Indeed you're right.  Economics look good, employment down, they've completed a very large portion of their election platform and have stood up for BC in a number of ways.  Added they approved LNG while standing up against Transmountain until the process is done properly.

They are doing quite well by all accounts but people still mutter the same inane BS about the 90s.

The true problem facing the BC NDP right now is actually housing.  The Liberals saw the housing market and development hyper inflate the province to the point where they were almost 20% of the entire provincial GDP.  If there is any slow down, turn down or crash in real estate and development for ANY reason the idiot generation that still mutters crap about the 90s will blame the NDP regardless of the cause

Exactly.  

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Her saving grace would have been Surrey and the NE half of the province, to the rest of BC she was/is a Conservative under Harper.  It's hard to fix those ties which is why you still the idiot generation still mumbling about fast ferries, bingo gate or the like while ignoring 16 years of apparent corruption and allowance of money laundering in BC.

BC's largest demographic doesn't seem to want to let go of the past.  I for one wouldn't have voted for Watts simply because her appointment and change of ideals would have seemed far too self serving for my tastes.  Now if she ran under the actual conservative banner i'd certain;y give her a listen and might be persuaded to lend her a vote, but you don't change your entire ideology in 11 months simply based on political expediency.  

That just smacks of personal gain over a desire to lead the party you're truly aligned with

Weaver did. 

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

While I wish that were true.  The boomer generation refuses to let go of the 90s even though they also refuse to understand the economics behind what really happened, they refuse to let go of the fast ferries even though they refuse to understand who the ferries were sold to, how much they sold for and how easily they were fixed, they refuse to let go of Bingo Gate even though the then Premier was cleared of all charges and honorably stepped down.

You're right.  The current manifestation of the Libs in BC and federally far more closely resemble a faux Conservative party, the NDP in BC is far mroe like a textbook liberal and the Conservatives in BC just don't exist.

But for the majority, outside of Surrey and the NE part of the province that the BC Liberals essentially ignored for 16 straight years anyways (seriously...still don't get why they like that abusive relationship) would have had a hard time voting for Watts

Unfortunately, I think the NE part of the province gets ignored a lot no matter what party is in. It's more about who ignores them less and the jobs I mentioned earlier involved the NE. Being in Prince George, we have a lot of people who have jobs up there in mines, dams, etc.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Weaver did. 

Did he though?  He's been vocal about what he wants and has gotten some morself from the NDP, but even last night was raging about being under their yoke.  Not sure how long that will last, but also think he saw the writing on the wall as it were last night with that lost support

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Unfortunately, I think the NE part of the province gets ignored a lot no matter what party is in. It's more about who ignores them less and the jobs I mentioned earlier involved the NE.

I've never understood the belief of the NE that the NDp was/is so bad.  If it weren't for forestry tanking so badly in the 90s they'd be fine.  Their belief that the LIbs were so much better but still driving to AB for work every week left me confused when I was working up there

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Did he though?  He's been vocal about what he wants and has gotten some morself from the NDP, but even last night was raging about being under their yoke.  Not sure how long that will last, but also think he saw the writing on the wall as it were last night with that lost support

yup he did. All those threats of bringing down the gov't over LNG turned into wanting to go for a beer with Horgan :lol: Weaver has provided as much resistance as a wet Kleenex in a hurricane. And absolutely nothing for promoting new green tech manufacturing in BC. Its an utter failure imo. Literally no reason to vote Green over NDP. 

But, so far I'm pleasantly surprised that Horgan hasn't killed any major projects. I think he's probably got a 4-6 year run left in him given the current state of the Liberals so hopefully that continues. 

Just now, Warhippy said:

I've never understood the belief of the NE that the NDp was/is so bad.  If it weren't for forestry tanking so badly in the 90s they'd be fine.  Their belief that the LIbs were so much better but still driving to AB for work every week left me confused when I was working up there

I'm not even talking about the 90's. I'm literally talking about now. lol

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm not even talking about the 90's. I'm literally talking about now. lol

But, and I've asked this question a lot.  What has actually really changed that has been so harmful compared to 19 months ago?  They approved the major projects through the area and are trying to renew the forestry industry with grants and green tech solutions.

Just now, Warhippy said:

But, and I've asked this question a lot.  What has actually really changed that has been so harmful compared to 19 months ago?  They approved the major projects through the area and are trying to renew the forestry industry with grants and green tech solutions.

Except these are projects the Liberals started. Here's an article a couple of years ago about Site C. Literally in that article, it claims Horgan said that he wouldn't have approved it if it wasn't already started.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fort-st-john-site-c-dam-reaction-1.4443238

So when you say they "approved" the major projects, it's basically them taking credit for what the Liberals started.

32 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Except these are projects the Liberals started. Here's an article a couple of years ago about Site C. Literally in that article, it claims Horgan said that he wouldn't have approved it if it wasn't already started.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fort-st-john-site-c-dam-reaction-1.4443238

So when you say they "approved" the major projects, it's basically them taking credit for what the Liberals started.

Actually,

They're approving projects that the NE and essentially the entire province outside of the lower mainland, island and okanagan said they'd cancel.

It's a solid olive branch forth for everyone and for the best overall in the province.  Regardless of who started it, when the entire mindset is omg no they're so badzors and then they do the right thing, where is the respect for doing the right thing?  Where is the, sorry my bad I was wrong; from the electorate?

*I'm still dead set against Site C because of the overall cost and future cost as well as redundancy of the project at this point.

56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup he did. All those threats of bringing down the gov't over LNG turned into wanting to go for a beer with Horgan :lol: Weaver has provided as much resistance as a wet Kleenex in a hurricane. And absolutely nothing for promoting new green tech manufacturing in BC. Its an utter failure imo. Literally no reason to vote Green over NDP. 

But, so far I'm pleasantly surprised that Horgan hasn't killed any major projects. I think he's probably got a 4-6 year run left in him given the current state of the Liberals so hopefully that continues. 

Prior to his political life, he was in the energy sector. Folks in Alberta and BC think he's against the pipeline completely, FALSE. He, and others like I, want it done right, when and if it gets built. As I said before, Site C, was beyond the point of no return. Christy Clark and the Feds (Harper) had no idea what they were up against, when they thought they could rubber stamp KM. Now, today we're finding out that Trudeau paid close to $1B more than it is worth. There is no end to the stupidity from these previous governments.

4 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Fairly safe NDP seat, and she got a larger percent of the votes than Krog in the last Provincial election. Now lets talk about media bias for a minute as well. All the days leading up to this election all I saw from Global, CBC, and the Province. The only media I read mind you, was that IF the Liberals win this seat we could be seeing an election on the horizon. Do they honestly think that Plecas would help the Wilkinson Liberals? I think the new headlines should read, What's next for Andrew Wilkinson? or What's next for the BC Liberals? The next Provincial election is going to be a barnburner.

Maybe I am reading the situation wrong, but I just took it as change makes for better news.

If all the media talked about was how a win for the NDP would mean status quo, then that would have been pretty boring, wouldn't it?

16 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Prior to his political life, he was in the energy sector. Folks in Alberta and BC think he's against the pipeline completely, FALSE. He, and others like I, want it done right, when and if it gets built. As I said before, Site C, was beyond the point of no return. Christy Clark and the Feds (Harper) had no idea what they were up against, when they thought they could rubber stamp KM. Now, today we're finding out that Trudeau paid close to $1B more than it is worth. There is no end to the stupidity from these previous governments.

yup, thats hard to argue.

Site C does a number of things for us, not the least of which is giving us an option for power if the Columbia treaty gets Trumped. I don't want to re-debate it, but its not the doomsday scenario a lot made it out to be imo, I don't think that was that hard a decision for Horgan. 

So we'll see where it all goes. If the Liberals continue to put in guys like Wilkinson, maybe 16 years from now we'll all hate the NDP :lol:

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

There isn't a good liberal leader right now, won't be for years.  Watts would have just been another worthless Harper transplant like Kenney.  A Conservative pretending to care as it was.

Until that party clears its rank and file to the person nothing will change

Lol they won the last election in BC let's not get carried away. Obviously you praise ndp but by your logic they should clean house. They haven't won an election in BC in over 20 years.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup, thats hard to argue.

Site C does a number of things for us, not the least of which is giving us an option for power if the Columbia treaty gets Trumped. I don't want to re-debate it, but its not the doomsday scenario a lot made it out to be imo, I don't think that was that hard a decision for Horgan. 

So we'll see where it all goes. If the Liberals continue to put in guys like Wilkinson, maybe 16 years from now we'll all hate the NDP :lol:

I guess the next question will be. What about the cost overruns on the Site C? I'm going to estimate $16 to $20B when all is said and done. Yes, there were many current and former NDP/Green folks against this project. And, you are right on Wilkinson, his true colours have been shown with the Legislative mess.

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

The BC NDP has been been doing just fine IMO. 

Great for your opinion. Their first budget added 4 billion in debt. You still have tolls, msp, poor highways  and no 10$ a day daycare. I suppose it's status quo in BC except with more debt. Face it those two parties are useless.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol they won the last election in BC let's not get carried away. Obviously you praise ndp but by your logic they should clean house. They haven't won an election in BC in over 20 years.

its almost always about the leadership in politics. Look at the CPC, if they had a better leader the federal Liberals would be cooked. 

Archived