The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Wild trade Ryan Murphy to Devils for Michael Kapla

I'm not sure who is Michael Kapla.

But I remember being disappointed that Frank Corrado, who played well in lead up games & OHL Super Series Games, was dropped just before the WJC's in favour of Ryan Murphy. Which surprised even Bob MacKenzie. Murphy then stunk out the joint.

Whinge, whinge, cry, cry. I guess Corrado amounted to not much less or more than Murphy anyway.

In other news :bored:

2 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

Real Headliner.... Does this mean I dont have to browse through 10 articles about Muzzin and the Leafs on TSN and SportsNet now??

no, its the Leafs, you still do.

on a side note, anyone care to weigh in on how Pouliot would fare in this deal? 

would we have to add a 7th or would we receive another?

1 hour ago, Jaku said:

Murphy had so much offensive upside. Never could quite get it figured out at the NHL level.

Always struck me as flakey showboat stuff. 

And never played hard.

So also struck me as a risk reward pick. If someone could get the tough love coaching message to him, he might have been ok. But he seemed to need the message more than some other guys.  

13 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm not sure who is Michael Kapla.

But I remember being disappointed that Frank Corrado, who played well in lead up games & OHL Super Series Games, was dropped just before the WJC's in favour of Ryan Murphy. Which surprised even Bob MacKenzie. Murphy then stunk out the joint.

Whinge, whinge, cry, cry. I guess Corrado amounted to not much less or more than Murphy anyway.

In other news :bored:

That was the year of the Steve Spott debacle.  He was his coach in Kitchener, so no wonder he picked him.  That was also the year that the brilliant coach decided to sit Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin pretty much the whole tournament, only to watch them (especially Mackinnon) dominate the Memorial Cup a few months later.

I guess he's a well connected guy, because that should have ended his career, although, he's now an assistant and never in conversation for a head coaching position, so I guess it did hurt him a little. 

Michael Kapla was a NCAA free agent signing of the Devils at the end of 2016-17. He played a few games for them that season (after players were traded away at the deadline). He was a solid NCAA guy, and captain of his team. But he hasn't shown enough at camp or in the AHL to challenge for a spot.

This is probably simply to balance minor league rosters. Minny's farm team was RHD-heavy, and they had another PP RD in Bouramman. Jersey didn't have a puckmoving RD - they're only righties were John Ramage and Eric Gryba. But Minny saves a bit of money, because Murphy's AHL salary is $275K, whereas Kapla's is only $70K.

...In other words... :bored:

Archived