The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Auston Matthews Could get 11-13 Mill/year contract?

Toronto Maple Leafs

Rumour: Bob McKenzie speculated on Toronto 1050 that Auston Matthews contract could be in the range of $11 million for five or six years, or a longer-term deal of $13 million for seven or eight. This may effect NHL Trade Rumours going forward.

Analysis: The saga of Matthews contract has been a focal point of the Leafs organization. The clubs salary cap next year is looking to be around $83 million. If we’re going by McKenzie’s numbers, the five or six-year deal would be about 13% of their cap. The longer-term option is closer to 15%.

The Leafs have a secondary focus on their plate as well: Mitch Marner and his potential cap hit. With that in mind, they’re probably favouring a shorter term deal for Matthews. It’s been a well-argued point that the two deserve matching contracts, so it’s not unfathomable that whatever Matthews gets will have a direct effect on that Marner would accept. Both players are extremely close when it comes down to their value and contributions to the organization. The best case scenario for Toronto is to keep the pair together and with the franchise. Both of these contracts will largely affect the Leafs cap space going forward.

wowza! Maple Leafs going to crumble if they giving out 40 Mill plus for 5 players 

It seems likely to me that the team is trying hard to have the contracts match with the Tavares AAV, and adjust the term as needed... 5-6 years at $11-11.5 million per year (accounting for a bit of cap inflation since Tavares was signed) would be the best they can hope for.

I do find it a little entertaining seeing the armchair GM teams Leafs fans have created on Capfriendly.  They all have Matthews between $10-11 million and Marner between $8-9 million.  That is pretty wishful thinking.

Everything I am reading shows that they desire to have Matthews to a 5-6 year deal which would mean a $12.25 million per year deal.  The danger of this is it IS a shorter deal which I believe makes Matthews a UFA at the end of it or only leaves 1 year of RFA status left.  

This also means that Marner would be within the ballpark of $8.75 million on the low end and more likely closer to the $9.65 million mark over a 6 year term.

Even with the cap increases and even with Marleau coming off the books, top 4 defencemen seem to start at about $4.25 million, top pairing defencemen about $6 million (on a generously low contract) so that leaves Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares eating almost $37 million ish of the Leafs entire cap and a top 4 costing upwards of $18-$22 million

I guess the Leafs have about 2 years left to be able to tease the OIlers before they are selling the entire team.  Or less if Matthews or Marner sees an offer sheet ;) 

42 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Everything I am reading shows that they desire to have Matthews to a 5-6 year deal which would mean a $12.25 million per year deal.  The danger of this is it IS a shorter deal which I believe makes Matthews a UFA at the end of it or only leaves 1 year of RFA status left.  

This also means that Marner would be within the ballpark of $8.75 million on the low end and more likely closer to the $9.65 million mark over a 6 year term.

Even with the cap increases and even with Marleau coming off the books, top 4 defencemen seem to start at about $4.25 million, top pairing defencemen about $6 million (on a generously low contract) so that leaves Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares eating almost $37 million ish of the Leafs entire cap and a top 4 costing upwards of $18-$22 million

I guess the Leafs have about 2 years left to be able to tease the OIlers before they are selling the entire team.  Or less if Matthews or Marner sees an offer sheet ;) 

Marleau still has one more year after this season with a NMC. Marner and Matthews are up this summer. So that really messes it up for the Leafs as his cap hit is 6.25M.

There is going to have to be some creative accounting here.

14 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Marleau still has one more year after this season with a NMC. Marner and Matthews are up this summer. So that really messes it up for the Leafs as his cap hit is 6.25M.

Marleau's salary is only 1.25 mill for next season. He'll be gone after Leafs pay his signing bonus in summer. 

He has NMC but he'll be asked to waive. His contract is structured to make this scenario a reality. 

21 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Marleau's salary is only 1.25 mill for next season. He'll be gone after Leafs pay his signing bonus in summer. 

He has NMC but he'll be asked to waive. His contract is structured to make this scenario a reality. 

That salary means nothing to the leafs, but that cap hit...hard to convince a team to take that much rental cap

36 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

NO joke, I am not sure who if anyone would be willing to take Marleaus next year at that cap for diminished production.

Nobody will be lining up to do the Leafs any favours, next year will be the worst for them.  But the following years will possibly be even more severe because they'll have cast off their roll players and depth to keep the big 4, will need to re-sign Muzzin and shore up the defense with no real prospects to fill it all.

It doesn't really get bleak for the Leafs until 2021/2022 at this rate

28 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

No one should be getting more than McDavid. 

I don't see Mathews getting more than 12.5

Marner is a winger. 8.5 to 9 mill is max for him. 

McKenzie and LeBrun think Panarin will get upwards of 10M.  Dreger just the other day says likely 11M x 7 years - he too is a winger.  

53 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

No one should be getting more than McDavid. 

I don't see Mathews getting more than 12.5

Marner is a winger. 8.5 to 9 mill is max for him. 

McDavid's deal is honestly a bargain at this point. He's probably worth about $13 or $14M right now.

36 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

NO joke, I am not sure who if anyone would be willing to take Marleaus next year at that cap for diminished production.

Nobody will be lining up to do the Leafs any favours, next year will be the worst for them.  But the following years will possibly be even more severe because they'll have cast off their roll players and depth to keep the big 4, will need to re-sign Muzzin and shore up the defense with no real prospects to fill it all.

It doesn't really get bleak for the Leafs until 2021/2022 at this rate

Florida, Carolina, Phoenix or any of those sunbelt cheapo teams comes to mind.  

As for Matthews, I certainly hopes that he goes for the max.  

34 minutes ago, mll said:

McKenzie and LeBrun think Panarin will get upwards of 10M.  Dreger just the other day says likely 11M x 7 years - he too is a winger.  

Panarin is UFA

Marner is RFA

The difference is very important.

Archived