The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Auston Matthews Could get 11-13 Mill/year contract?

34 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

It honestly all started with Kane/Toews. Since then we've seen Kopitar, Price, Subban, McDavid, etc... But pre Loungo rule stars were getting paid like this, it was just front loaded as all hell.

It just keeps getting worse. Don't get me wrong, these guys are valuable. They're stars, they fill seats and win games. But it's not just them, the supporting cast shouldn't have to make peanuts to play in the NHL. And they don't do all those things on their own. Maybe it'll never change, maybe the NHLPA will turn on each other. I'd expect a lockout either way.

That being said, I don't begrudge athletes to get what they can while they can. Careers can end very quickly. But man.

10 hours ago, mll said:

McKenzie and LeBrun think Panarin will get upwards of 10M.  Dreger just the other day says likely 11M x 7 years - he too is a winger.  

Panarin's on his last contract - he deserves to get paid. Marner's on his first contract... All these exorbitant contracts is not good for the league, should just take a nice and respectable 5.5mil/year like Horvat. If you perform, then you get paid. 

On 1/31/2019 at 2:58 PM, BlueDragon23 said:

Cap hell is on the horizon for Toronto. And it will be fun to see unfold, because $@*% the Laffs.

Don't hold your breath. There is a cap number somewhere that is just high enough to make things work for the leafs. That's where the league raises it to. This the leafs remember

Archived