The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - Edm +

So, as I day dream the night away.....I come up with this...………..

Vancouver trades at TDL

Sutter 25% retained + Goldobin

for

Spooner + Khaira + 2019 2nd

Vancouver trades at the Draft* (trade not made if Boldy or Turcotte are gone)

2019 -1st (12th OA?) + 2020 - 1st (22nd?)

for

Upgraded 2019 1st ( 5th to 8th) (1.Boldy, 2.Turcotte, 3.Krebs 4.Newhook)….(all drafted to play LW with Pettersson)

July 1st UFA/RFA Signings

Vancouver signs UFA - RW Mark Stone  (6 yrs X 10.5)

Vancouver signs RFA - RHD Nikita Tryamkin (2 yrs X 4.5)

2019 - 2020 Lineup

Leivo          Pettersson      Stone                                      Edler          Hughes                                           Markstrom

Baertschi      Horvat          Boeser                                    Tryamkin    Tanev                                             Demko

Khaira         Gaudette       Virtanen                                   Hutton        Sketcher

Rousell         Beagle         Eriksson                                  Juolevi        Gudbranson

Granlund   Motte   Schaller

Prospects

Boldy - NCAA                   Brisebois - AHL                           MacEwen - AHL                     Gaunce - AHL

DiPietro - AHL                  Rathbone - NCAA                       Sautner - AHL                         Chatfield - AHL

Dahlen - AHL                    Lind - AHL                                  Jasek - AHL                             Utunen - SHL

Madden - NCAA               Lockwood - NCAA                      Gadjovich? - AHL                    Brassard - AHL

Woo _ WHL

2019  Draft

2019 1st (Boldy, Turcotte, Krebs, Newhook)

2019 2nd (Van) Albin Gwene

2019 2nd (Edm)  Defenseman (Korczak or Thompson)

2019 3rd (Van) Defenseman  (BPA)

2019 4th (Van) Goalie (BPA)

Comments

Forwards

First if Stone gives us 30 goals and is large enough to make room for Pettersson...…..possession will be up, due to us winning more board battles, and we will keep the puck longer which should take goals against this line...………….we will call this our first line, but Bo's line with Brock on it well be a handful, especially with a healthy Baertschi, and will truly be another 1-a line

The third line will be a handful with Gaudette now getting full time duties, and Jake and newly acquired Khaira, who will be an additional driver......this line will reek havoc……...

The forth line will be a high end #4 line with which will, by the end of the season, will become famous through out the league for shutting down any line and being a plus, while doing it.

My thought is that the forward group a loan, will reduce our goals against by 20 goals a season, while adding  30 goals...……………...depth will be the key, and the little improvements, outside of Stone will be noticeable.

Defense

The upgrade of Hughes, alone will make the PP come alive, and create many more options.....look for an improvement on the PP. His first passes, and zone entries, will collectively add up to a positive increase in our production.

Goaltending

Markstrom is showing great improvements in his play , and with the addition of Demko, goaltending will show marked improvement...….no league leaders, but top 12...…..

No free goals this coming season

Overall.....we should jump into the top 12 in the league, and we be a challenge every night!...…...Fans will be happy, and children will be singing...……..

The Tank club, will shut down

and our prospects will still be adding and improving throughout the year, Making JB's job exciting and difficult

The year after...we will be an actual contender...……..Rousell will be duded the new Burrows, Virtanen will lead the league in hits, and Deb will fall in love with an unknown player, to be named later......

Forcast……….Madden and Woo will have great years, and Benning will have to start think about his riches, Rathbone will make more noise when he is the man, as Fox graduates

McEwen will make it difficult on Benning as well...……………...Tryamkin's parent's will love Vacouver and will make millions on Tilbury investments!.

202o - 2021 will be a great year!

Don't like your draft trade. Keep your firsts and draft BPA where you are. You never know who may fall to a 12ish type spot. Look at Wahlstrom and Dobson falling last year.

Don't sign Stone if thats the money he'll command. Not worth the money and long term cap issues that will come as he slows down. Go after cheaper guys like Ferland who may command around the 6M mark. 

I like your Sutter trade but I want a first for Sutter.

Sutter+Goldy

for

Spooner+1st

3 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Everyone wants to trade Sutter we go back to Novembers losing streak.

No Sutter means Bo needs to play more D. We go to a one attack line. 

One could argue Bo is better off the rush then centre draws. Beagle would get the main defensive tasks and then you could split defensive responsibilities between the other three since they've all shown good defensive awareness.

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

One could argue Bo is better off the rush then centre draws. Beagle would get the main defensive tasks and then you could split defensive responsibilities between the other three since they've all shown good defensive awareness.

We have 2 attack lines Petty and Bo. 2 stiffle lines Beagle and Sutter. Beagle will need help and Gaudette was getting 8 minutes before he was sent back. On top of that everyone was screaming that he needs to develop in the AHL. He was not ready. 

So, Bo will need to help Beagle play the oppositions top lines (most have 2) we miss the playoffs and nose dive for Hughes. November again.

in what world is Tryamkin worth 4.5mil? He hasn't proven anything, and I read that he is getting benched in the KHL? This trend of overpaying mediocre players has to stop: Sutter, Dorsett, Ericsson, Gudbranson, Beagle, Nilsson, MDZ. 

Teams get away with underpaying players. Or they are forced to pay big to star players. We are in a different league and like to overpay our crappy players. 

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

in what world is Tryamkin worth 4.5mil? He hasn't proven anything, and I read that he is getting benched in the KHL? This trend of overpaying mediocre players has to stop: Sutter, Dorsett, Ericsson, Gudbranson, Beagle, Nilsson, MDZ. 

Teams get away with underpaying players. Or they are forced to pay big to star players. We are in a different league and like to overpay our crappy players. 

I think a case can be made for some of those "overpayments" in the past few years. Are we spending too much money a few of these players maybe but I think we are/were paying to bring in leadership players to assist with the rebuild. It was obvious to these veteran players that this team was not going to be a championship calibre team during their time here and in order to land them we had to give some incentive. As much as people might not like the playing style of Sutter, Ericsson or Gudbranson I think they bring more to the team than just their on ice talent. Would we be more satisfied if we had taken the Oiler approach and handed the leadership roles on our team to a group of 19/20/21 year olds that weren't ready for that?

Where would this team be if we didn't have the influence of Dorsett and now Beagle? And in all honesty, what players have we lost out on in the past due to cap space? We are finally becoming a team that can get good players at a reasonable price because we are a team worth playing for.

Well, let me try and convince the inconvincible….lol

First off Stone...…..Stone is a fast, large bodied power forward, that can handle all situations, his 30+ goals offensively, would be a big plus to the team, but the bigger plus is what he gives Pettersson, which is time and space, as Stone is another driver, and will push defensemen back on the rush. Stone's defensive play is solid, and will compliment Pettersson's 200 ft. game. Simply put, Stone allows so many things, as with his presence in the line up, Boeser goes down to Horvat's line, re-uniting Baer/BO/Boeser, this makes other teams worry about us, instead of the other way around.

Khaira, is a great 3rd line player, who carries a big body, and who is a 200 ft. power forward. Along with Gaudette and Virtanen, who is also a big bodied 200 ft, power forward, that has been giving teams fits. This line can cause damage, and can check top lines, as top lines attempt to check them. This is a power line, that is built for the playoffs, it will be a fast tempo line, that will exhaust opposing lines......

Rousel, Beagle and Eriksson will compete every day, and will cause their own nightmares for teams, that are not sure whether to put their 2nd checking line on them, or try and play them straight up and suffer the consequences...this is a great veteran line. 

The addition of Hughes and Tryamkin on defense, can not be overstated enough as they will compliment Edler and Tanev to a tee, and will tighten our defensive end immensely, not only that but, with the addition of these 2, it will push others down the line up, into supporting roles, where they can excel and develop...…. a Hughes/Edler PP unit, gives the PP an huge mobility improvement, and with the addition of Stone up front, will improve our PP by a large amount.

The emergence of Marksman, and the addition of Demko, will have solidified the goaltending, and with the tightening of the defensive zone, with more 200 ft players, the defensive end of the rink will have a lot more clean ice on it.

Now, the trading of 2 for 1 -1st round draft picks is meant to add the final piece to Pettersson's line, with a top end offensive LWer, one that may not be available lower down the 1st round draft list. Having the ability to move up in the draft, may just push us over the top in several years. Both Boldy and Turcotte give Benning the ability to add that piece, that will not be around at a 12th to 15th draft position. ( I am not adverse to Benning using a 2020 2nd to move up 1 or 2 spots, if that is all it takes, saving the 2020 1st) Trading picks is a thing done on the draft floor, if your player you want is within reach, but you do not think he will fall to you, unless you act......it is a fluid thing.

Having Edmonton's 2nd round pick, gives us 2 early mid 2nds, and will allow us to pick good strong secondary players, who will be ripened slowly, on the farm, and will be able to move into those spots that veteran players may move out of in 3 or 4 years. This will be the start of Benning slowly rotating players into the line up, that have matured organically, without the thought of signing additional UFA's.

With so many young Canuck core players, our prospects of Boldy, DiPietro, Woo, Madden, Dahlen will not be pushed into service prematurely...…..I like that!

Back to Stone for a minute...…..Stone allows us to add a instrumental building block, that will be around for 5 or 6 years. He is for all intents and purposes a mature, top end draft pick that would be added at the same time as other important pieces, and who will lift us into the upper super-elite teams. I believe he gives us an immediate 5 or 6 years cup window by himself. We have the money for such a player, and his talent and skill will be equal to that of Pettersson. We will have the cap for this move, even with the needed signings of Boeser, and Pettersson over the next 2 years.

Tryamkin, who is the sticking point to this master plan, will be a great addition and will create his own type of hell for opposing forwards, both on defensive zone entries, and in front of our net...….it should be noted, that with the addition of Stone, and Khaira,  Tryamkin will not feel alone, doing all the heavy lifting, and if Gudbranson remains on the team, the amount of large men, will be intimidating. Jake will have lots of players mentoring him. Beagle and Rousell, will just go out and do their everyday tormenting of the opposition...…...this is a championship team!

With our team core being so young, we are in an envious position of 10 or so years, of continued stock piling of young prospects on the farm, who will get that extra development time, so that when the Eriksson's, Edler's and Tanev's do leave, they are replaced by well manicured prospects, or by acquired veterans, that are on good contracts on other teams, which have been acquired by trading those prospects, much the way Tampa has done to continually build their team.

Tampa Bay, is a machine who pumps out a solid product year in year out...…...that is what I want of us, something that generates it's own inertia....

Hi Jan,

I love these moves, good thinking.

Some potential tweaks if things don’t quite go as planned...

1) There is no need to trade Sutter yet if we can’t get a decent deal for him this year. I could see him continuing to center the 3rd line up until the 2020 TDL if necessary. This allows Gaudette to keep developing in AHL or joining Sutter on the 3rd line.

2) Tryamkin may not be back in 2019. Nor 2020. Or at all. I know you’ve created the Bring Back Tryamkin Club, but it is not a sure thing. If we can’t get him, then I suggest JB aims to secure Myers as a UFA this summer. He would be a good partner for Hughes on the second pairing behind Edler & Tanev. If we can bring back Tram in 2020 then he replaces Guddy and we keep Myers. I know Myers has a sketchy injury history, but we have a need for an experienced RHD.

3) I agree that Stone is the best UFA wing to target this off season. If we can’t get him then Ferland or Anders Lee may be good alternatives. Albeit nowhere near as good as Stone.

Cheers!

Goldy is probably equal to the pick . So if that’s true then we’re looking at Sutter with retention being worth a good bottom 6 winger (which we have tons of) and a cap dump? I’d pass on the deal. Sutter brings a lot to the team. Not everything is about points. Sure Sutter may be a little bit overpaid but if we’re retaining and that’s the best offer I’d rather just keep him. I think if you retain on a guy like Sutter you should be able to get a late 1rst or multiple 2nds from a playoff team trying to improve their bottom 6 Center depth! Think Martin Hanzal like type of value.

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Goldy is probably equal to the pick . So if that’s true then we’re looking at Sutter with retention being worth a good bottom 6 winger (which we have tons of) and a cap dump? I’d pass on the deal. Sutter brings a lot to the team. Not everything is about points. Sure Sutter may be a little bit overpaid but if we’re retaining and that’s the best offer I’d rather just keep him. I think if you retain on a guy like Sutter you should be able to get a late 1rst or multiple 2nds from a playoff team trying to improve their bottom 6 Center depth! Think Martin Hanzal like type of value.

I do agree with you on your points FYS

What I was trying to do is move cap for Stone....I think that is more important, but I do agree the Sutter has better value, I am just not sure we can get it...….

And I really like Stone....albeit a pie in the sky idea....

I just love my Canucks...lol

19 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I do agree with you on your points FYS

What I was trying to do is move cap for Stone....I think that is more important, but I do agree the Sutter has better value, I am just not sure we can get it...….

And I really like Stone....albeit a pie in the sky idea....

I just love my Canucks...lol

Stone would be a great target. Your trade doesn’t save us cap space though as both Spooner and Sutter are signed next year. So we’d be keeping a portion of Sutters contract and Spooners 3+ million. I haven’t done the math but I think we gain cap in this deal plus.

11 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Stone would be a great target. Your trade doesn’t save us cap space though as both Spooner and Sutter are signed next year. So we’d be keeping a portion of Sutters contract and Spooners 3+ million. I haven’t done the math but I think we gain cap in this deal plus.

True, short term you are right, but long term, we are better off.

The reason I targeted Khaira was that I like his up and down game, and aggressive battles

not looking for fighters, just guys who play big and can contribute

Stone just puts us up there, and I am positive we would all like his play....

at the end of the day, a big fast team, that can play it any way, will

win "most" battles

Regardless of outcome, I am so looking forward to the on coming years....

It will be fun again!

1. Poor trade. Downgrading both players, retaining salary, to a divisional rival, essentially for a 2nd. Sutter could return a 2nd on his own, were he to be traded. Probably more (additional 4th / 'B' prospect). Send him to Edmonton and they likely finish better than the Canucks, negating the need to upgrade 1sts.

2. Absolutely no reason for this trade, regardless of the above. One or more of those four players (if those players are even draft targets...) will be available where the Canucks end up. LWers are lowest organizational need.

3. I like Stone. That's far too much money. 8.5 for 5-7 or so is where he'll sign, but doubtful Van is high on his list of destinations. I'd also prefer to see him on Horvat's wing.

Ferland is not a good option anywhere above 4.5 or longer than 3, though he'll likely get more than that somewhere (not the OP's thought, someone else mentioned him, as have many others around here).

3b. Tryamkin is not coming back next year. 4.5 is too much for him, at this point. Perhaps... further down the road.

**Khaira is a decent bottom 6 player. The Canucks have plenty of bottom 6 players, including two Khairas. They are also the easiest players to find/ sign.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Van - Edm +

Archived