The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canuck Player who is most Underrated?

Bertorama

We clearly have some top high end young  Players this year and largely our expected top talent is getting the job done, the clear surprise was Elias having a rookie of the year campaign but I can’t say he’s underrated anymore. 

The Canucks are not a stand out team past our core of Horvat, EP, Brock.... add to that who you want. 

Who stands out for you as the most underrated performer on the team? For what reason ?

I don’t have one I’m interested to hear yours. !! 

22 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Troy Stecher - Leads the Canucks D in even strength points at 16, leads the team in +/- with +16, battles hard game in and game out. I don't know what his fancy stats are but he definitely passes my eye test.

I’d agree with this. Stecher is probably our most underrated player. In addition to the team leading 5v5 points and +/- you noted, his “fancy stats” profile is probably the best on our D. Certainly he has the best 5v5 advanced stats of any Canucks defenceman playing significant minutes. And he also has very good special teams advanced stats, and probably deserves to see more icetime (especially on the PP).

3 hours ago, xereau said:

StecherStache1.png.be649293ff751f6374aa1d1b4b4a1f38.png

Hilarious dude! 

Oh hey... you might know, heard a rumour we might be bringing back that super ugly skate uniform back, any truth to that? Those colours too are hideous!!! Omg whoever came up with that Jersey should be slapped silly!

4 hours ago, boziffous said:

Troy Stecher - Leads the Canucks D in even strength points at 16, leads the team in +/- with +16, battles hard game in and game out. I don't know what his fancy stats are but he definitely passes my eye test.

This. Honourable mentions to Baertschi and Motte, and Leivo. Not flashy, fancy or much talked about, but since his arrival things have gone up and he has been a very solid contributor.

Motte

The guy plays his guts out and has a motor.  A 4th liner has 7 goals on the season and plays physical while being small is a hard act.  

Granlund.  

A utility guy that doesn't complain and is willing to play any role.  

Stecher.  For those that think Hutton is a revelation, Stecher is the reason.  

Jake.  Been beaten on by fans and media since being picked.  Had to learn the hard way and is already a consistent two way player finally figuring out how to score in the NHL.  

Eriksson.  The 6 million dollar man has been humbled but still shows up to play, kills penalties, team guy, doesn't sulk about his diminished role.  

The entire front office, JB the redeemer and Green the rookie whisperer have proven themselves right.  The plan put in place is paying off and the team is built to play the right kind of game fans want to see.  

Motte and Stecher. Both undersized guys that work their tails off to be where they are. Takes a special player to overcome their height deficit to not only become NHLers but become effective NHLers. Especially given their strengths are on the defensive end which smaller players are usually considered to be naturally weaker at. Imagine if Goldy had the fight/dog of either player, he could be an amazing for us.

Archived