The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Feb. 04, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Hart was solid but frankly not spectacular 

had clean views of shots and made a desperation diving save that goalies try for every game and every once in a while the puck hits them 

His team played remarkably well defensively in front of him. Blocking 30 shots and keeping the Canucks to the outside all night. The Canucks had maybe 3 grade 'A' scoring chances all night. Virtanen's break away and Goldy's point blank rebound are the only two I can think of.

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I dunno... it definitely went in the net. I don't think it was covered but, it's not an easy call for the refs." - Green on Virtanen no-goal

Would anyone be happy if the Canucks got scored on after 4 whacks and a whistle? Take the homer glasses off , sorry ,the refs called that right. 

3 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

His team played remarkably well defensively in front of him. Blocking 30 shots and keeping the Canucks to the outside all night. The Canucks had maybe 3 grade 'A' scoring chances all night. Virtanen's break away and Goldy's point blank rebound are the only two I can think of.

Totally agree 

lots of shots but all from the outside with no rebounds because they kept us out of the triangle 

Feels like we got jobbed on that quick whistle but ultimately it was Carter Hart who stole this game. He wasn't spectacular until the 3rd, the ice was tilted & he held the Flyers in.

The Flyers didn't look like a team on an 8 game winning streak at all. Even with Hart (as good as he was) if we had even an average NHL defense we could have won this game or atleast forced OT. Bitter way to lose. These are the points playoff teams find ways to get, but the boys battled hard at the end. Hart made 41 saves. 

They need to figure out this defense. Gudbranson & Pouliot are a trainwreck. I feel bad for Pouliot he's really lost his confidence, & it shows when he has to move the puck under pressure. Gudbranson despite his size simply has average defensive awareness & isn't good at moving the puck. Hughes will be a huge upgrade on Pouliot, but they gotta figure out the right side. 

3 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Would anyone be happy if the Canucks got scored on after 4 whacks and a whistle? Take the homer glasses off , sorry ,the refs called that right. 

Nope wrong puck was never covered if it goes in on my goalie and no whistle right call

6 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

If the puck was covered you'd have a point. It wasn't so you don't. 

17 minutes ago, Wilfred said:

TIL Number of save == quality saves.

You're free to your opinion just as I am mine. And like I said, in my opinion, there was 1 standout save and whole lot of other not high quality chances that were stopped, with rebounds given up the entire game long. I don't think he stood on his head at all, not even close. Giving up rebounds left and right is not standing on your head. It's giving the opposing team second chances. The Canucks could not capitalize on the second chances because they lost all the battles for them to the Flyers D and forwards. 

Exactly. We watched the same game. Not sure which game some of these other guys were watching.

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

How does Pouliot get powerplay time?

seriously Green 

play 5 forwards 

When I saw Poo out there on the PP I couldn't believe it either! Why not give Stecher a shot???

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They need to figure out this defense. Gudbranson & Pouliot are a trainwreck. I feel bad for Pouliot he's really lost his confidence, & it shows when he has to move the puck under pressure. Gudbranson despite his size simply has average defensive awareness & isn't good at moving the puck. Hughes will be a huge upgrade on Pouliot, but they gotta figure out the right side. 

Yeah Guddy didn't look gud at all. How many times did we see him hold the puck behind the net for a dozen seconds only to pass it in someone's skates or directly to the other team? Not exactly an adept play when you've got all the time and space in the world.

I think ideally Stecher is the #4/5 & you find an upgrade on Gudbranson.

I appreciate his size & toughness but the big problem to me is he struggles to move the puck. He had a better game tonight with his puck decisions but so many nights he ends up just icing it. Even then if he was a terrific defensive player I could look past that too, but he's really just average defensively especially when it comes to reading the play.

Archived