The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Learn to Code

406in604

How did this become offensive, abusive or triggering? I learned to code when  I was 15. Never thought I would see journalists being 'triggered' by the term. They are banning people on Twitter for saying those three words. Quite a time we live in. Any other coders in here?

Context: https://www.theringer.com/tech/2019/1/29/18201695/learn-to-code-twitter-abuse-buzzfeed-journalists

It's more to do with telling the journalists to find a new career more than anything.

It really shows how abusive the internet can get unfortunately. It doesn't matter if the journalist was fairly or unfairly laid off at that point. Abusive campaigns like this just eliminate the context and show how anonymity turn people into full on bullies.

There was a guy in 2017 who was teaching out-of-work coal miners how to use code for web development. A bunch of articles were written about it. It really wasn't all that big of a deal. Then somebody said it to one of the women who were fired from BuzzFeed and she had a total mental collapse. Now people are using it as a weapon and the feeble-minded weak-willed twitter warriors (blue check mark army) are crying bloody murder over a simple phrase.

Quote: The hashtag began trending after the announcements that thousands of journalists had been laid off from various "news" organizations including Buzzfeed and the Huffington Post. Some Twitter users seized the moment to give journos the same advice that was given to coal miners who were laid off during the Obama era thanks to overregulation: “Learn to code.”

So basically "they" (the left) are having a full blown temper tantrum on twitter over a phrase they coined.

It's ironically hilarious

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Coders are planetists and bigoted. Why is the first program they ever code always "Hello World." Why not "Hello Jupiter" or "Hello Uranus?" Is it because Jupiter in comparison to Earth is fat, and Uranus compared to Earth is dark? Shameful behavior we're teaching our children. 

PET computer @ Eatons circa 1980 - I would break out of the display, and code "Hello World" in BASIC lol

22 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

qbasic ? 

*oldies high-five*

Geez, even I dabbled in Qbasic back in the day.  I got A+ in computer science for a game I programmed.  It was basic af but I did all the music and it was pretty epic lol. 

12 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Geez, even I dabbled in Qbasic back in the day.  I got A+ in computer science for a game I programmed.  It was basic af but I did all the music and it was pretty epic lol. 

haha

i made an airline ticket booking system in q-basic once as a school project. about 10,000 lines of sheer hell. 

2 hours ago, butters said:

of course if you read the article you would know its actually nothing to do with the concept of learning to program. Its just people harassing people who got laid off. Learn to read.

Its telling them to get a different job. Why is that offensive?

Archived