The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Auston Matthews

15 minutes ago, mll said:

His agent clarified that he felt they lowballed him last summer - quote was incomplete re timeline.  He says they are not far off.  He thinks Marner deserves as much as Matthews btw.

Thanks for the update @mll

I guess Matthews, being a center, might deserve more.  He does have a far greater defensive responsibility.  I think Marner drives the play better though.  Maybe it’s like the Toews and Kane scenario?  Didn’t they each get the same contract, even though Kane was by far the more dynamic offensive player?  

On 2/6/2019 at 4:46 AM, EagleShield said:

Assuming a $79.5 million cap hit and the retirement of Marleau, the Leafs will have $19 million to sign 11 players.

If they offload Zaitsev and sign Marner at $10m, they'll have $13.5 to add 11 players, including a backup goalie (~$1.5m), 3 or 4 defensemen (only Rielly and Muzzin are established, maybe Dermott too) one of whom will need to experienced (~$5.5m with 3 rookies in the D corps). $4 million to add 6 forwards? Good luck!

Kapanen will be available, and cheaply. Zaitsev and Kapanen for Gudbranson with 2 million retained (if they bite) would be huge.

Why the hell would we retain salary? That is beyond stupid on our part. Not to mention, Zaitsev's contract sucks, whereas Gudbranson only has two years left after this year.

On 2/5/2019 at 10:25 AM, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Was expecting over 12. Not a bad signing by the Leafs. That's 22.5M for 2 centers... 30M for 3 players with Nylander... Yikes... 

For us, 30M covers:

Horvat 
Pettersson
Edler
Tanev
Boeser
Stecher
Baertschi
Hutton
Virtanen.... 

Not for long it won't. EP is going to get rich. Boeser as well. Both to an extent. 

On 2/8/2019 at 7:05 PM, Alflives said:

Thanks for the update @mll

I guess Matthews, being a center, might deserve more.  He does have a far greater defensive responsibility.  I think Marner drives the play better though.  Maybe it’s like the Toews and Kane scenario?  Didn’t they each get the same contract, even though Kane was by far the more dynamic offensive player?  

I don't buy the 'Matthews is a center' angle. He isn't particularly good defensively, doesn't kill penalties, is average on the dot, and doesn't even play C on the powerplay often.

Marner has played C before, incidentally. He's decent defensively (given that he's 'just' a winger) as well as being far more dynamic an offensive player. One could make the arguement that goals are more valuable than assists, but Marner can score just fine. If he got a little greedy he could pot 40 himself.

Marner 》 Matthews.

2 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

I don't buy the 'Matthews is a center' angle. He isn't particularly good defensively, doesn't kill penalties, is average on the dot, and doesn't even play C on the powerplay often.

Marner has played C before, incidentally. He's decent defensively (given that he's 'just' a winger) as well as being far more dynamic an offensive player. One could make the arguement that goals are more valuable than assists, but Marner can score just fine. If he got a little greedy he could pot 40 himself.

Marner 》 Matthews.

I really like Marner too.  Hate the Leafs, but Marner is a really good player, who plays the right way.  

Is there a no trade clause in this deal?

if not, I wonder how long Matthews will really be a Leaf. When Leafs realize they can’t extend beyond those 5 years, and don’t want him to walk away for nothing as a UFA, wouldn’t they want to deal him  in 3 or 4 years to get some kind of return?

Archived