The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Auston Matthews

Just now, Warhippy said:

How the hell is that not cap circumvention?  Something tells me they close this loophole next CBA or int he next 18 months.  Imagine of course Vancouver does this to Boeser/Pettersson and they Luongo Law the crap out of the Canucks for it

It's not circumvention, the signing bonus factors into the cap hit.

Feels like the NHL should just go NFL and have a hard cap with front loaded salaries with huge signing bonuses. Clearly teams are already going that way.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ideally dump Zaitsev to someone. Convince Marleau to move? But that is going to cost them big time.

I suppose they can fake another LTIR situation? 

I hope the other teams GM's see the corner they have painted themselves into and do NOTHING to help them out. I like how these teams that try to circumvent the draft system get greedy and it backfires on them. That's Karma for yah!::D

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ideally dump Zaitsev to someone. Convince Marleau to move? But that is going to cost them big time.

I suppose they can fake another LTIR situation? 

Zaitsev is 4.5 million until 2024.  He makes Gudbranson look offensively gifted and has all the push back of a sedated Sedin.

Nobody is taking that contract off of their hands.

Nylander, Gardiner and Marleau gone will give them $17.25 million in cap space.

But, then they have to replace 2 top 6 forwards and a top 4 defence man PLUS still fill the other 9 roster spots with that cap space plus the current $14 million remaining for next season.  As there going average on the lowest possible end for a top 6 forward is $4.75 million and the going average for a 4-5 defence man is also $4.75 million on the lowest possible end.  I dare say that money is going to be spent damned fast and I expect at least 1 stupid Lucic/Eriksson type signing in free agency for them.

They're in a lot of trouble

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I hope the other teams GM's see the corner they have painted themselves into and do NOTHING to help them out. I like how these teams that try to circumvent the draft system get greedy and it backfires on them. That's Karma for yah!::D

apparently they had trade partners and there were offers made to Nylanders camp on extensions. They really needed to move Willie, they proved they could score at will some nights without him, and yet? "we can and we will". Arrogance by Dubas has led them to this. I think GMs will just look at him like an idiot for not doing the right thing and moving on from Nylander. 

If Nylander continues to suck then there will be fewer trade options for him too, he looked like a guaranteed 65 point guy before this season, but now?

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

Not for long though, as Mathews numbers will effect Boeser and Pettersons numbers down the road

Excellent point.  A team's top players are going to eat up most of the Cap.  It's super important JB doesn't do a TO and give 7 million to a Fop.  JB is identifying and drafting wisely.  

49 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Was expecting over 12. Not a bad signing by the Leafs. That's 22.5M for 2 centers... 30M for 3 players with Nylander... Yikes... 

For us, 30M covers:

Horvat 
Pettersson
Edler
Tanev
Boeser
Stecher
Baertschi
Hutton
Virtanen.... 

We will have to resign Boeser this off-season and in a couple of years we will have to sign EP. EP's contract will dictate Canucks cap space for years to come.

Here comes another lockout.  We got teams signing goalies that have no business getting contracts just so they're prepared for the next expansion draft, we see massive deals getting signed and those players getting traded months later, and now we got teams that have majority of their cap tied up in 2-3 players.  And since when does a 'bonus' count towards 98% of the total deal?  If the Canucks did that they would strip this city of it's franchise, but TO does it and it's ok.

53 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I wonder why Toronto didn't push for a full 8 years.  Maybe Matthews wanted 5 so he could have a shot at the Cup then skip out of town and go home to Arizona to play for the Coyotes.

Because the AAV would have been too high.  From Friedman's 31 thoughts:

My take is this: both team and agent Judd Moldaver see an eight-year deal as extremely unlikely. The salary would be too high for the team, which wants to keep the best possible team around him and knows Mitch Marner’s agent, Darren Ferris, is waiting to see Matthews’s cap number. A four-year contract walks him right to unrestricted free agency, so that’s not happening. We’re looking at a five- or six-year contract. That puts the number under Connor McDavid’s $12.5 million, but exactly where is what’s still to be decided. 

26 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Marleau has another year left at 6.25mil with a NMC. He is going nowhere and even if he retired the cap hit stays.

I meant FOR next year.  The last year of his contract with an NMC/NTC, Leafs fans are under the assumption he'll be happy to take a trade anywhere to get the cap off their books.  Next year the most difficult year they'll see if they manage to shed those 3 contracts that will leave them just over $31 million in space but with then 3 major roster spots to fill at UFA rates or hope and pray for rookies to carry the team, and the other 9 contracts via RFA/UFA 

I just don't see the Leafs doing it :)

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Zaitsev is 4.5 million until 2024.  He makes Gudbranson look offensively gifted and has all the push back of a sedated Sedin.

Nobody is taking that contract off of their hands.

They do if Kapanen comes along with it.

The Leafs won’t be able to sign him anyways, so they may need to sweeten some pots to get rid of dead money.

This signing I have absolutely nothing against. Matthews is the guy you pay absolute top dollar for. Marleau, Zaitsev, Nylander are the ones they are bound to regret. Tavares is also a guy I think was worth the money now and well into the future. 

I cant say I could have predicted how Nylander was gonna do when he came back. But they were just fine without him and should have used that knowledge to their advantage and traded for a ’Tanev’ type of player or maybe someone younger even.

Dubas knew what the pricetag was going to be on Austons contract when he signed Nylander, so he knows where this is leading them. The question is what he’ll do with the remainder of his puzzle.

To me it looked like he had mentally made a his choice between Kapanen and Nylander in december. Right now it looks kind of 50/60, but I’m sure Nylander can bounce back next year with camp and good preparation.

I don’t see him altering from that plan, and I believe he’ll move Kapanen before the deadline, possibly in a deal that includes Zaitsev. If he turns around and moves William now for cap space, he’ll look like a fool and like he has no vision or plan for his team.

I think Toronto has an exciting team and I have nothing against the Leafs so I hope he can work things out and prove he has what it takes to build a team that can compete for years. 

1 minute ago, Provost said:

They do if Kapanen comes along with it.

The Leafs won’t be able to sign him anyways, so they may need to sweeten some pots to get rid of dead money.

Which is to say the Leafs will have to do what the Hawks did and get rid of quality youth for essentially cap relief and late picks

I'd be ok with that

Archived