The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Auston Matthews

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Which is to say the Leafs will have to do what the Hawks did and get rid of quality youth for essentially cap relief and late picks

I'd be ok with that

Yep, they will be shedding picks and prospects to keep under the cap.

Chicago made it work for a little while before it blew up in their faces, but they were really lucky it could go terribly from day one basically for Toronto.

48 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

It's not circumvention, the signing bonus factors into the cap hit.

Feels like the NHL should just go NFL and have a hard cap with front loaded salaries with huge signing bonuses. Clearly teams are already going that way.

I have a question, maybe you can help me understand.

I understand that signing bonuses factor into the cap hit, but what is the benefit of such a high signing bonus with such a low salary?  
Does this mean that Toronto is on the hook for the signing bonus in the future, no matter if he is traded to another team....?  ...or?  

I guess I don't understand the the difference between a signing bonus and salary

3 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

I have a question, maybe you can help me understand.

I understand that signing bonuses factor into the cap hit, but what is the benefit of such a high signing bonus with such a low salary?  
Does this mean that Toronto is on the hook for the signing bonus in the future, no matter if he is traded to another team....?  ...or?  

I guess I don't understand the the difference between a signing bonus and salary

From what I understand, it protects the player from a lockout. You still get your signing bonus but not a salary during a lockout. He also gets it upfront at the beginning of each year rather than spaced out over the year. Money now is better than money later.

And on the team end, it makes it easier to trade to a low cash team that needs to hit a cap floor. The leafs would pay the bonus, then trade the player so the new team (Coyotes) pay only the salary but get to claim the high aav for cap.

49 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

How the hell is that not cap circumvention?  Something tells me they close this loophole next CBA or int he next 18 months.  Imagine of course Vancouver does this to Boeser/Pettersson and they Luongo Law the crap out of the Canucks for it

Just a question... how does it circumvent the cap? 

From my looking at the contract numbers it seems to me they did it this way in order to make his trade value as sky high as possible for the final season of his contract. Maybe a trade after the SB has been paid out in his final year. 

If anything this looks like they may have a plan in place of trading him to cap floor team and making him very lucrative for a team like Arizona to give up the farm for (assuming they are still there in 2023)

The leafs would be on board with that if the haul was enough

AM would be on board with it

Arizona would be on board with it for many reasons including reaching the cap floor plus superstar power that actually wants to be there.

The NHL would be on board with it so they don't have to relocate/fold Coyotes

Seems more of a premeditated trade scenario from a conspiracy POV than cap circumvention.  

58 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

It's not circumvention, the signing bonus factors into the cap hit.

Feels like the NHL should just go NFL and have a hard cap with front loaded salaries with huge signing bonuses. Clearly teams are already going that way.

NHLPA would definitely strike if they went that way... No way hockey players would give up guaranteed contracts without massive backlash... though that may be what the league/owners are trying for here. 

Terminating Mike Richard's contract in LA may have the league looking for more ways in which teams can do things like that in the next CBA though. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That is the best they could have hoped for.

Still going to be a tough dance once they figure a similar length deal for Marner at $10 million or more.

Someone's getting traded this summer or at the deadline. I think Nylander will be moved for more help on defense and probably another 1st for future.

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

I'm a dumbass when it comes to contracts... Can someone explain to me why there's so much money tied up to signing bonuses as opposed to base salary?

EDIT: But what a terrible AAV, and for only 5 years nonetheless.

30 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Just a question... how does it circumvent the cap? 

From my looking at the contract numbers it seems to me they did it this way in order to make his trade value as sky high as possible for the final season of his contract. Maybe a trade after the SB has been paid out in his final year. 

If anything this looks like they may have a plan in place of trading him to cap floor team and making him very lucrative for a team like Arizona to give up the farm for (assuming they are still there in 2023)

The leafs would be on board with that if the haul was enough

AM would be on board with it

Arizona would be on board with it for many reasons including reaching the cap floor plus superstar power that actually wants to be there.

The NHL would be on board with it so they don't have to relocate/fold Coyotes

Seems more of a premeditated trade scenario from a conspiracy POV than cap circumvention.  

Just my theory but I could be wrong for sure. The other option is that AM camp wanted it that way so if anything happened like a lockout he would still get paid mostly for that season. 

3 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I'm a dumbass when it comes to contracts... Can someone explain to me why there's so much money tied up to signing bonuses as opposed to base salary?

They get the money upfront instead of over the season. I also believe that they would get that money regardless of a lockout as the CBA would still be in effect when bonus is due.

The other bonus is in that 5th year at the TDL his cap is next to zero which would make him very desirable if he was to be traded.  

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I wonder why Toronto didn't push for a full 8 years.  Maybe Matthews wanted 5 so he could have a shot at the Cup then skip out of town and go home to Arizona to play for the Coyotes.

would have been closer to 13 for longer term.. this is better for Matthews because in 5 years, he'll cash in big time.. 

unless he sucks.. 

59 minutes ago, mll said:

Because the AAV would have been too high.  From Friedman's 31 thoughts:

My take is this: both team and agent Judd Moldaver see an eight-year deal as extremely unlikely. The salary would be too high for the team, which wants to keep the best possible team around him and knows Mitch Marner’s agent, Darren Ferris, is waiting to see Matthews’s cap number. A four-year contract walks him right to unrestricted free agency, so that’s not happening. We’re looking at a five- or six-year contract. That puts the number under Connor McDavid’s $12.5 million, but exactly where is what’s still to be decided. 

That's bass ackwards.  Most players give up a little in salary for long term stability.  That's why FA's look for 7-8 years.  I guess it's different when you're one of the top players in the league under 25 as opposed to a player in your first year of UFA.  You actually have 31 other choices.

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Big money and buying up zero ufa years. Ultimate fail by the Leafs.

Bought 1 year of UFA. You are right though.

Their biggest mistake came by not signing AM and MM this summer. Probably could have got AM for a JT contract, and Marner for much lower than they will be this summer.

3 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

would have been closer to 13 for longer term.. this is better for Matthews because in 5 years, he'll cash in big time.. 

unless he sucks.. 

I still think he's mainly looking to go to the Coyotes as soon as he's done in Toronto.  Can't blame him.  The 5 years brings him exactly to his first second year of UFA status.

Archived