The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Auston Matthews

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's bass ackwards.  Most players give up a little in salary for long term stability.  That's why FA's look for 7-8 years.  I guess it's different when you're one of the top players in the league under 25 as opposed to a player in your first year of UFA.  You actually have 31 other choices.

Yes. When players are young, longer term is more ideal for teams as the next contract will be higher for the player. For older players, longer term is more ideal for players as it might be their last.

1 minute ago, Tower102 said:

Yes. When players are young, longer term is more ideal for teams as the next contract will be higher for the player. For older players, longer term is more ideal for players as it might be their last.

Well, I guess I'll give Eichel a huge thank you card the next game I go to see at the arena.  He was gung-ho for a full 8 years right from the start. 

Like I said in my post on top, hard to blame Matthews though for refusing a full term contract and wanting out of Toronto as soon as he turns 26-27 and hits UFA status.

Those that are speculating Nylander may be traded at the TDL or off season may not be aware of the following:

In his first session with the Toronto media since signing a new contract, William Nylander revealed that general manager Kyle Dubas pledged to him on multiple occasions that as long as he's running the Maple Leafs, the Swede won't be traded. 

Dubas obviously could renege on this but he would lose a lot of credibility with existing players and potential UFA signings. Why would anyone ever believe any commitments he may make in the future? Leafs are going to have to send a lot of players to Robidas Island and fill out the rest of their roster with nothing but ELC's.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Those that are speculating Nylander may be traded at the TDL or off season may not be aware of the following:

In his first session with the Toronto media since signing a new contract, William Nylander revealed that general manager Kyle Dubas pledged to him on multiple occasions that as long as he's running the Maple Leafs, the Swede won't be traded. 

Dubas obviously could renege on this but he would lose a lot of credibility with existing players and potential UFA signings. Why would anyone ever believe any commitments he may make in the future? Leafs are going to have to send a lot of players to Robidas Island and fill out the rest of their roster with nothing but ELC's.

How many times have we heard from a GM that the coach has his vote of confidence, only to be fired a week or two later?

If he doesn't have a no-trade clause, it means nothing.  If the economics of the game dictates that Nylander needs to move, then that's what will happen.

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

And Nylander believed him ?!?!?  LOL

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Dumbas signed that lazy floater to a contract so bad he's untradeable.  Toronto will have to retain salary to get rid of Nylander unless he starts attempting to play like an NHLer.

24 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

Bought 1 year of UFA. You are right though.

Their biggest mistake came by not signing AM and MM this summer. Probably could have got AM for a JT contract, and Marner for much lower than they will be this summer.

Ah I was just looking at his age being 26 at the end of the deal but you are correct. He will have completed the mandatory 7 seasons before then.

Either way if I were a leafs fan I would have rather signed him to 3 years and still have his rights instead of 5 and none.

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:

Just a question... how does it circumvent the cap? 

From my looking at the contract numbers it seems to me they did it this way in order to make his trade value as sky high as possible for the final season of his contract. Maybe a trade after the SB has been paid out in his final year. 

If anything this looks like they may have a plan in place of trading him to cap floor team and making him very lucrative for a team like Arizona to give up the farm for (assuming they are still there in 2023)

The leafs would be on board with that if the haul was enough

AM would be on board with it

Arizona would be on board with it for many reasons including reaching the cap floor plus superstar power that actually wants to be there.

The NHL would be on board with it so they don't have to relocate/fold Coyotes

Seems more of a premeditated trade scenario from a conspiracy POV than cap circumvention.  

Maybe cap circumvention is the wrong term.  But by ensuring his salary is under $1 million per year it is certainly gaming the system without question making him FAR more attractive to less lucrative teams like Airzona/Florida.

Much like you said, a premeditated trade scenario.  

41 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Just my theory but I could be wrong for sure. The other option is that AM camp wanted it that way so if anything happened like a lockout he would still get paid mostly for that season. 

Now THAT makes much more sense overall.  I've been pretty vocal since about 2012/2013 about the likelihood of a new lockout once the CBA was up.  I was actually laughed at over a thread I made regarding it because people were sure that GMs would somehow control themselves...until Zaitsevs and Lucic's were getting those crazy contracts

I still feel as though a short term lock out has a very serious chance of happening and a contract like that would be a surefire way to avoid it

11 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I agree. Dubas has always said that Nylander was in his core. It will be interesting to see how they make it all fit. I bet Gilman is doing much of the heavy lifting on the contract work for Dubas. Whether people admit it or not, he did a masterful job of keeping the core together here.

32 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Well, I guess I'll give Eichel a huge thank you card the next game I go to see at the arena.  He was gung-ho for a full 8 years right from the start. 

Like I said in my post on top, hard to blame Matthews though for refusing a full term contract and wanting out of Toronto as soon as he turns 26-27 and hits UFA status.

I don't feel like it's Matthews necessarily wanting out of TO asap, the contract just gives him all the leverage to receive max value in his contract year whether it be with TO or another team.

51 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I still think he's mainly looking to go to the Coyotes as soon as he's done in Toronto.  Can't blame him.  The 5 years brings him exactly to his first year of UFA status.

true enough. a lot can happen in 5 years - he might even get a cup.. then maybe he wants to go home to help out the team he grew up watching.. if they're still in AZ 

Numbers are pretty much as expected.  

Marner at 9 mill. They trade Zaietsev in summer with a sweetener

Marleau only paid 1.5 mill for next season. I expect him to be traded july 2nd or later after bonus money paid. Hell go to a cap bottom team and retire like Datsyuk. 

1 hour ago, CanuckinEdm said:

They get the money upfront instead of over the season. I also believe that they would get that money regardless of a lockout as the CBA would still be in effect when bonus is due.

The other bonus is in that 5th year at the TDL his cap is next to zero which would make him very desirable if he was to be traded.  

Not correct. His cap hit doesn't change. 

His cap hit is AAV. Only benefit is the bonus can be paid by leafs and a very low salary will be paid by ARZ. 

This won't  happen with AM as he'll be in his prime. 

Marleau is perfect candidate for this scenario. His 3 year contract was signed with this scenario in mind. 

Next year marleau will get 3 mill signing bonus on July 1st. After that he'll get traded to cap floor team. He could retire as his remaining salary will be 1.5 mill. 

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Not correct. His cap hit doesn't change

His cap hit is AAV. Only benefit is the bonus can be paid by leafs and a very low salary will be paid by ARZ. 

This won't  happen with AM as he'll be in his prime. 

Marleau is perfect candidate for this scenario. His 3 year contract was signed with this scenario in mind. 

Next year marleau will get 3 mill signing bonus on July 1st. After that he'll get traded to cap floor team. He could retire as his remaining salary will be 1.5 mill. 

Marleau has a no movement clause.

Archived