The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Auston Matthews

55 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I don't feel like it's Matthews necessarily wanting out of TO asap, the contract just gives him all the leverage to receive max value in his contract year whether it be with TO or another team.

I have no doubt that he wants to go home to Phoenix as soon as he can.  It's his home that he occasionally pines on about and there is very little state income tax.

54 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Pettersson and Mathews have identical stats this year. 3 less games for Matthews but Pettersson with the better +/- .

That's very impressive of EP considering Mathews got a stacked roster to both pass the puck to and receive the puck from. Toronto also have a much better team goals differential than the Canucks and EP still ends up with better +/- than Mathews, that speaks a lot about EP as a player.

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I still think he's mainly looking to go to the Coyotes as soon as he's done in Toronto.  Can't blame him.  The 5 years brings him exactly to his first year of UFA status.

Matthews gives up a UFA year and according to BMac had no issue signing for 8 years but at a higher cap hit. 

Still overpayment by the Leafs but I would lock up my franchise center and build the rest around him.

24 minutes ago, Toews said:

Matthews gives up a UFA year and according to BMac had no issue signing for 8 years but at a higher cap hit. 

Still overpayment by the Leafs but I would lock up my franchise center and build the rest around him.

I understand what everyone, including those tweeting are saying, but if he wanted to fully commit to the Leafs, he wouldn't nickel and dime them over an extra 2 or 3 years.  Eichel had the same information to decide as Matthews, but even said flat out that he didn't want to quibble over salary so the Sabres could build a team around him.

5 minutes ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

yea trade him while he is red hot and has the highest value lmao

I wouldn't call 2 goals and 7 assists in 24 games 'red hot'.  Besides, I think he will go in the off-season, most likely at the draft.

They gotta clear space for Marner.  Nylander probably has the best trade-value-to-cap-hit ratio.

Just now, billabong said:

Matthews is a great player but he will be the 2nd highest paid player for accomplishing what exactly? 

He scores lots of goals but if you’re the 2nd highest paid player you should have some legitimate hardware to back it up 

With him, Toronto is a contender.  Without him, they aren't.  He had them by the cajones just as much as they did him as an RFA.  He could have pulled the trigger and taken himself to RFA and I guarantee at least one team would have damned the consequences and offer sheeted him a deal that Toronto couldn't match.

Leafs are screwed.

Without Marner signed they have 7.5 mil cap space for next year https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

Marner will get similar money, if the Leafs think otherwise they are fooling themselves, he (marner) is arguably their MVP. Then you also have to sign Kapannen who's going to command 4 mil at least, and a few others to sign as well. Along with two holes on defense, (sure gardiner is gone)....

Add in if someone offer sheets Marner, they are really screwed.

2 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I wouldn't call 2 goals and 7 assists in 24 games 'red hot'.  Besides, I think he will go in the off-season, most likely at the draft.

They gotta clear space for Marner.  Nylander probably has the best trade-value-to-cap-hit ratio.

I wish the Sabres could get rid of their underperforming/slacking Nylander.  Fortunately the one they have isn't under a large contract and is only a drag on the AHL club.

Just now, 40Dangles said:

Leafs are screwed.

Without Marner signed they have 7.5 mil cap space for next year https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

Marner will get similar money, if the Leafs think otherwise they are fooling themselves, he (marner) is arguably their MVP. Then you also have to sign Kapannen who's going to command 4 mil at least, and a few others to sign as well. Along with two holes on defense, (sure gardiner is gone)....

Add in if someone offer sheets Marner, they are really screwed.

If they're smart, they'll dump Nylander on another team.  Maybe they can sucker another team into a 2019 1st round pick to replace the one they traded away 5 weeks ago.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

If they're smart, they'll dump Nylander on another team.  Maybe they can sucker another team into a 2019 1st round pick to replace the one they traded away 5 weeks ago.

Even if Nylander finishes well, the fact he and his agent pushed to be overpaid, and his dad's history - people will not pay full value for him. He comes across as me first, few teams will give up alot for that.

Just now, 40Dangles said:

Even if Nylander finishes well, the fact he and his agent pushed to be overpaid, and his dad's history - people will not pay full value for him. He comes across as me first, few teams will give up alot for that.

You only need to find one sucker out of 31.

Archived