The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Washington Capitals | Feb. 05, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

4. It was surprising and impressive to see the Canucks make such a strong comeback in the second and third periods.. I would say that the Canucks outplayed the Capitals over the last two periods. Once again, the Canucks were unlucky with the posts and it looked to me like the third Washington goal was hit with a high stick, although I agree that the replay was not completely definitive. While it looked like the puck was hit with a high stick it is possible that it was not, so the refs went with the call on the ice. The Canucks deserved at least a point tonight and probably deserved two.

The certainly tilted their way, it was surprising how many Capitals suddenly started coasting, maybe that what has caused so many losses lately, they sure didn't play like they did against Boston.

Remember they were going to try out/use the new tech in some games this season, the bug in the puck measures movement if deflected it measures everything, height of contact as well. This new tech is not in all arenas or for public use yet.

Markstrom stole another one, the score could easily been 3 zip at the end of the first period.

The western conference is so bad this year the Canucks will be in the playoff hunt until the last 2 weeks of the season, but 7 other teams will be as well.

10 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

This is what can happen when a team makes the playoffs before it is ready and fan expectations are encouraged that the team is ready or that good. Without a doubt the Oilers have more skilled forwards than the Canucks but their defence and goaltending is not up to par.

If Markstrom played the same as last year and so many teams were not so bad this year the playoff possibility would look a little different.

Compared to last year the Canucks have only 3 wins more, 54 games 21 wins, 33 losses, 140 GF 176 GA

This season 54 games, 24 wins, 30 losses, 155 GF, 167 GA

There is improvement and the younger players are the backbone now.

BTW, IMO Jake is starting to drive/carry whatever line he is on.

Caps looked like more seasoned team for sure. They moved the puck around well..

And They played like confident veterans (got away with a lot of those borderline holding, interference.. etc.)

They played physical on our D and I think that paid off as some of our D coughed up some bad giveaways when pressured. 

Effort was there. 

We couldnt seal the deal; Washington could.

Hope the boys learned a thing or two from this game. 

46 minutes ago, therodigy said:

If anything, I'm surprised more people haven't made comments on Hutton's 28 minutes of ice time and still coming out a +1. 

Hutton and Stecher played great games. I like how Greens' tough love has got BH going this year. What a turn around! Tanev was lost on the left side of the ice, and almost got killed a couple of times looking the wrong way. I would like to see Brisbois play over Biega and or Pouliot. Beagle and Motte work hard, would love to see one bounce in off their backside, knee, or somewhere. I hope we never have to see Schaller on the ice again. Granlund is smarter, more skilled, and just as fast. Where would this team be without Markstrom?

After a good sleep, I’m still upset at the way that game ended. Boys deserved a better fate then they did. While Poo was in position on the 2nd goal it rolled off his skate and in but he played well overall. It was Goldy on lazy backcheck on the play that caused that scoring chance and shouldn’t have been poo to blame for it. But overall it was one of our best efforts and on the 2nd of a back to back. Crap happens too much with the reffing when it comes to this team but gotta move on from it and keep on battling like we did. Bring on the BlackHawks

6 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Hutton and Stecher played great games. I like how Greens' tough love has got BH going this year. What a turn around! Tanev was lost on the left side of the ice, and almost got killed a couple of times looking the wrong way. I would like to see Brisbois play over Biega and or Pouliot. Beagle and Motte work hard, would love to see one bounce in off their backside, knee, or somewhere. I hope we never have to see Schaller on the ice again. Granlund is smarter, more skilled, and just as fast. Where would this team be without Markstrom?

Definitely refreshing to see RE Hutton, Stecher, and Markstrom. The left side Tanev experiment should be done. Time to bring in Breezy. Even if Pouliot is dressed next game (sigh) I think it's time to see Brisebois in action. Nice to see Granny hit the scoresheet. Understand his scratching initially, and I don't mind Schaller getting a game in or two, but if he's only playing 5 minutes a game, that's indicative of something more than just lacking opportunity. Wonder if he'll be traded/waived in the near future. Question is, who sits in the pressbox in his stead? Gaunce? 

4 minutes ago, therodigy said:

Definitely refreshing to see RE Hutton, Stecher, and Markstrom. The left side Tanev experiment should be done. Time to bring in Breezy. Even if Pouliot is dressed next game (sigh) I think it's time to see Brisebois in action. Nice to see Granny hit the scoresheet. Understand his scratching initially, and I don't mind Schaller getting a game in or two, but if he's only playing 5 minutes a game, that's indicative of something more than just lacking opportunity. Wonder if he'll be traded/waived in the near future. Question is, who sits in the pressbox in his stead? Gaunce? 

Between the two, and Greens trust in Gaunce from his Utica days, he might get another shot. I'd really like to see one of Dahlen, McEwen or Gaunce before the season ends. I knew I was missing someone, Gaudette as well.

12 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

After a good sleep, I’m still upset at the way that game ended. Boys deserved a better fate then they did. While Poo was in position on the 2nd goal it rolled off his skate and in but he played well overall. It was Goldy on lazy backcheck on the play that caused that scoring chance and shouldn’t have been poo to blame for it. 

Yeah - the way I saw it Goldy hustled back and was anything but lazy although his positioning was not good. Where were Bo and Boeser on the play, still in the o zone? ;)

22 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Hutton was hands down the best Canuck last night. He has truly turned his game around since the beginning of the season. Stecher struggled a bit last fall but has regained steam and looks better each game. 

Absolutely agree about Brisbois. IMHO it is far more important to rotate Brisbois, McEneny and maybe Chatfield thru the roster than play Beiga or even Pouliot. One has to help that players not in the long term plan will be moved for some kind of return. I doubt Schaller would bring anything back so he is a writeoff. Granlund does have value and playing him likely helps get a deal if that is the decision. Many fans upset with Sutter but that is not fair considering his injury and rush back to play. He has value now and will have next year. I prefer to keep him unless a good deal happens. 

12 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I felt after the All-Star Game, Petey hasn't had his best two games. We went away with it a little in the third period and I thought we were good in the third so we stayed with it. I talked to both Bo and Petey about it, they aren't worried who they play with." - Green on line changes

I like pretty much everything TG does but his line deployment has me shaking my head a lot. He tries to put all of the rookies on a line and fails to see that they faulter when he does this because there is no experience to guide them. 

Look at the PP now that the veteran/experienced players are off of it. They are in disarray and look lost out there. The same when he has Petey/Brock/Glodobin on a line together. 

Our top lines lack forechecking and big bodies to dig the puck out of the corners for our more skilled players yet he continues to play Jake on the 3rd line.

"Bo and Petey aren't worried who they play with?" Really TG? 

The other thing I am noticing on the top 2 lines is that there is a lack of crisp tape to tape passing. Jake is one of our better passers and he continues to be on the 3rd line. 

While we are on the subject of Jake, why is he not being put on the #1 PP as he can carry the puck into the zone and then plant his big body in front of the goalie. He was the last guy to do that on the PP awhile back and its one of the things lacking on the #1 PP IMHO.

Am I missing something here because I see it as a no brainer but maybe there is a reason for TG's deployment of players. Is Schaller really #1 line material who has earned the right to play with Bo? :lol:

10 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

I used to like Gudbranson just for his physical play but lately he has been playing atrocious and I would like to see him get moved if a trade opportunity that makes sense comes along.  You're right though tonight he looked okay. Not gud, just okay.

Thing is, nobody would replace him and improve our defense from within our system, and nobody at all could replace his physical presence. Wait till a playoff round before you make up your mind on him. He's a good 3rd pairing D @aGENT

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, that play in the 3rd where he took a feed from off the boards in the Caps' zone and settled the puck down with a little touch that set Horvat up for a hard shot:  amazing skill and awareness. 

I couldn't believe someone on our team not named Pettersson made that play. I really hope he can get his play-sans-puck up to par; it would be a real shame to see so much skill be squandered because of deficiencies in other areas.

21 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Thing is, nobody would replace him and improve our defense from within our system, and nobody at all could replace his physical presence. Wait till a playoff round before you make up your mind on him. He's a good 3rd pairing D @aGENT

Exactly. There isn't a single player the Canucks have that can match his physical presence, and very few in the league. When he wields that part of his game, and if paired with a responsible defensive partner, he plays a simple, solid game, as proven by the last two games.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. There isn't a single player the Canucks have that can match his physical presence, and very few in the league. When he wields that part of his game, and if paired with a responsible defensive partner, he plays a simple, solid game, as proven by the last two games.

If Juolevi didn't get hurt, he would be replacing Edler right now and I bet after he showed his stuff here we would be saying bye to Pouliot.

Not surprised at the outcome. Caps started Holtby, which I found odd seeing as the Canucks aren't a playoff team and playing the 2nd game of a back-to-back - but whatever, Holtby helped them win. Canucks still need 1-2 top 6 wingers, and Quinn Hughes.

Archived