The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BIG mistake to put EP40 without scoring wingers

*Buzzsaw*

I don't often disagree with Travis Green, but this policy of moving Boeser, Horvat and Goldobin away from Pettersson's line is a real mistake.

You take the most creative player on the team, and the guy who needs guys who can shoot and pass, and you leave him with bottom six players.

At minimum you leave either Boeser or Goldobin with Pettersson.  Otherwise who is he going to be creative with???  Leivo is a reasonably talented player, but he is not in the same league as Boeser and Goldobin offensively.  I would put Granlund ahead of Leivo in terms of offensive creativity.

Yeah, Green says he wants to avoid the other team keying on one line, but you can take that too far.  By leaving Pettersson alone, you basically make him have to do everything by himself.  Which he has been trying too much of lately.

Overall I don't like the line shuffling we are seeing recently.  We had line combinations which were working during the win streak, suddenly they don't work???

Yeah the other teams will key on the best line... but you know what... make it a challenge that these young guys need to step up to.

Other thing I am not liking:

To much dump and chase.  That works if you can't gain entry by skating it in, but don't make it the go-to play... too often its one and done.... out of the zone.  Boeser is not a great forechecker, he's too slow, neither is Pettersson, he's not physical enough, yet I am seeing them have to chase a dumped puck too often.

Let's go back to the way the lines were playing at the beginning of the year and during December... carry the puck in if you can, push the defense back, give an opportunity for a trailing defenseman... the defense were scoring to start the season, now it is no coincidence they aren't.

Ok, rant off.

Was thinking about this myself, we know Goldy and EP40 have chemistry and we know that Bo and Brock have chemistry, so if Green wants to split them up go with the chemistry. I then would put Leivo with Bo and he could try Jake with the other line, while Baer is out. It just seems like a no brainer. 

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser were great today, just couldn’t finish.

Have to remember that Baer is unhealthy  as well...Virtanen should be in top 6

Also I would not put Granlund ahead of Leivo in terms of offensive creativity. Did you not see Leivo dangle that dude and draw the hook today?

Here's what I wanna see:

Leivo-EP40-Brockstar

Virt-Horvat-Roussell

Goldy-Sutter-LE

Motte-Beagle-Granlund

Hutton-Tanev

Biega-Guddy

Breezer-Stecher

Looking forward to seeing more of Gaudette, Dahlen, and Lind next year, with OJ, Breezer, and Hughes sending Pouliot to the ECHL where he belongs.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Here's what I wanna see:

Leivo-EP40-Brockstar

Virt-Horvat-Roussell

Goldy-Sutter-LE

Motte-Beagle-Granlund

Hutton-Tanev

Biega-Guddy

Breezer-Stecher

Looking forward to seeing more of Gaudette, Dahlen, and Lind next year, with OJ, Breezer, and Hughes sending Pouliot to the ECHL where he belongs.

Would agree with the forward lines, except, put Goldy on #1 line with EP40/BB and keep LE on the checking line with Motte and Beagle.  That trio has chemistry.

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

Would agree with the forward lines, except, put Goldy on #1 line with EP40/BB and keep LE on the checking line with Motte and Beagle.  That trio has chemistry.

Need Leivo to dig pucks out and play a role similar to what Burr did for the twins until Goldy starts working harder.  While Petey is willing, it's unfair to expect him to make up for a linemate's laziness in his own end.  Goldy brings some offensive skill to the 3rd line and has a couple of defensive studs to help cover up for his weaknesses and hold him accountable on the ice.

When Goldy starts backchecking, reward him with top line minutes.

Archived