The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks possible targets Maroon, Nyquist, Silfverberg

On 2/10/2019 at 11:52 AM, falcon45ca said:

EP centers a scoring line, and Horvat also centers a scoring line. They are the top 2 point producers on the team, and they are both centers who play on different lines.

Ya know what the Canucks dont have? 1 single winger, aside from Boeser, who has more than 25 points.

If EP and Horvat center scoring lines, then what's your point of noting that the description matches Horvat? 

What I"m proposing is to add a player like that to Pettersson's line - what you are saying is 'we have Horvat' - but putting Horvat on a line with EP....leaves you with one scoring line.

This team needs a player like Jenner to play on EP's wing, period.  What makes Jenner even more ideal is that he can win draws - whereas one of EP's weaknesses is getting killed in the faceoff circle early in his career.  If the object is to win in the shorter term - which is the entire point of these kind of deadline discussions - then adding a guy like Jenner makes perfect sense - whether or not you have a Horvat.   Leivo is certainly a good, serviceable option and could prove to make the entire point moot - but if this team is looking to add - vacancies like Maroon, or small, skilled and expensive wingers like Nyqvist make very little sense.  

What makes solid sense - is a versatile, physical, two-way guy with upside like Jenner.

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

If EP and Horvat center scoring lines, then what's your point of noting that the description matches Horvat? 

What I"m proposing is to add a player like that to Pettersson's line - what you are saying is 'we have Horvat' - but putting Horvat on a line with EP....leaves you with one scoring line.

This team needs a player like Jenner to play on EP's wing, period.  What makes Jenner even more ideal is that he can win draws - whereas one of EP's weaknesses is getting killed in the faceoff circle early in his career.  If the object is to win in the shorter term - which is the entire point of these kind of deadline discussions - then adding a guy like Jenner makes perfect sense - whether or not you have a Horvat.   Leivo is certainly a good, serviceable option and could prove to make the entire point moot - but if this team is looking to add - vacancies like Maroon, or small, skilled and expensive wingers like Nyqvist make very little sense.  

What makes solid sense - is a versatile, physical, two-way guys with upside like Jenner.

I'd much rather see Ferland on EPs wing than Jenner, no?

1 minute ago, falcon45ca said:

I'd much rather see Ferland on EPs wing than Jenner, no?

I  like Ferland as well - but he's not as versatile as Jenner.

Jenner is a player you can move up and down the lineup - has scored 30 goals as a top 6 - has played shutdown/hard minutes and also produced outstanding underlying numbers - good faceoff guy, can kill penalties - and is younger than Ferland while not being an expiring contract - with 3 more years at 3.75 million.  If I'm going to spend the kind of assets it would take to bring in Ferland, I prefer Jenner, easily, for a number of reasons.  Which is not to say Ferland wouldn't also be a good fit.

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

I  like Ferland as well - but he's not as versatile as Jenner.

Jenner is a player you can move up and down the lineup - has scored 30 goals as a top 6 - has played shutdown/hard minutes and also produced outstanding underlying numbers - good faceoff guy, can kill penalties - and is younger than Ferland while not being an expiring contract - with 3 more years at 3.75 million.  If I'm going to spend the kind of assets it would take to bring in Ferland, I prefer Jenner, easily, for a number of reasons.  Which is not to say Ferland wouldn't also be a good fit.

Make a pitch to Ferland at the end of the season, or get him from Carplina now, he'd likely cost less in a trade. Jenner's production has been up and down, he has never even come close to 30 goals save the once.

Why give up assets for Jenner now? Leivo is doing fine on the line, and there's a lot of UFAs that are forwards this summer. 

4 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Make a pitch to Ferland at the end of the season, or get him from Carplina now, he'd likely cost less in a trade. Jenner's production has been up and down, he has never even come close to 30 goals save the once.

Why give up assets for Jenner now? Leivo is doing fine on the line, and there's a lot of UFAs that are forwards this summer. 

I think I've already answered your question.

But I'll explain it further like this;

Not many players are going to score 30 goals while getting 33.8% ozone starts - which is what Jenner is getting in a shutdown role - not even Patrice Bergeron is likely to get you 30 goals in that context.  But what Jenner does have is 10 goals and 26 pts = better than a .5 ppg player.

Even his 30 goal season came at 45% ozone starts.

Only 32 of his 187 pts come on the powerplay.

So if you're looking for a player that is under-rated - that is versatile and can do it all - whose production is misleadingly low - who can complement a player like EP = that's a hell of a target - and imagine what he could do in the 68.4% ozone starts that EP is getting, with a playmaker like Pettersson - particularly if they are starting with the puck on their sticks, because Jenner wins 54.1% of his draws - which are primarily d-zone draws where the defensive center is at the disadvantage.

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

My bad. Still he is going to be very pricey

I don't disagree on that point. He's who I wanted the Canucks to draft instead of the Jensen. When they announced their pick was from Oshawa I pumped my fist thinking it would be Jenner...

Even if the Canucks were targetting an expiring contract - and I think most of us realize how much of a fail these proposals/targets are - particularly Maroon - but if they were looking to rent a player, there's a far better option than any of them imo.

Brassard just got dumped by Pittsburgh - to a team in Florida that has no intention whatsoever of re-signing him - Tallon has clearly stated one of the points of moving Bjugstad and McCann was to clear cap space on July 1st by letting the expiring contracts he acquired walk.

Florida would probably be happy to move his remaining salary for this season - and get an asset in the process - my guess would be that Brassard would be a far cheaper acquisition than a Nyqvist or even Silfverberg. 

10 goals, 41% ozone starts.....decent two way center, consistent 20/40-50 player...

If a team is looking for a cheap dump, take Brassard.

3 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

I don't disagree on that point. He's who I wanted the Canucks to draft instead of the Jensen. When they announced their pick was from Oshawa I pumped my fist thinking it would be Jenner...

Always liked Jenner would be curious to say the least what the cost would be..

Boone Jenner Career Stats

Team GP G A P +/- PIM PPG PPP SHG SHP GWG OTG S S% FO%

Career

- 393 96 91 187 4
2013-2014 CBJ 72 16 13 29 6 45 4 7 0 0 5 0 127 12.6 46.67
2014-2015 CBJ 31 9 8 17 -5 12 2 5 0 0 2 0 83 10.8 49.35
2015-2016 CBJ 82 30 19 49 -15 77 9 14 1 1 3 0 225 13.3 53.06
2016-2017 CBJ 82 18 16 34 14 52 0 1 2 2 4 0 211 8.5 50
2017-2018 CBJ 75 13 19 32 1 39 2 3 0 0 2 0 187 7 55.49
2018-2019 CBJ 51 10 16 26 3 26 1 2 0 0 1 0 119 8.4 54.13

5 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Has there ever been an ex-cioiler that has benefited us. 

Let’s see, Philip Larsen - nope, Anders Nillson - no, Gagner - nyet, Tikannen - nope, messier - lol .

Please say no to Oiler sloppy seconds. 

A hard no to the other two as well.

Stay the course Jimbo.

Martin Gelinas is one !

Adding Jenner would no doubt be a terrific and one deal we should make if it was possible. But the picetag will be way out of our league with what we are trying to do. They most likely ain’t giving him up for anything we are willing to offer. With JB saying picks are off the table and our core young group obviously not in play, I can’t see us having the parts that would get a deal done.

On 2/6/2019 at 5:32 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Granlund sure isn't going to get any of these guys in a trade. In fact, I doubt Sutter and Granlund gets us Nyqvist or Silfverberg. They'd want Goldobin or Virtanen, and maybe picks, etc. ANA and DET are rebuilding.

Silfverberg and Nyqvist are both RW, so maybe they want Jake+ in return.

So are the Canucks so no go on them picks.

20 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Always liked Jenner would be curious to say the least what the cost would be..

Boone Jenner Career Stats

Team GP G A P +/- PIM PPG PPP SHG SHP GWG OTG S S% FO%

Career

- 393 96 91 187 4
2013-2014 CBJ 72 16 13 29 6 45 4 7 0 0 5 0 127 12.6 46.67
2014-2015 CBJ 31 9 8 17 -5 12 2 5 0 0 2 0 83 10.8 49.35
2015-2016 CBJ 82 30 19 49 -15 77 9 14 1 1 3 0 225 13.3 53.06
2016-2017 CBJ 82 18 16 34 14 52 0 1 2 2 4 0 211 8.5 50
2017-2018 CBJ 75 13 19 32 1 39 2 3 0 0 2 0 187 7 55.49
2018-2019 CBJ 51 10 16 26 3 26 1 2 0 0 1 0 119 8.4 54.13

Cost would probably be around what it would cost to get Horvat out of Vancouver... Not cheap in the least and imo we missed our chance to get him 3-4 years ago. 

On 2/10/2019 at 12:58 PM, oldnews said:

What makes solid sense - is a versatile, physical, two-way guys with upside like Jenner.

Have always liked Jenner. I remember a game last season when CBJ came in and they beat up the Canucks badly. Jenner was a standout. If it took Sutter and Goldy I might do it. CBJ obviously wants/needs playoffs but then that might be Vancouver's attitude as well. I would be happy to wait another year.

Archived