The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Feb. 07, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Tanev had a rough game overall.. But u all have those days.

It's not that other Ds were flawless neither. 

Oh well.... Gotta take the positives from this game and move on.

The player that I had my eye on for the past few games who is showing vast improvement is Virtanen. 

He's slowly fitting into the mold and it's fun to see him grow as an NHLer.

It was good to see Petey pop one in.

Now, Bo really gotta get that monkey off his back.

It was an entertaining game.

5/ 5 we were the better team.

P/ P sucked.....big time ! ( that 5 on 3 was the low point of the game )

S/ H when Sutter, Beagle are in the box, we're mediocre.

Eriksson was very good.

Some wanker from HF boards did his usual anti Gudbranson, sock drawer, routine. Funny in a pathetic, sad way. EG can be on my team every day (.....as a 3rd pairing d-man ! )

Chris Tanev is outside his comfort zone on the left side. All those wondering why his game has dropped off somewhat.........start there. ( understand that solving the CT issue means Derrick Pouliot as a 2nd pairing d-man ! )

5 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Not sure why so many of you have a hard on for Gaudette. He looks like a 3rd or 4th line player out there. I don't think he'll ever top more than 40 points in a season for his entire career.

Soooo...what your saying is he CAN outscore Sutter?

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

There is no way Eriksson retires... would you turn down $24 million?  Even if you had to play in Utica?

11 goals his first year, 10 goals last year, sitting at 9 goals right now..

he is the player he always will be, this IS his upside. Anyone can replace him and bring a whole lot more game than this. He's a joke.

2016-17 Vancouver Canucks NHL 65 11 13 24 8 -9 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Vancouver Canucks NHL 50 10 13 23 4 0 -- -- -- -- --
2018-19 Vancouver Canucks NHL 55 9 12 21 16 -7

Same with Schaller wasting a roster spot

We could have forward help that is actually ready to play. Schaller's heart isn't into this team he has just 7 pm's here with us this year.Looking at his penalty minutes shows that 42 pm for Boston last year. Represents a lack of heart. We don't need passengers. How tf did he get 12 goals last year!?

2017-18 Boston Bruins NHL 82 12 10 22 42 -5 11 0 2 2 2
2018-19 Vancouver Canucks NHL 35 0 5 5 7 -4  

Once again this team doesn't quit, they'll be a force in the playoffs when they do in fact make it.

Tanev is obviously injured, I mean he's never 100% but I think with Edler out and the lack of depth means he's battling through something.  Also doesn't help that he's been asked to play on the wrong side - yet somehow that wont stop idiots in blaming Gudbranson for that.

See a lot of "Fire Newell Brown"  Why?  Overreact much?  This guy is a offensive guru.  I see the struggles on the PP fall on the players not the coach.  Hutton has got to stop shooting, his shot sucks, EP40 and Horvat have to stop with that down low move as it is never going to work.  Once they move the puck around faster the open lanes will be there for Boeser and EP40.  How on earth do you blame an assistant coach on a 5 on 3 PP in which they muster one weak ass shot?  Lol, how is that on coaching? 

And speaking of Petey he tipped that first goal!  This same #$%^ happened with Boeser last year, he got screwed out of at least 2 or 3 goals last year. 

10 hours ago, Green Building said:

I'm just saying, I rip the refs a lot too but 5 PPs aside is about as even as it gets.

Perhaps from a quantitative perspective this is true. What drives me nuts is how the refs. call certain periods. Take the third period as an example: the nucks were dominating, down one goal, pushing hard and then boom, with a weak ass call, the momentum completely changed. Consistency would have seen the Hawks with a similar penalty shortly afterwards. There were many infractions against the nucks and more egregious than Eriksson's blue line battle but nothing called. The only reason the nucks had a PP was because of an obvious high stick the refs could not conveniently let pass. The entire road swing was game managed in favor of the home USA teams, despite the quantitative stats. So why is this not the case when the Nucks play at home? It's not just the reality that game management exists that infuriates me, it's how it's used to favor certain teams/markets. I get it's a business, but how can you compete with resolve when the deck is stacked against you. I keep saying we need to goon up, play for culture, forget about selling our pride for the sake of wins this year. Protect the young talent and a splash next year when our D has more punch.

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Once again this team doesn't quit, they'll be a force in the playoffs when they do in fact make it.

Tanev is obviously injured, I mean he's never 100% but I think with Edler out and the lack of depth means he's battling through something.  Also doesn't help that he's been asked to play on the wrong side - yet somehow that wont stop idiots in blaming Gudbranson for that.

See a lot of "Fire Newell Brown"  Why?  Overreact much?  This guy is a offensive guru.  I see the struggles on the PP fall on the players not the coach.  Hutton has got to stop shooting, his shot sucks, EP40 and Horvat have to stop with that down low move as it is never going to work.  Once they move the puck around faster the open lanes will be there for Boeser and EP40.  How on earth do you blame an assistant coach on a 5 on 3 PP in which they muster one weak ass shot?  Lol, how is that on coaching? 

And speaking of Petey he tipped that first goal!  This same #$%^ happened with Boeser last year, he got screwed out of at least 2 or 3 goals last year. 

If he's such a guru, then why isn't he letting players know what is and isn't working? He's the PP coach. Shouldn't that be his job? 

For the defence, why not give Brisebois some limited minutes but keep Tanev on the right side? 

Solves two things. One a d-man is playing to his strong side, two, you get to see what a young player has got. 

Brisebois can't be as bad of a liability as Pouliot. 

As much as it sucks to see us drop 4/5 games and should’ve had a better fate on the road trip. But here we are, in the midst of a playoff race. Yet we are 5 points out of last in the conference. At the beginning of the year if you told me that we would be fighting for the last two wild card spots yet still in the running for a top 5 pick, I’d call you wakko for Kakko. Playoff hopefuls! Tankers! This is an amazing race for both sides, and I couldn’t be happier! That and it’s friday and the boys are back in town!

09600664-C216-421A-AE45-5B16E2A571A4.gif

IMO Brock Boeser has been the best Canuck since the start of 2019. Boeser skating looks incredibly better. He doesn't seem like he's gassed every time he gets into the neutral zone. He's holding the puck a lot more and his creativity has been incredible these last number of games. Every time he touches the puck, he gets stuff done.

His shot is greatest asset, but IMO, his second greatest asset is his puck control and puck protecting ability. I don't think I've seen Boeser lose the puck when he's cycling it down the boards. Him bulking up is really paying dividends. I don't remember Boeser protecting the puck last season the way he's doing it right now. He looks like Crosby when he's doing it. Tho he still likes to bobble the puck a lot on the PP >.>.

I hope there are a couple small trades forcing Greens hand a little. Stop thw Pouliot experiment. Guddbranson is terrible sometimes but I think its Tanev playing his offside. Like someone else said play hutton with tanev. Hutton is playing very well, and why play your best guy offside high minutes.. Let a bottom pairing guy play offside low minutes.. Still might give up chances and be hard to watch but at least limit the bleeding a little bit. Watching Tanev for 20 some minutes tonight on the off side was BAD! I WANT TO SEE JAKE ON BO'S RW ALL GAME... UGH. Him Leivo and jake looked good. Or roose. Or loui E. Just let bo and jake have a go for more than a sift or two.. Constant chaos on our 2nd line. Stop playing freaking healthy scratches with our 2nd best center.. I just don't get it. Rabble Rabble Rabble! 

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

It frustrates me even further, that Benning and his Co (CDC fans included) thinking that going for the brass ring (16 OA ) is more important than getting a handle on these young guys and moving out players that should not be in the long terms plans of the Canucks...…...and showing them, they are more than seat warmers in Utica, 

We (the Canucks) need to take the next step and develop that mentality...……..development does not just happen in Utica, but happens slowly, having seen samples to understand the actually strength, force, agility, speed, [positioning of an nhl player, on a nhl team, who when collectively playing play at a much higher pace and flow.

This is why you bring up those players (up for a few games with sheltered minutes) back down to practice what he has learned, and again later having the same opportunity to show you upper management and coach, that you have learned those lessons, and a chance to as for more.

Utica isn't bench warming Jan. That experience is huge, its not a chump league. If you can't make it there you're not going to have NHL success. On top of that, every game down there is huge for those guys, they are all playing for NHL spots so the competition is high. Its not meaningless bench warming.

Neither is playing meaningful games now. Do you really think guys like Jake or Hutton take the steps they have this year, playing in "nothing" games right now? They're better players in part because of the intensity of the effort. 

I don't see how bringing up someone like Gaudette e.g., into a losing scenario helps him. Look at Edmonton for an example of why you don't rush players. Now if he's ready and there's a way he can contribute thats a different story, but he's not ready e.g., to take over from Sutter e.g. 

The Canuck players are developing the right mentality imo. But i can also see why it frustrates people, but I'd rather be frustrated by the current approach vs. wasting players like Edmonton has done for years. 

Yesterday's game was fun to watch. However, I still think reffing was BS. I don't care that penalties were 5 to 5. Canucks carried most of the play and the Hawks had more than 5 infractions with 2 of them being blatant non calls on Goldy when he had a great scoring chance during a crucial part of the game. That call against Eriksson was totally weak. He was going down his own lane and owns that ice space as he got there first. Its not like he deliberately went out of his way to interfere. He was trying to stay onside. 

Those examples alone should make it 7 to 4 in penalties whixh would be a completely different game. Good on the boys to fight back though and tie it up. 

14 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Unfortunately we are a little short on left D . Maybe Brisebois gets in soon , but some how Tanev needs to move back to the right side , without putting Pouliot and Gudbranson together.

Its true. What bothers me is seeing Biegas hustle and how hard he plays opponents,for...6 games a year? How hasn't he cracked the line up. Hughes hurry up!

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

DeNiro

You can yell until you are blue in the face....these guys won't get it. All they see (and Benning and Green as well) is the possible 16th and last Playoff spot, and that is the only thing they are looking at...……..It frustrates me to no end, to see our prospects...…Demko, Gaudette, McEwen, Juolevi, Sautner, and McEneny not getting meaningful games up 

here when there are injuries.

It frustrates me even further, that Benning and his Co (CDC fans included) thinking that going for the brass ring (16 OA ) is more important than getting a handle on these young guys and moving out players that should not be in the long terms plans of the Canucks...…...and showing them, they are more than seat warmers in Utica, and really do  fit into the Canucks big picture, It only goes to remind me that Tryamkin may have been the first to feel this. As if I was sitting in Utica at 24 like McEneny, and I could play better than Pouliot, and not seeing a call up, I might go find another team...……..I am absolutely sure Edmonton would be looking at him, and a few others as well.

There needs to be a system for the second tier players, who finally get to a point where they can compete, but are still not get called up. There needs to be a policy that over-rides Coaches and assistant coaches, who are more concerned with developing a player for 2 years, and not seeing any improvement.

We (the Canucks) need to take the next step and develop that mentality...……..development does not just happen in Utica, but happens slowly, having seen samples to understand the actually strength, force, agility, speed, [positioning of an nhl player, on a nhl team, who when collectively playing play at a much higher pace and flow.

This is why you bring up those players (up for a few games with sheltered minutes) back down to practice what he has learned, and again later having the same opportunity to show you upper management and coach, that you have learned those lessons, and a chance to as for more.

I like our team this year, but I am more concerned with building a new team, than being afraid to make moves......because  a playoff may be close...….

It frustrates me>

OK you hockeynut. I want the prospects rotated thru the roster like you do. I do not think management plays favorites. There is a lot of built up anticipation within the Canuck fan base. A lot of years without a sniff of success or even hope of success. IMHO when Linden and Benning started out they were faced with org deficiencies, not just in talent but also culture. Fans take pleasure in being suspicious of ownership motives etc. Fact is this is the best ownership the club has ever had. They have spent to the max and have in fact taken direction from their management. My attitude on this might change if they do something stupid towards making the playoffs. 

My attitude towards Benning and Green is that they have a long term plan towards serious playoff contention. Making playoffs this year is in my opinion a 'feel good' exercise as this group is not close to being ready. This season was all about development and evaluation. We want to see the prospects and as soon as the TDL is done I suspect that happens. Why not already? I have to have confidence in management's judgement and conviction for their plan. Slow and methodical development. We all know the obvious deductions from the current roster. Pouliot is still here because there is no real reason why not. We now know what Hutton is and to a degree Stecher. We are seeing a budding star in Virtanen. These are development home runs IMO. Mott has pushed Granlund to the side. Gaudette has had a solid rookie season. 

IMHO the Utica Comets having a long Calder playoff run is far more important than the Canucks making playoffs. Having 4 - 5 Utica players come thru the Canuck roster in March would have a positive impact towards that goal. Management has put a veteran tender and d-man into Utica to help. I am hoping Hughes ends up in Utica to close the season. I would also suggest that Joulevi's injury threw a wrench into the orgs plans this year. He was the only d-man who stood to bump Pouliot off the ice this year. He would have seen ice by X-Mass if he had not been injured.  

Archived