The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Quinn Hughes to play for Canucks after NCAA season is over

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

In fact, Hughes could make his NHL debut as early as March 13th against the New York Rangers if Michigan gets eliminated in the quarterfinals of the Big 10 playoffs.

That would leave 13 games remaining in the Canucks’ season, enough time for Hughes to provide a boost to the back end for a playoff push or to provide Canucks’ fans something to look forward to for next season if they miss out on the postseason. It would also give the Canucks and Hughes a chance to evaluate his game and identify areas of focus for off-season training.

13 games is a dangerous number, however, thanks to the looming spectre of the Seattle expansion draft in 2021.

If Hughes plays more than 10 games this season, it will count as a professional year played for the purposes of the expansion draft, according to The Athletic’s CBA guru Ryan Biech. That would mean one more spot taken up on the protected list and one more player left exposed.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/jim-benning-isn-t-worried-about-the-expansion-draft-when-it-comes-to-quinn-hughes-1.23620775

I think the Hughes camp will be fine with just 9 games, as long as the full bonus structure is in place, which I'm guessing it will be. No reason not to. 

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

In fact, Hughes could make his NHL debut as early as March 13th against the New York Rangers if Michigan gets eliminated in the quarterfinals of the Big 10 playoffs.

That would leave 13 games remaining in the Canucks’ season, enough time for Hughes to provide a boost to the back end for a playoff push or to provide Canucks’ fans something to look forward to for next season if they miss out on the postseason. It would also give the Canucks and Hughes a chance to evaluate his game and identify areas of focus for off-season training.

13 games is a dangerous number, however, thanks to the looming spectre of the Seattle expansion draft in 2021.

If Hughes plays more than 10 games this season, it will count as a professional year played for the purposes of the expansion draft, according to The Athletic’s CBA guru Ryan Biech. That would mean one more spot taken up on the protected list and one more player left exposed.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/jim-benning-isn-t-worried-about-the-expansion-draft-when-it-comes-to-quinn-hughes-1.23620775

One week to practice with team/get him up to speed = minus 2 games. Sit him one other game ( a back to back, after a bad game etc) and voila, 10 games. 'Problem' solved.

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Knowing Benning, he will get Hughes for past ten games like he did with Boeser and Gaudette but for asset management's sake I hope he beaks tradition in this case. the Canucks have a lot more to lose this time than when Las Vegas was selecting.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

One week to practice with team/get him up to speed = minus 2 games. Sit him one other game ( a back to back, after a bad game etc) and voila, 10 games. 'Problem' solved.

Yeah I'm not sure why people are assuming benning is an idiot.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doubt it.

Most GM's learned with the VGK expansion that you're better off just losing a guy than losing a guy + assets.

Huh, I guess you are right. I just looked at the rules and only NMC players get protected and not NTC guys. Not really worth it to protect much.

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah I'm not sure why people are assuming benning is an idiot.

In fairness, a lot of people assume they're much smarter than 'Dim Jim' and could have steered this ship back to contention by now if only they were in charge :lol:

16 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

We can't base our every decision based on the expansion draft. 

We can protect 3 defensemen.  Like seriously, who do we have that is so valuable to protect on the backend anyways?  Edler, Tanev, Guddy, Hutton will either be gone or not worth protecting.  That leaves Hughes and Juolevi... and whoever else blossoms during the next 2 years.

If these games gives him a crash course on what's coming up next year, then the Canucks will be that much better next year, Hughes will feel more at ease with the NHL style earlier rather than later.  

Why would you not protect Hutton? Kid has been great for our team. And what about Stecher? Also great for our team. Both are solid 3/4 defenceman and do not grow on trees.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Let's play GM for a moment. If Hughes does come to the Canucks as early as 13 games left in the season and makes a significant difference in the Canucks' drive for a playoff spot.......would you manage to keep Hughes draft exempt or would you manage to give the team their best opportunity to make the playoffs? I kind of hope that Michigan gets beyond the 1st round so this becomes a moot point.....I don't like being a GM.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Let's play GM for a moment. If Hughes does come to the Canucks as early as 13 games left in the season and makes a significant difference in the Canucks' drive for a playoff spot.......would you manage to keep Hughes draft exempt or would you manage to give the team their best opportunity to make the playoffs? I kind of hope that Michigan gets beyond the 1st round so this becomes a moot point.....I don't like being a GM.

I think we're likely out of it before he gets here.

36 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

We can't base our every decision based on the expansion draft. 

We can protect 3 defensemen.  Like seriously, who do we have that is so valuable to protect on the backend anyways?  Edler, Tanev, Guddy, Hutton will either be gone or not worth protecting.  That leaves Hughes and Juolevi... and whoever else blossoms during the next 2 years.

If these games gives him a crash course on what's coming up next year, then the Canucks will be that much better next year, Hughes will feel more at ease with the NHL style earlier rather than later.  

Edler will be 35 and probably not necessary to protect, but at just 31, Tanev will likely still be a valuable asset (assuming he's still on the team at that point) and worth protecting. Who knows where Hutton and Stecher will be and how good they'll be.

5 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

It becomes a no brainer at that point but, given the scenario I laid out, what would you do? My guess is they would manage to give the team their best chance at making the playoffs......

I'm not so sure. Benning's on record, numerous times that the plan isn't about now, it's about building towards the next few years and then being a competitive long term. And that this team will make the playoffs on their own this season or they won't.

A couple potential playoff games, while nice, won't detract him from his long term plan imo. And that long term plan would include protecting Hughes in a couple years.

11 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Why would you not protect Hutton? Kid has been great for our team. And what about Stecher? Also great for our team. Both are solid 3/4 defenceman and do not grow on trees.

Because he had 1 good half season resurgence and he's still a minus player with limited offensive abilities.  In June 2021, he'll be 28 years old, lots of time until then.  I highly doubt he's still in our top 4, by then.  If he is, good for us and we can protect him (that's why I said whoever blossomed during that time)  I mean, ultimately we can protect 3 defensemen out of a top 4.  I highly doubt I top 4 will be so great that we would be like Nashville and protect 8 players instead of 7/3.  I highly doubt losing a defensemen will hurt more than losing Sbisa, whoever we lose.

You can't honestly tell me that Hutton and Stetcher would crack any of the contenders top 3/4.  They are barely 3/4 on a fringe playoff team.

I dont think Jim will play him more than 

40 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I dont think Jim will play him more than 9 games. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Saw this on TSN website yesterday. 

I have mixed feelings. I want to see Hughes in NHL this year but I think it's best for Hughes and Canucks if he plays this season in AHL before coming to Canucks next season. 

Other than reasons of contract and expansion draft.....

He needs to get stronger and improve his defensive game. 

He won't be able to be a rover on the ice in the NHL like he is in NCAA.

Send him to Utica, unless he has a great preseason  and legit earns a spot send him Utica again next season for at least half a season. 

Yep, after seeing him live he definitely needs a bit more seasoning.

Archived