The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Quinn Hughes to play for Canucks after NCAA season is over

6 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Because he had 1 good half season resurgence and he's still a minus player with limited offensive abilities.  In June 2021, he'll be 28 years old, lots of time until then.  I highly doubt he's still in our top 4, by then.  If he is, good for us and we can protect him (that's why I said whoever blossomed during that time)  I mean, ultimately we can protect 3 defensemen out of a top 4.  I highly doubt I top 4 will be so great that we would be like Nashville and protect 8 players instead of 7/3.  I highly doubt losing a defensemen will hurt more than losing Sbisa, whoever we lose.

You can't honestly tell me that Hutton and Stetcher would crack any of the contenders top 3/4.  They are barely 3/4 on a fringe playoff team.

You might be interested in:

:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not so sure. Benning's on record, numerous times that the plan isn't about now, it's about building towards the next few years and then being a competitive long term. And that this team will make the playoffs on their own this season or they won't.

A couple potential playoff games, while nice, won't detract him from his long term plan imo. And that long term plan would include protecting Hughes in a couple years.

He is also on record with this:

Is Jim Benning concerned about Hughes and the expansion draft?

“No. I’m not worried about that,” said Benning.

I think the positive experience for the entire team, in making the playoffs, would be the deciding factor but it is not a decision I would enjoy making.

40 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

In fact, Hughes could make his NHL debut as early as March 13th against the New York Rangers if Michigan gets eliminated in the quarterfinals of the Big 10 playoffs.

That would leave 13 games remaining in the Canucks’ season, enough time for Hughes to provide a boost to the back end for a playoff push or to provide Canucks’ fans something to look forward to for next season if they miss out on the postseason. It would also give the Canucks and Hughes a chance to evaluate his game and identify areas of focus for off-season training.

13 games is a dangerous number, however, thanks to the looming spectre of the Seattle expansion draft in 2021.

If Hughes plays more than 10 games this season, it will count as a professional year played for the purposes of the expansion draft, according to The Athletic’s CBA guru Ryan Biech. That would mean one more spot taken up on the protected list and one more player left exposed.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/jim-benning-isn-t-worried-about-the-expansion-draft-when-it-comes-to-quinn-hughes-1.23620775

Well I would hope that he gets the same treatment as other rookies/callups totally new to the team and has to see a number of practices before game time to learn the systems. In the event he doesn't get the same treatment there are 9 home and 4 away out of the remaining 13 games .  So,,,,,,, play him at home and not away and everyone wins.  

Just now, Rick Blight said:

He is also on record with this:

Is Jim Benning concerned about Hughes and the expansion draft?

“No. I’m not worried about that,” said Benning.

I think the positive experience for the entire team, in making the playoffs, would be the deciding factor but it is not a decision I would enjoy making.

IMO, he meant: 

"I'm not worried about that... as we have a plan in place to keep him under the games played threshold."

Looking forward to seeing Quinn with the team, would at least give them an idea if he needs some time in the AHL with Utica for next season.

Also looking forward to watching Fabbro playing with Nashville after watching him play here in Penticton. He will give them options going forward. Fiala is due for a decent raise after this season and Josi has one more year at 4M$ with about 6M in cap space and Ellis's salary doubles next season. 

4 minutes ago, beni said:

Looking forward to seeing Quinn with the team, would at least give them an idea if he needs some time in the AHL with Utica for next season.

Also looking forward to watching Fabbro playing with Nashville after watching him play here in Penticton. He will give them options going forward. Fiala is due for a decent raise after this season and Josi has one more year at 4M$ with about 6M in cap space and Ellis's salary doubles next season. 

They have 6 million in cap space now. They will have 11 million in cap space next year (even with Ellis' bump) and that's without the cap going up, but it's expected to, and they have the majority of their core players signed. Fiala is the only player that is looking at a decent raise, but I bet he gets signed at 3-4 million, so it won't be crippling for them. If Fabbro sticks, likely Irwin is gone or maybe Weber. I imagine in the worst case scenario (being that Fabbro is legit and they run into some cap issues), they may trade Subban while he still has value and that would save them a ton of cap space and have a guy like Fabbro that can jump right in.

Nashville is in a ridiculously good position right now.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You are correct, it's actually 10 games...

Which players are exempt?

Prospects: All players with less than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt. That means young stars like Edmonton's Connor McDavid and Toronto's Auston Matthews don't need to be protected to remain with their teams. This provision also includes unsigned draft picks and signed players that have yet to appear in a NHL game. A year of professional experience is 10 pro games played under an NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/golden-knights-expansion-draft-explainer-1.4160845

The ten game rule applies to ELC slide contracts from the CHL.

Euro and College, even USHL should they jump straight to the NHL after being drafted, count their contract as soon as they play a prog game on an NHL contract.

> You can sign them to an AHL or AHL tryout contract. See McAvoy,

> But if its an NHL contract, even if assigned to the minors, your clock starts ticking right away.

College guys like it, because they have the last few games of the current year, and only 2 more years. Before their ELC is up & they can negotiate RFA. See Boeser.

That is my understanding.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

We can't base our every decision based on the expansion draft. 

We can protect 3 defensemen.  Like seriously, who do we have that is so valuable to protect on the backend anyways?  Edler, Tanev, Guddy, Hutton will either be gone or not worth protecting.  That leaves Hughes and Juolevi... and whoever else blossoms during the next 2 years.

If these games gives him a crash course on what's coming up next year, then the Canucks will be that much better next year, Hughes will feel more at ease with the NHL style earlier rather than later.  

I know they aren't HOFers, but that's a pretty flippant assessment of the team's top-4.

5 minutes ago, Borvat said:

So if Edler gets signed to an extension this is what it could possibly be next year.  Is this enough of an upgrade?  

Edler - Tanev

Hutton -Stecher

Hughes - Gudbranson

I might be advancing Hughes past his capacity?

Hughes Myers

Edler Gudbrandson

Hutton Tanev

Brisbois Stecher

I think we will be involved in the UFA market. Post draft, time to advance the rebuild again.  Can't dare to dream that Myers is actually Larlsson?

Karlsson, Eric Karlsson. Man, where did learn to spell?

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

My main issue is with the expansion draft. Outside of that, Hughes coming on board is really frickin exciting.

i remembered that he did an interview with tsn 1040 and sportsnet 650 and both asked him about that issue, and he said, he wasn't worried about that.

I trust that they likely have a plan already mapped out for Hughes once he gets here depending on each scenario.

32 minutes ago, aliboy said:

I do believe playoff games count, someone correct me if I'm wrong, so if we make the playoffs they would have a decision to make.

Don't think he'll be eligible to play in the playoffs if he's signed after TDL? Can someone confirm? 

Archived