The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Quinn Hughes to play for Canucks after NCAA season is over

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's only if we don't make the playoffs.  If we do I highly doubt he would sit out.  We could have 5-7 playoffs games at minimum...

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume we're out of the playoff race by the time he gets here in March with his managed, less than 10, games.

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

But you're assuming we won't have any changes by 2020-21. That's still a long time and if I were to venture a guess JB will address the defense problem this summer or even before that through trade. There's also Juolevi, Brisebois, Rathbone, and Woo internally - I'm not sure what they're eligibility will be by that season. It's good to be on the safe side, and sitting Hughes a few games to avoid a big decision a few years down the road seems like a very small price to pay.

Yes, if we are out of the playoff race, we can just sit him few games for the sake of saving an expansion protection spot. If we are still in the race by the time he joins and let's say we go on a winning streak after he joins? It's not going to be easy to sit him without sending a wrong message that we care more about expansion spot than playoffs.

Of course, a lot can change, I'm sure Juolevi will be on the roster by the expansion draft rolls around and he will need protection. We might acquire a top 4D via trade or sign one via UFA. But even then, we can protect Hughes, Juolevi, and whoever we acquire. We can expose Hutton or Stecher.

I think Stecher has a chance to become a borderline top 4/5D due to lack of our depth on the right side but I don't think the chance is very high for Hutton to become one (on the Canucks anyways). Assuming we re-sign Edler, he will be playing behind Edler and Hughes and at some point, Juolevi will surpass him as well. You need playing time to grow into a top 4D in this league and I just don't see Hutton getting that time here as long as Hughes and Juolevi pan out as expected. He will be a serviceable player for sure though and would be great to have 3LD. I think we are OK but yeah I agree that if we can save up a spot by not playing him 10 games, then we should do it as long as we are not throwing away playoffs.

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's only if we don't make the playoffs.  If we do I highly doubt he would sit out.  We could have 5-7 playoffs games at minimum...

Not sure playoff games count. Maybe it's just regular season. Perhaps someone could clarify. 

In any event. The way Chicago and STL are playing and our injuries it's highly doubtful we make playoffs. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Not sure playoff games count. Maybe it's just regular season. Perhaps someone could clarify. 

In any event. The way Chicago and STL are playing and our injuries it's highly doubtful we make playoffs. 

And if you look at it the other way if we got a bounce or two here and there we’d be two points up on Minnesota for the top wild card spot. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Except for the ED. They're going to lose a GOOD player.

That's fine, lose one good player and be done with it. They have decent depth coming up that can replace whoever will be going out. Conveniently both goalies are free agents when the ED comes, so they will protect Saros and maybe Rinne retires by then or signs on as a backup after the ED.

I'd probably look to move Subban in the next year or two and get a good return. If Fabbri can remain under 10 games this year, then they would be pretty set on defense for the draft.

How hard is it for people to understand if he doesn’t play 10 games he doesn’t burn a year of the deal.

everyones saying he needs to earn it and play in the AHL, people said the same for EP and Boeser if guys are good enough they make the jump right away, if Hughes struggles he has an entire summer to improve what he thinks he needs to work on 

7 minutes ago, logic said:

How hard is it for people to understand if he doesn’t play 10 games he doesn’t burn a year of the deal.

everyones saying he needs to earn it and play in the AHL, people said the same for EP and Boeser if guys are good enough they make the jump right away, if Hughes struggles he has an entire summer to improve what he thinks he needs to work on 

Not disagreeing with that you're saying overall, but he will need to improve on what the team wants him to improve on rather than simply what he believes he needs to work on. If it's based on what the player thinks, then Goldobin probably thinks he's doing just fine.

7 minutes ago, logic said:

That's not the way it is. Boeser played only 9 games at the end of his NCAA season and he's on the 3rd year of his ELC, set to be an RFA at the end of this year. Gaudette also burned a year off his ELC by playing 5 games at the end of last season, burning off the first year of his ELC. He's on the 2nd year of that contract which ends at the end of next year.

1 minute ago, Psycho_Path said:

That's not the way it is. Boeser played only 9 games at the end of his NCAA season and he's on the 3rd year of his ELC, set to be an RFA at the end of this year. Gaudette also burned a year off his ELC by playing 5 games at the end of last season, burning off the first year of his ELC. He's on the 2nd year of that contract which ends at the end of next year.

What about junior players sent down at the beginning of season 

1 minute ago, Mathew Barzal said:

On the fence about this, Pettersson this year showed what being physically unprepared for this league can lead to even if you are prepared in terms of skill.

I guess management knows best though. 

Isn't Quinn Hughes heavier than Pettersson despite being like 5 inches shorter? Hughes won't need to bulk up too much more for his height and there's not much you can do about his height. So from a physical standpoint, I think he should be fine or not far off enough to be a concern. However, mentally, he needs to learn when to bring the razzle dazzle and when to be defensively sound, which is an aspect that he will need to work on. Whether working on it is more beneficial for his in the NHL or AHL is another story.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Yes, if we are out of the playoff race, we can just sit him few games for the sake of saving an expansion protection spot. If we are still in the race by the time he joins and let's say we go on a winning streak after he joins? It's not going to be easy to sit him without sending a wrong message that we care more about expansion spot than playoffs.

Of course, a lot can change, I'm sure Juolevi will be on the roster by the expansion draft rolls around and he will need protection. We might acquire a top 4D via trade or sign one via UFA. But even then, we can protect Hughes, Juolevi, and whoever we acquire. We can expose Hutton or Stecher.

I think Stecher has a chance to become a borderline top 4/5D due to lack of our depth on the right side but I don't think the chance is very high for Hutton to become one (on the Canucks anyways). Assuming we re-sign Edler, he will be playing behind Edler and Hughes and at some point, Juolevi will surpass him as well. You need playing time to grow into a top 4D in this league and I just don't see Hutton getting that time here as long as Hughes and Juolevi pan out as expected. He will be a serviceable player for sure though and would be great to have 3LD. I think we are OK but yeah I agree that if we can save up a spot by not playing him 10 games, then we should do it as long as we are not throwing away playoffs.

I'm tempted to sit him regardless of playoff implications. I'd like to keep an eye on the big picture and still think long term. We're not in a position to do everything it takes for one round of playoffs. It's important for the kids to get that experience but the cost should be within reason. If we go on a streak after Hughes joins the team and that puts us in good position to make a run then alright, but that's assuming Hughes is playing a significant role. If he's playing 13 mins a night, sit him. It's a lot of ifs, so we'll see how it goes, for all we know this whole discussion could be moot...

EDIT: For what it's worth I think Hutton is actually already a top 4 D when given the opportunity and he proved for a big stretch when our defense was decimated with injury. He's still playing reasonably well, despite being prone to some mistakes defensively.

50 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Isn't Quinn Hughes heavier than Pettersson despite being like 5 inches shorter? Hughes won't need to bulk up too much more for his height and there's not much you can do about his height. So from a physical standpoint, I think he should be fine or not far off enough to be a concern. However, mentally, he needs to learn when to bring the razzle dazzle and when to be defensively sound, which is an aspect that he will need to work on. Whether working on it is more beneficial for his in the NHL or AHL is another story.

I dont think it'll be too much of an issue with Quinn.  I'm betting he knows he can get away with it more at the junior/college level but in the NHL he'll need to be more cautious/pick his spots.  Quinn wont be relied on as much to be the 'the guy' like he has been in Michigan so as long as he can efficiently get the puck to the FWD's he'll be a big difference maker.

I am excited to see those end to end rushes he can definitely do though ;) 

8 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

they are not stupid

they will trade that good player for a lesser player to expose

and retain a draft pick in that trade

everyone learned from the vegas experience

Other GM's aren't stupid either. They're not going to trade for a player only to lose them to SEA (or another good player they push down the depth chart).

Archived