The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I go to quite a few flames games these last few years (friend has season tickets) and this was a pretty normal game for him.

i think the players are deciding to phase the BS out of the game themselves. 

in the same way that Viirtanen doesn't murder guys every few games, I think MT settled his game down a step,

Not to say you won't see a different player in the playoffs though.

3 minutes ago, cory40 said:

That's exactly what I mean.

You got that right. It's kind of scary how well Petey reads the play sometimes. Our D will be off faffing around somewhere and in comes Petey to save the day and force the turn over. 

That's extremely rare with highly skilled players as they typically focus all their training on offense, but not Petterson, he can save a goal and score one all in the same shift!

1 minute ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Unrelated to the Canucks but it looks like Hitchcock should’ve stayed in retirement. Lol!

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/shots-fired-oilers-coach-ken-hitchcock-blasts-team-for-lack-of-desire

Hitch should have known better.  I think once he got a whiff of the stench in that locker room he knew he made a mistake.  But he swallowed his pride, and half of Edmonton with it, and is still going.  All fat jokes aside, he should have known better.  SOMETHING IS ROTTEN IN EDMONTON.

40 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Markstrom is a #1 goalie

35 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Seriously, was it just me or was Pettersson actually throwing a few hits tonight?

28 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

To be fair we deserved to win two of our last 3 on the road so I'll take this one. 

32 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

...  Pettersson and Boeser simply out-played the Flames top line which has been the best in the league all season long. ...

Markstrom obviously, best performance ...

On defence we desperately miss Edler clearly. Stecher was our best D-man for sure, ...

On the whole, you have to say that this is a coaching win ... .

1. Not much doubt that Marky was the top story tonight. It is not often that a goalie gives up 3 goals and still gets a "steal". But Marky gets an official steal on my scorecard. 

2. The other big story is Pettersson. He was credited with 3 hits tonight, tied for the lead among the forwards. Oh, and he also got two great assists and the SO game-winning goal as well. Boeser was also good. But he had a lot of good looks tonight and needed to bury one, which he did. A lot of those good looks came courtesy of EP who is a great playmaker and a great sniper (not to mention his physical game ::D).

3. I was going to make the same point as canuck73_3, and I might as well repeat it. Hockey is a weird game. You can outplay the other teams in three straight games and lose all three then get outplayed pretty badly and come away with a win. Part of it is goaltending but Marky played well in all 4 games. Part of it is just the way the puck bounces.

4. Nice overall summary from DownUndaCanuck. I was actually going to make many of the same points, especially about Stecher. For most of the year I have been arguing that Stecher in underappreciated. He looked good on the PP tonight and we were unlucky the PP did not score. I have been arguing that Stecher should get more PP time and more PK time. Tonight he got more time than Guddy on the PK. I am pretty sure that is the first time this season that has happened and it is the right call in my view. Stecher led the D with 26 minutes tonight.

5. The only point made by DownUnda that I do not really see is giving a lot of credit to Green. I think Green is a good coach who has gotten as much we could reasonably expect from the team this season. But I don't see anything special about his role tonight as opposed to other nights. I see tonight's game as a steal for Marky, so it is hard to give Green a lot of extra credit for tonight. I admit that the team played hard in the third (after a terrible second) but Green has had the team playing consistently hard for a while now, so I don't think tonight was an outlier.

6. The PK was important again tonight. Hutton and Tanev were rocks on the PK. And the forward combo of Sutter and Eriksson has become an excellent PK pairing (and was out there for about 70% of the PK time tonight, which is very high for one forward combo). But neither of those guys is doing anything offensively.

7. The team gave up 47 shots, including a lot of grade A chances. According to Natural Stat Trick, in the 2nd and 3rd periods, Calgary outchanced the Canucks 37 to 17. 37 chances is a huge number for two periods.  So what went wrong with the D? One obvious point is that, as always happens, Biega is wearing down after a few games. He has to play a high energy game just to compete at the NHL and he can't keep it up for long. He needs a break and I hope we see Brisebois get a chance. Pouliot of course continues to struggle. The Pouliot/Biega pairing is not really a legitimate NHL pairing. The Tanev/Guddy pairing is also not doing particularly well. Tanev is worse with Guddy than he is with anyone else, probably diue to playing the left side. Guddy is okay on a third pairing but in the top 4 he struggles. 

Big emotional win tonight against a top team. That has to help team morale. And Hughes has a good night tonight in the NCAA. With the the recent talk about him turning pro this season, I can't help thinking that if Edler and Hughes slot in to the D in place of Pouliot and Biega, the D overall goes for poor to good and the Canucks could be a threat to upset someone in the first round of the playoffs, if they make it that far.

2 minutes ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

I think I yelled at all the defence tonight,and Erikson and Virtanen.Tanev looks stunned lately,so many mistakes.Biega was way too wild out there,getting out of position chasing guys.

It’s really shocking that we are in the hunt with this defence 

Archived