The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

McDavid didnt make 50 PTS in his first 50 games rookie season, Pettersson did. Only three other guys that have. Injuries or not, it is what it is. 

McDavid's rookie season was also his draft +1, whereas Pettersson's was his draft +2.

Great game to watch...

Marky, Marky, Markey.... simply incredible. Amazing to think this is the same goaltender that used to concede a softy in the first 5 minutes of every match. 

Elias showing, he's got more than a bit of feistiness in him to go with his incredible skill. Very impressed.

Liked Stecher on the PP. Even though they didn't score, he looked better at distributing controlling the puck in the offensive zone than Hutton, and was quicker at covering than Edler usually is.

Edler is a huge miss on the back end. 

Bo got the Monkey off his back, and looked really happy with it. Really unlucky in OT.

And finally while Guddy never will be an Erik Karlson on our back end I thank the lord all mighty for him in games like these... Without him, Flames would bully their way right through this team. He is the one player they don't go to town with. 

All in all a gutsy win.... in a great game of hockey.

Not happy with Green's decision to put Granlund as the third shooter. I know Horvat sucks at shootouts, but he had scored his first goal in whatever many games and played solid throughout the game. Then, Green has the wherewithal to put Markus freakin' Granlund as the third shooter??? You don't think Horvat sees the first 2 shooters being Pettersson and Boeser and think to himself that he's part of that trio of core forwards and that he belongs to shoot with them? Who the F*** is Markus Granlund?

And why was Gudbranson out for the last 2 mins? If the Flames scored then and there I might've converted to a Leafs fan lol

29 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Wrong.... Jake has an excellent shot.  He scores a lot of goals from positions where most players don't do anything.

Where he is lacking is in not being willing to go to the net and get the dirty goals.   He has the size and hands to do that, but seems to be afraid to get his nose in there.

Yeah, I dunno man. I like Jake, I really do but  his Utica output was about the the same (9G 10A in 65 games). If he was such a sniper you would think he would have produced a bit more down on the farm. I mean, I hope he develops and turns into an impact player but I recall hearing the same comments about Mason Raymond year after year. " He just needs more time to develop" etc etc.

I wonder if TG should play him on PP1? He can take Horvats spot in front of the net. At the very least he'll pick up some assists and maybe a tip in or two on that unit. At least get his confidence up.

It might be beneficial to have Horvat on our PP2 anyway so that our PP1 isn't so stacked while PP2 is compartivly weak.  I dunno about you all but I cringe every time I see Petey and Boeser leave the ice to make way for the PP2 to come on.

6 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Not happy with Green's decision to put Granlund as the third shooter. I know Horvat sucks at shootouts, but he had scored his first goal in whatever many games and played solid throughout the game. Then, Green has the wherewithal to put Markus freakin' Granlund as the third shooter??? You don't think Horvat sees the first 2 shooters being Pettersson and Boeser and think to himself that he's part of that trio of core forwards and that he belongs to shoot with them? Who the F*** is Markus Granlund?

And why was Gudbranson out for the last 2 mins? If the Flames scored then and there I might've converted to a Leafs fan lol

Yeah, if not Horvat at least Goldy or Leivo. Granny was a strange choice. 

2 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

how many gaffs can one defence make,

before they're forever banned?

Lost track of how many times I wanted to throw something at the screen from all the unforced turnovers and failures to clear the puck.  Beiga, Pouliot, and Gudbranson were terrible, but at least Biega joined EP in rubbing Neale's bad season in his face.  WAY too many Flames left open uncovered, especially Johnny Cherrypicker, and although much of that was from the unforced giveaways, how do you continue to leave him uncovered and give him clear breakaways?  You know he's out there, who's his check?

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Big shout out for Stecher...…..26 + minutes tonight!

Stecher competed well but looked a bit over his head.  Probably his career high in minutes, and he did a lot of good things.  Will have to see how he continues to handle increased minutes like that, but anything to get the PP going at this point is needed, and badly.  The 4:3 and 5:3s are particularly embarrassing.  Zero confidence, they look like they don't even know what they're supposed to do.

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Lost track of how many times I wanted to throw something at the screen from all the unforced turnovers and failures to clear the puck.  Beiga, Pouliot, and Gudbranson were terrible, but at least Biega joined EP in rubbing Neale's bad season in his face.  WAY too many Flames left open uncovered, especially Johnny Cherrypicker, and although much of that was from the unforced giveaways, how do you continue to leave him uncovered and give him clear breakaways?  You know he's out there, who's his check?

Stecher competed well but looked a bit over his head.  Probably his career high in minutes, and he did a lot of good things.  Will have to see how he continues to handle increased minutes like that, but anything to get the PP going at this point is needed, and badly.  The 4:3 and 5:3s are particularly embarrassing.  Zero confidence, they look like they don't even know what they're supposed to do.

/coughbaumgartnerplayedhiswholecareerintheminors

9 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

He went with stats.

Granlund has the best shootout record on the team(*) since Green took over last season with 60% (3 for 5).  With his miss his record is now 50% (3 for 6) and it's still better than anyone else available.

Horvat is 0 for 5 over 2 seasons.  Goldobin 0 for 4.  Boeser is 25% (1 for 4).  Pettersson is 33% (1 for 3).   

(*) Baer is 100% but he only went once and is not playing

22 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/granlunds-shootout-goal/t-277437438/c-62165303

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ0gSIzAxjA

59 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

I didnt get that as well. Gudbranson was absolutely AWFUL tonight (just like most other nights). Its just one turn over after the other. 4 million $ worth of garbage

Archived