The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Zack MacEwen

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

As it turns out, less is clearly more when it comes to your posts.

This is your best post in years.  It completely lacks content, which is miles better than when you add your usual random word salad and cherry picked stats.

ironic considering it was intended as a mirror / response to your post. 

you're all chirp, no content, all the time.

you should try some word salad.  sounds like something you could use to get 'things moving' lol

58 minutes ago, oldnews said:

pretty sure he separated his shoulder this season.....and missed 30 games.

I think he, Roussel and Virtanen make a great line, actually.   Likewise with the Beagle, Motte (LE, Granny) line.

Sutter is clearly not 100% - evident in his faceoff % which has fallen below 50% - but it's what he will bring in the next few years that really matters imo (present results don't really matter as much) - or a significant return if they decide to move him.

He had a pretty damn good year last year in my opinion. Strong defensively, great on the pk. Even made some nice passes which he isn't known for. 

But even to begin this year he has looked out of it. Still good on the pk but he's been getting burned at 5 on 5. I don't know what you're seeing with the Virtanen-Sutter combination. Virtanen was a lot better with Gaudette and has looked okay with Horvat here and there. With Sutter and Virtanen both being pure shooters, their styles just don't match at all offensively. Playing defensive roles doesn't mean we ignore the offense entirely. Virtanen only has 4 goals when Sutter is in the line-up...a pace of 13? goals over 82 games. They haven't been able to keep the puck out of the net as well. Rousell has looked good with Horvat and Beagle as well, think he's just a good versatile player who you can put anywhere and he'll play his role well. He's a spark you can put on any line to get them going a bit. 

I though Sutter did well the previous 2 years but we can do better moving forward. 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Jesus Murphy....

So glad you aren’t our GM.

We would be a team full of your favourite “elite” type players like Sutter and Gudbranson who are paid big bucks on long term contracts.

The game has passed Sutter by.  We need to move him before other GMs fully realize it.

Don't forget his other two favs, Granlund and Gaunce. 

Seriously we have a team of underperforming vets, whose only real talents are defensively attempting at shutting down other teams offense, the type of player that is not exactly going extinct around the league, and overperforming rookies and younger players that are carrying the team, along with Marky.  The more of these coasting vets we can shed the better.  There is a cost to playing more rookies in mistakes they make. But sticking with vets who are complacent and slow is not an improvement, and hardly tips the scales.

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Jesus Murphy....

So glad you aren’t our GM.

We would be a team full of your favourite “elite” type players like Sutter and Gudbranson who are paid big bucks on long term contracts.

The game has passed Sutter by.  We need to move him before other GMs fully realize it.

This isn't a comment on their value as players but neither Sutter nor Gudbranson are paid "big bucks" by today's NHL standards. As far as contracts, Sutter on;y has a couple years after this one and Gudbranson isn't on a long term contract to begin with.  Do some people not realize that it isn't a 64 million dollar cap anymore and 3-4 years isn't long term when 1-7/8 years is the available range ? 

Such a good story and the guy keeps defying the odds. Will be great to see his first game tonight with the big club. Could just be what we need on our top 9 and gives Jake some internal competition.  Great find if he can become a heart and soul player for us up here.

3C8EDD8F-F647-45F9-BACD-FECCF6623831.jpeg

C543D18C-8E79-4B94-92B1-2FABEDAA4512.jpeg

828E4AE1-6ED3-46B3-8D20-DCC820C7E37C.jpeg

16 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I was wondering if some other player was injured during the Calgary game or just before.

Because calling up at 2:30AM is really odd, definitely not like it was a plan all along, more like a player going down, Motte did not look his usual self.

Post game, we know that it was Sutter.

I thought that MacEwen acquitted himself fairly well in his first game.  It took him a while to get used to the speed but as the game went on it was clear that he was fast enough to play at the NHL level.  By the 3rd period, he showed that he can be effective as a net front presence.  He got a big chear from me on his assist.  :towel:

Archived