The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sutter to Habs

Just a quick prop, before headin' out the door. Less than impressed with BS this yr. I'm not sure how many posters accept BS on our squad?

For Habbies, Alzner is a bum they're possibly going to buy out. He makes more, & I think there's an extra yr on his deal? Also Habs need C's, so they might tolerate some BS?

Van: BSutter

Mtl: Alzner(Habs retain 600k-1 mill..that range)

Question: for the 'pleasure' of us taking this albatross, does Mtl add a 2019 2nd, or 3rd?

PS..I'd rather we get Gaudette up, ASAP. Smart kid..he'll get rolling soon. & the AHL is a lousy goon show(no repercussions for cheap shots, get AG outa' there!)

PPS..I think we can handle Alzner's hit for a yr or two. Park him in Utica.

If we make the playoffs we'll need Sutter for those hard minutes and tough assignments.  I wouldn't want Gaudette to have that burden quite yet, but it might come to that with any injuries that would occur own the middle.

This all depends on what position we're in at the deadline, but I have a feeling management will want to make a push with the roster we have unless there are deals that Benning can't turn down.

That would be a big win for MTL. Similar salaries but Sutter is still a functioning NHLer. Alzner is on waivers...

I am, however, totally on board the trade Sutter train. I don't think there is anything he does that Brendan Gaunce can't do. Virtanen takes some heat for going through scoring slumps, but it isn't easy when you're playing with perhaps the least capable Center in the entire league when it comes to distributing pucks per minutes played. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jim would get fired for making this deal. 

Have you seen what JB/Brackett DO with picks? We're talkin a silk purse from a sow's ear, level of Biblical theft? Prices might be off, but how much contract would we take on to land an extra 2nd?(it's an honest question)

Just now, The Beagle had landed said:

If we make the playoffs we'll need Sutter for those hard minutes and tough assignments.  I wouldn't want Gaudette to have that burden quite yet, but it might come to that with any injuries that would occur own the middle.

This all depends on what position we're in at the deadline, but I have a feeling management will want to make a push with the roster we have unless there are deals that Benning can't turn down.

This is the scary thing. The Canucks will be in a position to make the playoffs even if they lose four straight. The teams in 8-12 are just that bad that it is anyone's race. I will always cheer for this team to win. I'm not on "team tank" or anything like that, but I also think that judging this team by their ability to make the playoffs cannot be used as a proxy to judge whether this team is good. 

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Just a quick prop, before headin' out the door. Less than impressed with BS this yr. I'm not sure how many posters accept BS on our squad?

For Habbies, Alzner is a bum they're possibly going to buy out. He makes more, & I think there's an extra yr on his deal? Also Habs need C's, so they might tolerate some BS?

Van: BSutter

Mtl: Alzner(Habs retain 600k-1 mill..that range)

Question: for the 'pleasure' of us taking this albatross, does Mtl add a 2019 2nd, or 3rd?

PS..I'd rather we get Gaudette up, ASAP. Smart kid..he'll get rolling soon. & the AHL is a lousy goon show(no repercussions for cheap shots, get AG outa' there!)

PPS..I think we can handle Alzner's hit for a yr or two. Park him in Utica.

I don't see Sutter leaving anytime soon, he's part of their leadership core for at least another year or two. If we make him available for trade, there will be significant interest.

Gaudette, in my opinion, is playing exactly where he should be right now. Big minutes in Utica, refining his game and getting stronger. He doesn't look out of place in the NHL, but the rest of this year down there and a good summer of training and he'll be much better positioned to make an impact at the NHL level. He was only playing, just over 10 min per night in Vancouver, he's better off playing 18 to 20 per night in Utica for the moment.

Don't rush him, there's no reason to.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jim would get fired for making this deal. 

As he should.  Trade one player who is still a 3c with just a bad to meh series of games lately (mind you coming off an injury) vs a player who’s best years are clearly behind him.  We better be getting more than a salary dump for Sutter than a draft pick.

no way does Benning do this.

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

That would be a big win for MTL. Similar salaries but Sutter is still a functioning NHLer. Alzner is on waivers...

I am, however, totally on board the trade Sutter train. I don't think there is anything he does that Brendan Gaunce can't do. Virtanen takes some heat for going through scoring slumps, but it isn't easy when you're playing with perhaps the least capable Center in the entire league when it comes to distributing pucks per minutes played. 

So where is the line we all dance upon? EG: If Habs added a 2019 2nd & 2020 3rd? Surely there must be an equation that's amenable for both parties.

I believe AG would cut the mustard BETTER than Sutter, this spring. Maybe I'm wrong, but I like them going with the kid.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yet they apparently need concrete shoes for the Richmond D-man, I've read.

Having Alzner in the minors as insurance against injuries is a better fit got Montreal than paying $4.4 for a guy that would be their 4C.  Montreal has depth at forward. So much do that they’ve already lost 3 players to waivers this season.  Sutter simply isn’t a fit for Montreal 

Just now, qwijibo said:

Having Alzner in the minors as insurance against injuries is a better fit got Montreal than paying $4.4 for a guy that would be their 4C.  Montreal has depth at forward. So much do that they’ve already lost 3 players to waivers this season.  Sutter simply isn’t a fit for Montreal 

Decent argument..thanks Q

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Have you seen what JB/Brackett DO with picks? We're talkin a silk purse from a sow's ear, level of Biblical theft? Prices might be off, but how much contract would we take on to land an extra 2nd?(it's an honest question)

I have, the JB's are doing a great job on amateur scouting. I just think people don't appreciate what Sutter does for this team. Go back and watch the games vs Edmonton if you're able to find them, and focus in on his time vs McDavid. 

9 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

This is the scary thing. The Canucks will be in a position to make the playoffs even if they lose four straight. The teams in 8-12 are just that bad that it is anyone's race. I will always cheer for this team to win. I'm not on "team tank" or anything like that, but I also think that judging this team by their ability to make the playoffs cannot be used as a proxy to judge whether this team is good. 

This team is good enough to make the playoffs, but a few key peices away from making an impact.  Those key peices will cost too much at the deadline and I'd rather we compete with the line up we have, minus a few players that are expendable like Schaller or Pouliot.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have, the JB's are doing a great job on amateur scouting. I just think people don't appreciate what Sutter does for this team. Go back and watch the games vs Edmonton if you're able to find them, and focus in on his time vs McDavid. 

This is a good point too. Guy had me fumin' with his boneheaded penalty in Chi-town. Maybe he'll get back to his proper level of play?

Archived