The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sutter to Habs

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm all for moving Sutter, but Alzner? Really?

Sutter isn't chopped liver. He'll be able to land us a nice piece or pick. 

It's not a straight-up proposal..& this ain't a TOEIC reading proficiency test.

The question was asked in the original post. HOW MUCH do the Habs add to make this worthwhile? I didn't suggest a 1st, b/c THAT would precipitate a different uproar.

Another point..may's well throw it in here for kicks. I like recycling stuff. I realize there's other pieces within the big equation, but most people prob see the Kesler return as Sutter & Gudbranson(at this point in time).

So then it becomes Alzner, EG & a FRESH 2nd(for home draft).

Perhaps in a yr or two, you land a 2nd for Gudbranson too?

If even one of these 2nd's strike oil, you've got a fine young ELC to work with, almost 2 decades after the original 2003 pick. By having lots of cap open, you can work on a few of these 'patient' projects.

A rising young team, & well-established farm set-up, enhance the probabilities that your 2nd's will bear fruit. An excess of young talent works as a rising tide that lifts all boats.

If we're taking a cap dump for several seasons, we better get back a decent pick or prospect as well.

Bickell netted Teravainen for Carolina.  Bolland got Crouse I believe for Arizona.  Alzner's too slow for this league now so he's dead weight.  The Habs might not need Sutter but at least he's functional and I'm sure some contender would want to bolster their ranks with him.  No such luck with Karl so we better get a premium asset in return for him.  

Just now, Phil_314 said:

If we're taking a cap dump for several seasons, we better get back a decent pick or prospect as well.

Bickell netted Teravainen for Carolina.  Bolland got Crouse I believe for Arizona.  Alzner's too slow for this league now so he's dead weight.  The Habs might not need Sutter but at least he's functional and I'm sure some contender would want to bolster their ranks with him.  No such luck with Karl so we better get a premium asset in return for him.  

Look elsewhere. Sutter doesn’t make sense for Montreal for several reasons. 

Alzner is an AHL dman making close to 4 million a year for the next 3 years after this one. I’d rather call up 4 dmen on the Comets and give them minutes than have Alzner.

Retain Sutter 50%. A 3rd line Center that’s great at draws and killing penalties at 2.125 million a year even with his limited offence will bring you a great return from a playoff team weak on bottom 6 Center depth!

If you wanna trade Sutter, that is fine, but why give him away and take a bad contract in return???  Sutter still has some value and utility, i'm pretty sure we can get a decent return for him. 

Anyways, he's on IR right now, which he is often.  Therefore, even if he was useless it's better to keep him and end up on IR than having Alzner buried in the minors.

18 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't see Sutter leaving anytime soon, he's part of their leadership core for at least another year or two. If we make him available for trade, there will be significant interest.

Gaudette, in my opinion, is playing exactly where he should be right now. Big minutes in Utica, refining his game and getting stronger. He doesn't look out of place in the NHL, but the rest of this year down there and a good summer of training and he'll be much better positioned to make an impact at the NHL level. He was only playing, just over 10 min per night in Vancouver, he's better off playing 18 to 20 per night in Utica for the moment.

Don't rush him, there's no reason to.

OMG, Sutter has no offence as a centre playing the #3 spot...I feel sorry for poor Jake playing beside this soft 6'3 centre with very very little skill to set up plays..

This guy is not a #3 centre put only a shut down guy.... Poor Jake will never make it to 15 goals with Sutter as his centre..

Sorry time to trade Sutter 29, next season its time for change on the 3rd line.... Gaudette #3 no question......

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Sutter to Habs
9 hours ago, wildcam said:

OMG, Sutter has no offence as a centre playing the #3 spot...I feel sorry for poor Jake playing beside this soft 6'3 centre with very very little skill to set up plays..

This guy is not a #3 centre put only a shut down guy.... Poor Jake will never make it to 15 goals with Sutter as his centre..

Sorry time to trade Sutter 29, next season its time for change on the 3rd line.... Gaudette #3 no question......

Gaudette might be ready next season, lets see what he proves in camp. He’s really close though. 

If Sutter slips to #4, not really worried about it, and I don’t think the Canucks are either.

Remember, it takes more than just offense to win the cup, there are lessons that they want Jake to learn and be part of his nature and happen without him having to think about. Knowing the defensive side of the game will give us a much more complete player in the long run.

Patience, this isn’t really our time to complete!

I think Sutter has lingering pain at times from his sports hernia surgery. He will skate well for a few games after coming off IR then look slow and tentative for stretches.

All the hard minutes on his body are likely to shorten his career unless his minutes are limited. A deep team with cap room might want him at 4C with retained salary.

I think his body and play will hit the wall in a year or two just like Kessler. If he can show some decent play before this trade deadline maybe it's time to move on.

Archived