The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 11, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Pettersson with another point 

MacEwen with a point and looked good net front presence. 

Bo with another goal.

meh, the Canucks d is so bad it’s been masked by how well markstrom has played  look at neilson  in Ottawa hes been just fine. 

A Slow and ineffective d group that rarely makes a good first pass. 

But we better be worried about resigning/trading tanev or edler for future pieces.lol.becuase making the  playoffs is more beneficial I say having high quality prospect and draft picks that will actually make the team better long term is more beneficial but being short sighted is easier 

This d group is one of the worst in the league it has been for a few years. Pettersson and markstrom are the only two reasons we aren’t in deadlast. 

Welcome to Vancouver Mikey where the d coverage is worse than your. Jr team. 

4 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:
31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s why Guddy needs a partner who is a skating puck mover, like he had in Campbell.  Hughes is the perfect partner for Guddy.  

I can see the logic in that, it may work. Get Guddy focused on his strengths again instead of having to skate and chase, let Hughes do that for him, kinda like a rover..Could work!

Guddy was not any better in Florida apart from the playoffs.

Hughes or Stecher? In the dzone Stecher is probably better/stronger.

How much you want to bet that Hughes is 5'10" by the time he ices up for the Nucks?:lol::lol::lol:

33 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

The problem I see with Guddy now, is that teams are just staying away from him and working around him. Now he actually has to skate and play the game like a modern defender, which isn’t going well for him...it’s frustrating to watch, but smart move by the opposing teams to take him out as a threat in the game...he’s effectively been neutered.

I'm not sure what Guddy did wrong last night for people to get so riled up about him?  The first goal was a battle behind the net with two Sharks, he did what he could and the breakdown was the player in front of the net, not with Guddy.  He played the 2 on 1 goal pretty well against one of the best playmakers in the history of the game, hard to fault him there.  He tried to engage Kane who wanted nothing to do with him, something people have been begging for, and ended up taking a penalty........but he did what most of the whiners want him to do.

And Pouliot (I know you didn't mention him)?  I thought he actually played pretty well last night. If you want to point fingers at defenders last night, point at Tanev and Hutton, who were not very good at all.

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure what Guddy did wrong last night for people to get so riled up about him?  The first goal was a battle behind the net with two Sharks, he did what he could and the breakdown was the player in front of the net, not with Guddy.  He played the 2 on 1 goal pretty well against one of the best playmakers in the history of the game, hard to fault him there.  He tried to engage Kane who wanted nothing to do with him, something people have been begging for, and ended up taking a penalty........but he did what most of the whiners want him to do.

And Pouliot (I know you didn't mention him)?  I thought he actually played pretty well last night. If you want to point fingers at defenders last night, point at Tanev and Hutton, who were not very good at all.

I don’t think he played terrible, they all played a loose game last night. I was more referencing the fact that Guddy tried to initiate something with Kane and he just smirked and walked away. A lot of teams are now doing that to him now. Just not engaging with him. Making him skate and chase the puck, when Guddy gets skating and chasing he gets a bit lost. If he could just stay around the crease and have a smaller area to focus on I think we’d see the Guddy of old. Hughes has the mobility to act as rover to do the chasing. Pouliot is mobile, I see your point there, but his brain farts, and bad passing in the dzone don’t make me confident in them as a pair...I don’t have an answer, just riffing on things lol.

12 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

How much you want to bet that Hughes is 5'10" by the time he ices up for the Nucks?:lol::lol::lol:

Florida fans disagree

Hey don't be so disappointed if the team wants to be a contender before Horvat retires they will need to put 3 or 4 rookies in the lineup each year for a couple of years and there will be stinkers.

This also shows how not ready this current group is for playoffs and how much more depth is needed.

There is a goalie in the AHL, Leighton for Utica to use and the goalie Utica is using now.

Most of the panic and anger is because of fantasy thoughts of playoffs and managements' failure to stem over enthusiasm or expectations, instead they have fueled them to sell tickets by staying silent.

11 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

...I never mentioned Stetcher at all. You can make a point without being a know it all ass. If you have a point to make then by all means make it, but get out of my grill bud if you can’t have a decent conversation without trying to make someone else look like a fool. I’m here to talk Canucks hockey and listen to people’s ideas, you just seems to be on here to push your thoughts on people.

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

...I never mentioned Stetcher at all. You can make a point without being a know it all ass. If you have a point to make then by all means make it, but get out of my grill bud if you can’t have a decent conversation without trying to make someone else look like a fool. I’m here to talk Canucks hockey and listen to people’s ideas, you just seems to be on here to push your thoughts on people.

No I used Stecher as an example because he is here now. Hughes may have more offensive upside but is already known he needs to work in the dzone. Stecher and Guddy don't work well together, Campbell was/is bigger than Hughes.

I just want Guddy to play more physical. Look at Dillon everytime we play them. Throws huge hits and is always in someone’s face making an impact on the game. Guddy does that once every 10 games. I can’t even remember his last big hit. He pushes guys in the d-zone and they barely move.

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

No I used Stecher as an example because he is here now. Hughes may have more offensive upside but is already known he needs to work in the dzone. Stecher and Guddy don't work well together, Campbell was/is bigger than Hughes.

Stetcher is a RD tho? Hughes LD. After our disappointing Taney at LD experiment I would not want to try Stetcher at LD either. There are a lot of unknowns with Hughes for sure. But we do know he wants to play the year out here it seems, so I do see Alfs reasoning behind matching him up with Guddy. I’m having coffee now too, so will be less snarky now. Cheers :)

5 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Top four teams in the west are looking deadly. Conference semi-finals are gonna be some good hockey if it ends up being Sharks/Flames and Jets/Preds.

Yeah the cream has definitely risen to the top finally. Took long enough tho! Still crazy the wild card race in the west. 

41 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Met Orr a couple times over the years.  He’s 5’10.

10 hours ago, on the cycle said:

Tryamkin didn't get enough ice time because of Willie. Jim should have told Tryamkin that he would get more ice time the following year. The sad thing is that if Tryamkin doesn't leave we wouldn't have Gudbranson and would still have McCann.

I just think that Benning isn't a very good GM, I wish we would have kept Gilman.

Benning really should be the highest paid director of amateur scouting in the league.

Umm. nope.  Guddy was acquired while Tryamkin was still on the team.

Regardless, I'd still trade McCann for Guddy.  

20 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Guddy does all the heavy lifting in the Dzone.  He frees up pucks for Hughes (or whomever the low forward is) who then move the puck up the ice.  Hughes is a phenomenal skater.  He and Guddy will compliment each other’s strengths perfectly.  

“So it shall be written...so it shall be done”.  

Everyone loves to blame the D, and they're usually right, but 7 goals on 24 shots was not just the D's fault last night. DiPietro was thrown to the sharks. He's too inexperienced and too small. He was bad.

MacEwen was very good, he's going to be a good one, along with Gaudette.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess, but Philly picking up a guy they don't really need wasn't all that predictable. 

The price for another backup is probably really high right now, do you really want to lose a mid-round pick e.g., over 1 game? 

There are some viable options they could have signed such as kari lehtonen 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He wasn't that bad last night or even over the last 5 games, but he does all the little things wrong as usual and the goals against add up over time.

He got beat behind the net, plain and simple, he kicked the puck right to the Sharks player who made the quick pass. Coverage was crap in front and the main reason for the goal against but he got beat 1 on 1 behind the net to start the play as well.

He played the 2 on 1 terribly, don't really need to analyse that play but it's not a video you use to teach the kids. Body way too deep, only his stick is between the 2 players, not the way you want to do it. Again, the goal was mainly Tanev's fault but Gudbranson doesn't cover for the mistake. 

This is why he gives up so many goals. He doesn't give away the puck much or get caught on odd man rushes (the optically obvious poor defensive plays), but he is considerably worse at positioning, stick work, and 1 on 1 battles than most of our other defensemen. Because of this, he gets caught in his own zone a lot as he is unable to separate puck from player and efficiently get the puck going the other way. Constant defense will eventually lead to a breakdown or an unlucky bounce. 

His deficiencies in the basics of defense is his downfall (with a huge contribution from his skating). Count how many times Stecher, Tanev, Edler separate a player from the puck and then make the smart pass out with control. Or intercept a pass and maintain control. Its on the magnitude of 4-5 times that of Gudbranson I bet. So many times you see him hit a guy, take the puck with plenty of space available and then just smack it off the glass and out, giving the opposing team the puck again. Guddy essentially overwhelms his own team with defensive work, tiring out our players and giving the opposing team way more opportunities than they should be getting.

Archived