The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Marek Mazanec to Canucks for 2020 7th-round pick

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

24 shots, that's all the D let by. DiPietro is a small goalie who gave up way too much net. I know we love the guy and we're all pulling for him, but let's be realistic. He's not an NHL goalie (yet).  

Don't know who this Mazanec guy is, but he's got size and NHL experienced. We'll take him!

Quality of those shots were high.  Pouliot was absolute trash all night and Hutton also had a rough game.

there is literally nothing to suggest Pouliot will ever developing into someone who isn't a massive liability in his own zone so we might as well try to get a draft pick who at least has some hope of becoming an NHLer.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And why wasn’t this done when Demko got injured?  Why call up Dipietro, and perhaps ruin a prospect’s confidence by putting him way over his head, when we could have given up a seventh round pick?

One game? This is isn’t the Coilers, he’s not going to be repeatedly thrown in the fire. If anything it’s good for the kid. He has a feel for it now and there will be lots of work ahead for this young man. 

Cheers

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

Hmm Eddy Lack... Steve Mason, Leighton to a NHL contract? No we traded the pick we got out of the MDZ trade because we didn’t manage this goalie situation properly and instead of using our cap space we went and traded a pick (as a rebuilding team you need) and we spend it on a goalie we could’ve signed elsewhere for free. I know it’s just a freakin 7th but this situation was bad and looks bad now from a trade management point of view. Nothing wrong with dipping into free agency when you have cap. Oh well

Lack is done for the season because of hip surgery. Mason hasn't retired but it doesn't look like he tried to play anywhere else this year. 

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

Hmm Eddy Lack... Steve Mason, Leighton to a NHL contract? No we traded the pick we got out of the MDZ trade because we didn’t manage this goalie situation properly and instead of using our cap space we went and traded a pick (as a rebuilding team you need) and we spend it on a goalie we could’ve signed elsewhere for free. I know it’s just a freakin 7th but this situation was bad and looks bad now from a trade management point of view. Nothing wrong with dipping into free agency when you have cap. Oh well

By the time you get to the 7th round, you can probably get the guy you want as an undrafted UFA.  Trade looks fine overall as getting rid of Delzaster was addition by subtraction anyway.  Bringing in a vet backup probably would have Demko looking over his shoulder as well.  Consider it a vote of confidence that Demko's truly ready.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Quality of those shots were high.  Pouliot was absolute trash all night and Hutton also had a rough game.

there is literally nothing to suggest Pouliot will ever developing into someone who isn't a massive liability in his own zone so we might as well try to get a draft pick who at least has some hope of becoming an NHLer.

I totally agree that the D is not very good. Tanev, our best Dman right now, was bad as well. I noticed DiPietro was fighting the puck all night, that's the way he plays though, very athletic. But because he's small, he leaves big gaping holes in net. In desperation he dives forward to make the save, leaving the top completely open. There's a cover page photo of him doing just that in today's Province. Very flexible, just geez look at all of that open net.

4 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

omg just relax we have enough prospects to that are insane in our prospect pool... and its just a 7th round pick as well, next year canucks prob be buyers to make playoffs. 

Lack is lacking with injuries, masons career is coming to an end, Mazanec is still young and can play in the NHL. imo its a good move ! despite losing a pick we dont it , next eyars draft is pretty weak tbh.

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And why wasn’t this done when Demko got injured?  Why call up Dipietro, and perhaps ruin a prospect’s confidence by putting him way over his head, when we could have given up a seventh round pick?

probably expecting someone to be put on waivers by now?

putting a rookie behind an exhausted team like that more than once might ruin him , good move jimbo!

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Speaking of fast food stuff...I ain’t liking the paper straws that A&W now uses.  OK, that was a pretty random post in a hockey thread.:P

I know what you mean man. When I sip my A&W root beer it feels like my mouth is sucking it out of a napkin. Very good post random or not.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I totally agree that the D is not very good. Tanev, our best Dman right now, was bad as well. I noticed DiPietro was fighting the puck all night, that's the way he plays though, very athletic. But because he's small, he leaves big gaping holes in net. In desperation he dives forward to make the save, leaving the top completely open. There's a cover page photo of him doing just that in today's Province. Very flexible, just geez look at all of that open net.

Yep, he's a very different style to what we're used to.  Fortunately, the proper coaching should be able to help him minimize his size disadvantage while taking advantage of those awesome reflexes.  The NHL doesn't use soccer nets so I'm confident he'll develop just fine.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Yep, he's a very different style to what we're used to.  Fortunately, the proper coaching should be able to help him minimize his size disadvantage while taking advantage of those awesome reflexes.  The NHL doesn't use soccer nets so I'm confident he'll develop just fine.

Agree as well. With proper goalie coaching and development, he could still turn out to be an excellent goalie. It was rough for him to be thrown to the sharks like that, but I think Markstrom's injury was late news and they probably didn't have time to get anyone else signed and playing by game time. I think this speaks to how great Markstrom has been this year, having to play as well as he has with that porous D in front of him.

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't look at it as "ruining his confidence"....more so, "exposing him to what he'll be facing".

I think you have to rely on coaching staff and the other players on the bench to help him understand "it wasn't you, it was us".  The mental game is huge and goaltenders, in particular, have to go through some very lonely times.   So by putting him in there knowing he's "new" and the expectation isn't set too high, it lets him off the hook but also helps prepare him.

You don't know if someone's ready until you try them out.  There's never a timeline for that  because these are individuals.

If this "wrecks" him he likely wouldn't have cut it anyhow.  There are massive swings/peaks and valleys so it's important to be resilient and be able to readily move on without lingering on losses.  If the personnel is in place to help him understand that, he should be fine.  If he falls apart because one game was a blow out then it's better we get a feel for that.

The lonely end of the rink is just that.   But the important takeaway from this game is "life goes on".  It isn't the end of the world and you learn from games like this in order to improve for the next one.  It's about using opportunities as learning experiences, not falling apart because they devastate you.  He'll be fine.

In hindsight....sure, might have not been the best case scenario here to thrust him into something without adequate prep.  But that's how it goes at times and it gave him, as well as the team, a bit of a measuring stick and some footnotes in order to prepare with for his next go.

Archived