The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Marek Mazanec to Canucks for 2020 7th-round pick

1 minute ago, Canckelhead said:

So Canucks Management trades Nilsson for a 6th, then trades a 7th for this career AHL Goalie.

Hmmmm maybe they should have just kept Nilsson... just a thought

Benning's crystal ball must have been malfunctioning cuz he didn't predict Demko getting injured.

8 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

So Canucks Management trades Nilsson for a 6th, then trades a 7th for this career AHL Goalie.

Why? Because of a fluke set of corcumstances?

At the time the Nilsson move was great it opened the door for Demko who is ready and got Nilsson who mind you was only 3-8 with the Canucks out of here so Demko could play. 

Just unfortunate the Flyers have worse Goaltending injury luck than us and started hoarding our Utica pickup. 

4 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

Ummmm Nilsson 2.5 million as a backup - Mazanec 650k - i'll give up 7th rounder any day and move Nillsson for this guy - cap space and Markstrom is the #1 moving forward. 

Good to see this trade, though he'll be cannon fodder.  That said, agreed with those saying ytd likely won't ruin Mikey.

If anything, hope it shows him the pace of the pro game and has him making the suitable adjustments (e.g. pace, micro-adjustments needed to thrive against elite shooters).  Sure he would've faced elite junior prospects like Tolvanen but still not the same as stars in their prime, like the Sharks who're bigger, quicker and experienced.  

All the best Marek, hope he can keep the team in the race.

2 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Ummmm Nilsson 2.5 million as a backup - Mazanec 650k - i'll give up 7th rounder any day and move Nillsson for this guy - cap space and Markstrom is the #1 moving forward. 

They have no worries about cap space right now, it wasn't a considerations at all

20 minutes ago, nergish said:

Anybody watch McKenna in the games since we waived him?
Or literally anything else he's done in his career?

He's awful.

I remember Marek Mazanec from his draft year. I would take rather him than Leighton, McKenna, Kulbikov, or DiPietro right now.

Just an unfortunate situation for Mikey DiPietro. I have no idea why our management and coaching staff thought he was anywhere close to NHL ready. 

He is a good goalie, and a great kid... but man that was rough to watch. His size did not concern me until last night. He is clearly not the same build as the modern NHL netminder. 

In fact, he kinda reminds me of Al Montoya. Which means, at the very least, he'll have a career as a solid, dependable backup.

Maybe he takes this lesson and runs with it, and becomes the greatest goaltender the league's ever seen... 

Just gotta hope it doesn't kill his confidence, because that was half his charm.

MD reminds me of Curtis Joseph, on & off the ice.. which doesn't seem all that bad, but I'm not sure how successful he can be in today's nhl.

only time will tell

Just now, Canckelhead said:

They have no worries about cap space right now, it wasn't a considerations at all

You're telling me a GM does not prefer back up making 650k over a guy making 2.5 million because they have cap space? As others have pointed out they also wanted Demko to get some exposure in the NHL. IF the Canucks are in a playoff position come deadline day have almost 2 million in cap space extra on top of what we have now is a huge bonus.

1 minute ago, MikeBossy said:

Bahahaha totally stole my thunder there Monty - I was going to post the same thing. Watch this guy outperform Koskkinen too :)

Most pathetic thing? Since signing his contract on January 22, Koskinen has played 3 games :lol: 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And why wasn’t this done when Demko got injured?  Why call up Dipietro, and perhaps ruin a prospect’s confidence by putting him way over his head, when we could have given up a seventh round pick?

it may have been in negotiation, NY may have been holding out for a pick for 2019. 

Regardless, as butt ugly as that was last night, its not the end of the world for Mikey. If anything it will drive him to be better. 

58 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Couldn't we have signed a free agent with similar numbers without needing to give up a pick?

But I guess if JB zeroed in on Mazanec specifically, he must be better that AHL goalies without NHL contracts

Thing is, FA or not we would’ve had to put that free agent goalie on waivers, right now we need a NHL goalie to play games with us up here agreed, it will put us in the same situation that McKenna got us in. I was harping as to why don’t we sign a Leighton or Lack or Mason but  I’m now informed that all of them would require waivers and teams right now won’t be doing us any favors.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it may have been in negotiation, NY may have been holding out for a pick for 2019. 

Regardless, as butt ugly as that was last night, its not the end of the world for Mikey. If anything it will drive him to be better. 

Still it’s a bad mistake by JB.  I know he’s building us a great team (that’s obvious). But this scenario with Dipietro was a boo boo.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Still it’s a bad mistake by JB.  I know he’s building us a great team (that’s obvious). But this scenario with Dipietro was a boo boo.  

I'd call it a mistake for sure, if the team misses the playoffs by 2 points thats on Jim for sure. 

That, or Mazanec loses 5-2 instead of 7-2 last night had we got him a day earlier. 

Archived