The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Marek Mazanec to Canucks for 2020 7th-round pick

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

Thing is, FA or not we would’ve had to put that free agent goalie on waivers, right now we need a NHL goalie to play games with us up here agreed, it will put us in the same situation that McKenna got us in. I was harping as to why don’t we sign a Leighton or Lack or Mason but  I’m now informed that all of them would require waivers and teams right now won’t be doing us any favors.

I thought guys only require waivers when sending them down?  We tried to send McKenna down, and he got plucked.  I think JB’s mistake was trading Nilsen for a guy already in the NHL.  He should have got a guy already in the AHL in return.  

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Weird, why not just sign one of the many goaltenders who don’t have a contract like the one playing in utica and it doesn’t cost a draft pick. 

Better give something up for no reason. Trader Jim lol. 

Mazanec if here for less than 10 games or 30 days can go straight to Utica. Whereas a FA would have to go through waivers. 

Given our injuries are short term this helps tye Canucks get through the spell then offers immediate help for Utica without hassle at the cost of a longshot lotto ticket. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd call it a mistake for sure, if the team misses the playoffs by 2 points thats on Jim for sure. 

That, or Mazanec loses 5-2 instead of 7-2 last night had we got him a day earlier. 

Like our current snowfall, this whole scenario will be all but forgotten in a week’s time.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Still it’s a bad mistake by JB.  I know he’s building us a great team (that’s obvious). But this scenario with Dipietro was a boo boo.  

No it's not DiPietro is not nearly as fragile as this fanbase. Christ sake stop panicking it's pathetic. 

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Weird, why not just sign one of the many goaltenders who don’t have a contract like the one playing in utica and it doesn’t cost a draft pick. 

Better give something up for no reason. Trader Jim lol. 

If I'm not mistaken, pretty much any goalie that the Canucks sign would have to pass through waivers to join the team.  While that's not an insurmountable task, perhaps the Canucks are gun shy about dealing with waivers given what happened with McKenna?  Still, it would seem that a veteran goalie would probably be pass through waivers relatively easily.  The Flyers can't hold on to 5 goalies on their roster forever (unless they can really milk this past the trade deadline at which point I seem to recall that roster limits are off?)...

Manzanec is already in the AHL and can stay there or be recalled.  If Manzanec is recalled, then my understanding is that he can stay with the team for awhile and still be exempt from waivers until reaching a certain limit of games played or days spent with the NHL roster.  It gives the Canucks more flexibility and makes it more likely that they will actually be able to keep their goalie.

I'm OK with this - and who know what happens long term

Maybe this guy turns out to be a good back up - don't we need some goalie depth in Utica too?

At a minimum this is better then having to play Mikey D - he isn't ready for the big league quite yet - 

I suspect Marky might be a touch sore from the Flames game - that was a good work out

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

No it's not DiPietro is not nearly as fragile as this fanbase. Christ sake stop panicking it's pathetic. 

I don’t think anyone is panicking.  Dipietro is a long shot (because he’s so small) making it anyway.  Why make it harder on the kid to develop by messing up this situation?  JB messed up on this one.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And why wasn’t this done when Demko got injured?  Why call up Dipietro, and perhaps ruin a prospect’s confidence by putting him way over his head, when we could have given up a seventh round pick?

Implying it doesn't take time to go around to multiple GMs trying to cut a deal...sarcasm!...it does.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think anyone is panicking.  Dipietro is a long shot (because he’s so small) making it anyway.  Why make it harder on the kid to develop by messing up this situation?  JB messed up on this one.  

He didn't mess up the situation, until yesterday morning Markstrom was healthy. Until last week we had 2 healthy goalies and Utica was covered by Leighton’s PTO for the short term. 

Now in lieu of circumstances with Markstrom yesterday he made a move today. But hey let's blow it WAY out of proportion. 

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

Implying it doesn't take time to go around to multiple GMs trying to cut a deal...sarcasm!...it does.

So it’s just coincidence we finalized the deal for a new goalie this morning?  I think JB was waiting for the guy Philly took from us to get back on waivers.  JB took a gamble, and he lost.  It’s not like he went all in though.  He lost a very small pot.  

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

He didn't mess up the situation, until yesterday morning Markstrom was healthy. Until last week we had 2 healthy goalies and Utica was covered by Leighton’s PTO for the short term. 

Now in lieu of circumstances with Markstrom yesterday he made a move today. But hey let's blow it WAY out of proportion. 

It’s a JB mistake.  Yes, a little one (haha...Dipietro is little) but still it’s a mistake.  I think it’s something that just should no way have happened.  

Just now, Alflives said:

So it’s just coincidence we finalized the deal for a new goalie this morning?  I think JB was waiting for the guy Philly took from us to get back on waivers.  JB took a gamble, and he lost.  It’s not like he went all in though.  He lost a very small pot.  

Coincidence? Not sure I follow. What is it coinciding with? Also, of you claim a guy on waivers, you don't get him instantly. You have to wait the 24 hours before you get him.

Just now, Toyotasfan said:

The Flyers can release a goalie now, the Canucks don’t need one anymore.

i swear they have something against the Canucks going back to when they tried to offer sheet Kesler.

These guys compete on every level, and getting JB was a win for the Flyer GM.  JB wins some things too.  

Archived