The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An Important Role for the Sedins (which makes complete sense)?

Dr. Crossbar

I tend to think that it's not the injuries that are the problem, but rather whatever the coaches are telling the players to do that is the problem as well as conditioning which is not necessarily appropriate.  Thinking back, we seem to have spurts of injuries, serious and minor, due to the whole team doing specific things as part of their normal play, such as shot blocking, creating traffic in front of the net, skating haphazardly at times both in and out of traffic, etc.  Sure, teams have injuries, but I think that the team may be over-coached at times, told to do things that aren't necessarily in their wheelhouses, and so they get in trouble much easier than players on other teams, which can easily result in injuries.  This problem is then compounded by the conditioning of the players.  Yes, they are fit in today's NHL, but there's a difference between being fit and being fit and smart about it.  On defense, Niedermayer and Stevens come to mind as having been fit but in different ways.  Scott S was dirty at times, but he was also a block of granite, who other players bounced off of, and who created room around him because of both their fear of him and being in proximity of him.  Scott N was a speedy, cerebral player, who got himself and others out of trouble through fast and creative thinking.  I don't see this type of fitness on the Canucks at present, and don't think I have seen it since Smyl's glory days in the early 80s, with the exception of the Sedins.  He played hard, and during his peak, was hardly injured to the degree that the modern Canucks are.  For the Sedins, their health was part of them knowing what they could do, and do well, and they enhanced those strengths under some effective coaching at the time, which allowed them to become smarter players like Scott Niedermayer. If the coaches allow the players the same freedom, to play to their natural strengths more, then I think the number of injuries will be cut.  Just a few thoughts.                      

6 hours ago, xereau said:

Most injuries are completely random.  You can't teach not getting hit in the wrong place with a shot.  Or not getting pitchforked while falling to completely smash your face.  And I am not sure it takes the Sedins to teach guys how to properly stretch.  Hire a hot yoga teacher.

a hot yoga teacher would DICKstract them ......can you play with a b***r? 

young men, hormones going crazy?

Thinking of the injuries that my dumb brain can think of they aren't really injuries you can prevent necessarily. Beagle broke his hand blocking a shot? I can't remember exactly how he was injured. Sometimes things like that happen. Boeser's injury last year was a freak injury cause some jackass didn't close the door on the bench, Baer's injuries are concussions and I am not sure there are fool proof ways to prevent those in a contact sport. Sometimes you're just unlucky. Petey getting powerbombed I guess at best is a lack of muscle for Petey. But even then it was a stupid play by the opposing player. Edler fell awkwardly and broke his face. Tanev gets injured blocking shots, unless you want him to stop doing the only thing he's good at then we may as well just trade him. Not sure the Sedins have much to offer goalies in the injury prevention spot.  Stech got injured when he was hit blindside, that's on the league to prevent but they are f-ing stupid so oh well I guess.

It'd be great to have the Sedins back. Just not sure they would solve the injury problems we have since we've pretty much had it the entire time the Canucks have existed. Whatever happened to all that medical science and stuff Gillis employed? I think management just needs to start looking at medical side of our team and find ways to improve it. Maybe the team needs to be coached differently. But like I said some of these injuries aren't 100% preventable.

All in all just let the Sedins enjoy retirement. They dedicated almost 20 years of their lives to this team, city and Province. They earned some time away from the game to enjoy life with their families. 

You would think that their presence all those year, other teammates would have imitate their routine, training schedule, workouts, etc....and still there were a plague of injury while they were here....I'm not sure how their presence as coaches/trainers/consultants would change any of that.

It's no secret that the Canucks were not the most physical players, but on the other hand they still took a lot of beating playing that cycle game, sometimes they would get pinned down hard down-low.   Also nowadays we see more and more players getting injured when they are the aggressor rather than the victim (i.e Big Buff), so their lack of physicality towards other players played a part in that too.  IMO it has more to do with anatomy, style of play and luck, than any secret recipe.  I doubt the Sedin could teach their style of play to anyone, they were pretty much unique in that way.

They're busy training for a marathon, or at least one of them is.

Besides, from what I've heard, they stop by the training facility at the Rog regularly to hang and say hi so they probably already talk to some of the young guys anyway. For free.

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't know - that's hard to say as they were always durable regardless of Tortorella.

The question for me is more the type of game he coached, and whether that suited this team or it's personnel? 

When accross the board the team (with a couple exceptions) have career worst years - including the Sedins, particularly from a production standpoint which is the point of their games - then I don't see how Tortorella enhanced their game - or perhaps more importantly, the asset value of the team's tradeable transition assets.

I get what you're saying. I do like that he came in and put their durability to the test and challenged them. At the time, we needed a radical change from the soft, stale country-club culture (the perceptions at least). I get his approach from a need for radical change and seeing who sinks and swims. I just think it was way too much, too quick.

I asked the original question because the Sedins themselves have always admitted their respect and value for Torts while he was here. And with Torts, that respect or value was reciprocal.

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Thinking of the injuries that my dumb brain can think of they aren't really injuries you can prevent necessarily. Beagle broke his hand blocking a shot? I can't remember exactly how he was injured. Sometimes things like that happen. Boeser's injury last year was a freak injury cause some jackass didn't close the door on the bench, Baer's injuries are concussions and I am not sure there are fool proof ways to prevent those in a contact sport. Sometimes you're just unlucky. Petey getting powerbombed I guess at best is a lack of muscle for Petey. But even then it was a stupid play by the opposing player. Edler fell awkwardly and broke his face. Tanev gets injured blocking shots, unless you want him to stop doing the only thing he's good at then we may as well just trade him. Not sure the Sedins have much to offer goalies in the injury prevention spot.  Stech got injured when he was hit blindside, that's on the league to prevent but they are f-ing stupid so oh well I guess.

It'd be great to have the Sedins back. Just not sure they would solve the injury problems we have since we've pretty much had it the entire time the Canucks have existed. Whatever happened to all that medical science and stuff Gillis employed? I think management just needs to start looking at medical side of our team and find ways to improve it. Maybe the team needs to be coached differently. But like I said some of these injuries aren't 100% preventable.

All in all just let the Sedins enjoy retirement. They dedicated almost 20 years of their lives to this team, city and Province. They earned some time away from the game to enjoy life with their families. 

Just for the record, my original post wasn't about the Sedins "solving" our injury issues. It was about bringing them on board to potentially "minimize" injuries by exploring what actually made them healthy for so long and to see if there is anything all that can be learned.

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

You would think that their presence all those year, other teammates would have imitate their routine, training schedule, workouts, etc....and still there were a plague of injury while they were here....I'm not sure how their presence as coaches/trainers/consultants would change any of that.

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Besides, from what I've heard, they stop by the training facility at the Rog regularly to hang and say hi so they probably already talk to some of the young guys anyway. For free.

I understand where both of you are coming from but there is another angle.

There's s huge difference between someone coming in on a casual, friendly basis, or being around someone, and actually hiring/paying someone to focus on one specific area to get results. 

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Lmao! this sums up an injury thread quite nicely :)

13 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

You know, I actually deleted a paragraph in my OP that addressed this. I think another team would actually benefit by hiring the Sedins in the capacity of my OP. It should be us!!

Should be, but I would never want to see what happened to Linden happen to the Sedins. 

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Well everyone has a shelf life in pro sports it seems, just the nature of the job you know when you take the job.

If the Sedins got hired into a management position on another team and got fired, then whatever, but if the Sedins got fired by the Canucks then that sucks. It's just the homer in me. 

The Sedins stayed as healthy as they did by avoiding contact and being spoon-fed mostly O-zone starts and prime powerplay minutes. Hard minutes and D-zone starts are something they rarely had to deal with. I dont believe their durability was ever really tested.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Just for the record, my original post wasn't about the Sedins "solving" our injury issues. It was about bringing them on board to potentially "minimize" injuries by exploring what actually made them healthy for so long and to see if there is anything all that can be learned.

Remember Henrik dropping to his knees on faceoffs because his back was so bad? I don't think it's so much they stayed injury free as it was they played despite injuries. A Sedin misses a game you know it's serious. During the '04 lockout Henrik even had the tip of his finger removed in Sweden because it was a faster recovery time than waiting for the broken bone to heal.

If was actually something to pass on, or teach, I'm sure they would have been doing that when they were playing.

Archived