The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An Important Role for the Sedins (which makes complete sense)?

Dr. Crossbar

I'd like to see their role as being "ambassadors" whose sole job is to woo coveted free agents to sign with the team.

Wine, dine, and shine...from two of the most respected and straight-shooting players in the league. Just might be the deciding factor for some to sign here.

First target: Erik Karlsson ::D

If the Canucks really wanted to do something like that then they would not have let the Sedins retire in the first place. I am sure if they did not retire, their numbers would not be too bad if they are playing third line minutes. Think Pettersson-Horvat-Henrik-Sutter and no signing of Beagle. 

29 minutes ago, smokes said:

Should be, but I would never want to see what happened to Linden happen to the Sedins. 

Well, I certainly don't see them as executives/management leadership material. Not yet anyway. Agree about not wanting to see them in a situation to be fired, but years ago I likely would have said the same thing about Linden. Comes with the territory though if you take an executive/management position post playing days.

In my op, I did say it wouldn't hurt to bring them on board for a year to actually see if there's something of greater value that would possible help in injury reduction. Who knows. If there's nothing to it, they walk away with their legacy intact. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, I certainly don't see them as executives/management leadership material. Not yet anyway. Agree about not wanting to see them in a situation to be fired, but years ago I likely would have said the same thing about Linden. Comes with the territory though if you take an executive/management position post playing days.

In my op, I did say it wouldn't hurt to bring them on board for a year to actually see if there's something of greater value that would possible help in injury reduction. Who knows. If there's nothing to it, they walk away with their legacy intact. 

I'd rather try to get Burrows. He wasn't injured much and he is still involved in the game. He played his heart out for us, then sacrificed to give us a top prospect. He is smart and knows the game. 

The Canucks have a staff of coaches and trainers. They don't need the Sedins to do that. I hear the Sedins drop in to Rogers once in a while to visit with the team etc. I'm sure they're always willing to share advice and help them out if they can. They're retired now, and loving it. Gone is the stress of the NHL. 

How is it possible to teach others how to cycle when you need two people to do it?  The Sedins are twins, they played together their whole lives.  They learned how to cycle and feed off each other since they were kids.  I highly doubt they can teach that to guys who are already in their 20's.

The Sedins may very well be a part of this organization again in the future.  But right now they are focused on raising their kids and spending as much time with their families.  I highly doubt they want to be a big part of this Canucks new rebuild at this time.  I'm sure they want Bo and Petey to make this team their own, just like Naslund and Bertuzzi passed the torch to the Sedins.

45 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Remember Henrik dropping to his knees on faceoffs because his back was so bad? I don't think it's so much they stayed injury free as it was they played despite injuries. A Sedin misses a game you know it's serious. During the '04 lockout Henrik even had the tip of his finger removed in Sweden because it was a faster recovery time than waiting for the broken bone to heal.

If was actually something to pass on, or teach, I'm sure they would have been doing that when they were playing.

I did think about that when writing but really looked at it from the numbers of multiple 80+/70+ seasons. And I agree with you about them playing through many injuries but they also played so long that it was more acceptable to do that than in recent years. 

I'm sure they did pass things along, certainly leading by example/approach. If there were transferrable things to learn when they were playing in relation to injury reduction, I'd suggest there are also things to learn now that they're not playing. Perhaps things they didn't realize themselves until they stopped playing.

By no means do I think there's nothing left to learn from them in this regard. I think there's possibly more to learn that remains unknown. Why not put it under the microscope and see?

9 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

The Sedins stayed as healthy as they did by avoiding contact and being spoon-fed mostly O-zone starts and prime powerplay minutes. Hard minutes and D-zone starts are something they rarely had to deal with. I dont believe their durability was ever really tested.

Did you watch their board battles in the O-zone? Never saw them around the net? They didn't have to deal with the best checkers/defenders in the league either right?

Listen to the Shane Doan interview about the Sedins.  

1 hour ago, Riviera82 said:

The Sedins stayed as healthy as they did by avoiding contact and being spoon-fed mostly O-zone starts and prime powerplay minutes. Hard minutes and D-zone starts are something they rarely had to deal with. I dont believe their durability was ever really tested.

Yeah, I guess they never had to face the opposing teams best defence men and checking lines in the O-zone either.  

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I get what you're saying. I do like that he came in and put their durability to the test and challenged them. At the time, we needed a radical change from the soft, stale country-club culture (the perceptions at least). I get his approach from a need for radical change and seeing who sinks and swims. I just think it was way too much, too quick.

I asked the original question because the Sedins themselves have always admitted their respect and value for Torts while he was here. And with Torts, that respect or value was reciprocal.

My  criticisms of Tortorella don't really have anything to do with expecting players to play hard - imo that should be a given with any coach - my issues with his coaching efforts here come down to the misfit systems he employed - from an overly aggressive 2-2-1 forecheck (which this team didn't really have the horses for) - to the zone collapses he loves to employ (again, I don't think we had the right types of players - and particularly forwards) - to his tendency to ride three lines and his key players (which is in part why his teams tend to fade in the 2nd half of seasons).  I also did not appreciate him beaking about how 'old, stale and declining' the core was:  whatever the truth of that, he should shut his yap and get to enhancing those player values - make them more tradeable - by utilizing them to their strengths and making them more attractive assets.....What did he do instead?  Employ a cookie-cutter misfit approach, drive the team into a lottery pick position, beak about how inadequate his core was, and throw his GM under the bus.   And don't get me wrong - I'm not a hater of Tortorella - I'm simply not walking on eggshells where he is concerned - he's not exactly a guy to bite his lip - and wadr to him - he did a really shizz job here and deserved to be called out for it.   To his credit he owned the fact that he deserved to be fired.  His coaching style is suitable for a very young group imo - one that can recover rapidly from his style of riding key players - one that will put up with the ballbusting.   To the Sedins credit they saw the positives (and would probably never comment publicly otherwise) - and there are some with Tortorella imo - but he was a really poor option for this club at that time and probably set them back another year in terms of needing to recover any value out of the lot of guys who had career worst years.

Interesting start of an idea.  I kind of feel like that sounds a little low on the corporate totem pole for the soon to be Hall of Famers, but I could see something like a special mentor / advisor role where maybe every month or so they come in and mentor in some aspect of the game in which they have expertise, so like you said, fitness and durability could be one of them, next time around the cycle, next time around Henrik on passing, next time around Daniel on shooting.

Maybe for April Fool's day they come in and teach everyone how to do the shootout.

I chalk up injuries to what a player plays like , kind of a live by the sword , die by the sword deal , only the highest percentage of injuries fall on the players in the highest risk. 

A star player is usually not causing havoc and blocking shots so lower percentage of getting hurt unless it’s a blatant cheap shot or freak injury. However , a guy who runs around plastering everthing in an opponents jersey  is eventually going to be neutralized with extreme force. Then there’s the shot blockers , they don’t have pads everywhere. Fast skating defensive forwards tend to have bad spills from time to time, the real wild card is playing against truly dirty players like Marchand.

The Sedins never looked for trouble, and they were non violent ; low percentage of injury.

A whole team of Sedin type players just wouldn’t work though there has to be a balance of toughness.

I remember what an absolute wrecking ball Lindros was at the front half of his career, teams remember that and take numbers. He may have brought injury upon himself.  

Hence the sword analogy.

34 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I chalk up injuries to what a player plays like , kind of a live by the sword , die by the sword deal , only the highest percentage of injuries fall on the players in the highest risk. 

A star player is usually not causing havoc and blocking shots so lower percentage of getting hurt unless it’s a blatant cheap shot or freak injury. However , a guy who runs around plastering everthing in an opponents jersey  is eventually going to be neutralized with extreme force. Then there’s the shot blockers , they don’t have pads everywhere. Fast skating defensive forwards tend to have bad spills from time to time, the real wild card is playing against truly dirty players like Marchand.

The Sedins never looked for trouble, and they were non violent ; low percentage of injury.

A whole team of Sedin type players just wouldn’t work though there has to be a balance of toughness.

I remember what an absolute wrecking ball Lindros was at the front half of his career, teams remember that and take numbers. He may have brought injury upon himself.  

Hence the sword analogy.

Your right more complete players such as Crosby find themselves in more riskier situations.  Whether its fighting, or driving hard to the net, or laying big body checks to make a play, the body is going to be injured more often.

Its like using racing cars as an analogy. What's more dangerous, driving a car in the indy 500 or driving your sedan on a quiet rural road? Think Bure skating full tilt all the time, eventually he is going to hit something at a very high speed.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How is it possible to teach others how to cycle when you need two people to do it?  The Sedins are twins, they played together their whole lives.  They learned how to cycle and feed off each other since they were kids.  I highly doubt they can teach that to guys who are already in their 20's.

The Sedins may very well be a part of this organization again in the future.  But right now they are focused on raising their kids and spending as much time with their families.  I highly doubt they want to be a big part of this Canucks new rebuild at this time.  I'm sure they want Bo and Petey to make this team their own, just like Naslund and Bertuzzi passed the torch to the Sedins.

I'm not looking at it from the place of teaching what can't be taught. You can't teach that unique intuitiveness as twins or duplicate their individually unique skill/talent. I'm also not saying their cycle game is the sole reason for their longevity either. I think there's more to it and a combo of factors - some that can't be taught but other factors that can be transferrable. 

The conventional thought is that the Sedins were so good/talented at their game as the reasoning for their longevity. Shane Doan even said that in the previously posted clip. I'm not in any way saying that's not true.

I'm simply challenging convention to say there may be more to their longevity and approach to injury/recovery than what we already believe. Things that may help to reduce certain types of injuries. 

We can certainly keep doing the same things. If there's no value in it, so be it. I think there's something there worth exploring. 

On 2/14/2019 at 11:04 AM, smokes said:

I'd rather try to get Burrows. He wasn't injured much and he is still involved in the game. He played his heart out for us, then sacrificed to give us a top prospect. He is smart and knows the game. 

I bet anything he could run the power play better than existing coaches and produce good results.

Archived