The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have TWO Second Line Centers... Horvat and Gaudette

*Buzzsaw*

Tonight was Adam Gaudette's 'I'm gonna show you my stuff' party...  he showed what his potential ceiling is.

Great hustle, great playmaking, great shooting.

The stay in Utica and playing on the first line there has done a world of good for his confidence and offensive instincts.

What we are seeing is a player who is a clinch to be the Canuck's 3rd line center... but I'm betting he can be a player who can score and put up points like a 2nd line center.

I am not a guy who has dissed Sutter at any point, I think he is a valuable hockey player... but right now Gaudette is showing the team Sutter could be traded this summer.  Keep Beagle, he is the ideal 4th line center.  Maybe we can get a good scoring winger for Sutter.

Another tip of the hat to Jim Benning... yeah he slipped on a banana a bit with the goalie situation in the last week, but overall you have to like his instincts for picking winners in the draft.

And Gaudette is a winner... he will be playing for the Canucks for a long time.

With Gaudette showing what he can do, the Canucks are looking to be one the strongest teams in the league in the center position in the next few years... which is HUGE.

This got weird quickly.

Yes, Gaudette had a great night, and regardless of scoring he's going to be a guy that gives us his best effort every night. Sutter has had injuries ever since we acquired him, it's unfortunate. 

I think putting Horvat/Gaudette in the same conversation is a little unfair to Horvat, who has developed nicely and worked his tail off. 

We have a lot to look forward to as Canucks fans. Have some depth in Utica and every college prospect is an x-factor that could contribute on the main club. 

52 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

This got weird quickly.

Yes, Gaudette had a great night, and regardless of scoring he's going to be a guy that gives us his best effort every night. Sutter has had injuries ever since we acquired him, it's unfortunate. 

I think putting Horvat/Gaudette in the same conversation is a little unfair to Horvat, who has developed nicely and worked his tail off. 

We have a lot to look forward to as Canucks fans. Have some depth in Utica and every college prospect is an x-factor that could contribute on the main club. 

Gaudette is not nearly the player Horvat is... I'm not saying that. 

What I am saying is Gaudette will be more than 3rd line center... he is likely to be a 2b, like Horvat is a 1b.

5 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Gaudette is not nearly the player Horvat is... I'm not saying that. 

What I am saying is Gaudette will be more than 3rd line center... he is likely to be a 2b, like Horvat is a 1b.

I'd agree he's not Bo's calibre YET.. However with experience i bet he will be, he was here on his first stint learning more about defense first exactly like Bo but you don't win the hb award by being a slouch. I have confidence in him that he will be great replacement if Bo gets injured and wouldn't miss a beat.

Will that be this year or next? Probably not but it will happen!

I like the approach Green took with Jake.  first establish yourself as an every day NHL player then worry about where you are going to play in the lineup.

Same sort of thing happening with Gaudette.  Better hockey IQ than Jake though doesn't have the same level of physical skills.

Nice problem to have, depth at centre and one I don't think the Canucks have ever had.

4 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Tonight was Adam Gaudette's 'I'm gonna show you my stuff' party...  he showed what his potential ceiling is.

Great hustle, great playmaking, great shooting.

The stay in Utica and playing on the first line there has done a world of good for his confidence and offensive instincts.

What we are seeing is a player who is a clinch to be the Canuck's 3rd line center... but I'm betting he can be a player who can score and put up points like a 2nd line center.

I am not a guy who has dissed Sutter at any point, I think he is a valuable hockey player... but right now Gaudette is showing the team Sutter could be traded this summer.  Keep Beagle, he is the ideal 4th line center.  Maybe we can get a good scoring winger for Sutter.

Another tip of the hat to Jim Benning... yeah he slipped on a banana a bit with the goalie situation in the last week, but overall you have to like his instincts for picking winners in the draft.

And Gaudette is a winner... he will be playing for the Canucks for a long time.

With Gaudette showing what he can do, the Canucks are looking to be one the strongest teams in the league in the center position in the next few years... which is HUGE.

Can we take a breath please...Yes, Gaudette is showing a lot of promise, but he doesn't even have half a season under his belt and we're already clearing the room for him?  Hasn't our history of injury thought us anything.  Depth is good, competition is good.

Keep Sutter, he has proven in the past he can be a good RW, on any line... and next training camp I'm pinning Sutter against Gaudette to earn that 3C spot.  If Gaudette deserves it, flank Sutter on his RW.    First, you would have a backup if any of EP, Horvat, Gaudette or Beagle gets injured, without jeopardizing the strenght of our center line.   Second,  that 3rd line could become a hard line to play against, with scoring ability.  Third, if we flank Eriksson on that line, it would be a responsible one and could actually maybe get him going and get a little better return on our investment.  Him and Sutter could be excellent mentor for Gaudette.  Finally, nobody is going to trade a quality scoring winger for Sutter. 

The irony is prior to playing in Vancouver Sutter hardly ever got injured. 

Once again, I am questioning the Canucks medical staff, and trainers. Because the usual grocery list of injuries each year, should trigger someone looking into this. 

Teams like San Jose, LA, and Arizona has just as much travel. Do they have the same level of injuries we get? 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Nice problem to have, depth at centre and one I don't think the Canucks have ever had.

At one point we had a Hart trophy winner at 1C, the Selke winner at 2C, a very effective 3C in pre-injury Manny Malhotra, and our top 2 prospects played center (Hodgson & Schroeder).

It's amazing how fast injuries (Manny's eye and Cody's back), a failed prospect, and age-related decline tore it apart.

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Once again, I am questioning the Canucks medical staff, and trainers. Because the usual grocery list of injuries each year, should trigger someone looking into this. 

Teams like San Jose, LA, and Arizona has just as much travel. Do they have the same level of injuries we get? 

One thing of note with Sutter is that a groin issue, which I know first hand, never really goes away. It’s probably going to linger for the duration of his career kind of like it did with Sami Salo. 

58 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Its not just the total travel miles but the type of travel vs games they're dealt which imo has WAY more impact on potential injury issues. 

I wish I could find a better source for this graph but it still conveys the issue - the league screwed us yet again in the scheduling despite the recent suggestion in sports media that we have an easier schedule since the all-star break.  We play way more rested teams and play teams after we have little rest than any other team.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-18-19-schedule-tired-rested-games.2516113/

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

At one point we had a Hart trophy winner at 1C, the Selke winner at 2C, a very effective 3C in pre-injury Manny Malhotra, and our top 2 prospects played center (Hodgson & Schroeder).

It's amazing how fast injuries (Manny's eye and Cody's back), a failed prospect, and age-related decline tore it apart.

Almost won a cup with that though :)

It's definitely nice to have the centre depth. I wouldn't say that Gaudette is ready to be penciled in at 3C next season, but he's definitely making a statement with his recent call ups. If he continues to develop, we're going to have a very solid centre core with Petey, Horvat, Gaudette, and Beagle.

If you look at the last few Stanley Cup winners, you'll notice a trend in strong centre cores:

Washington, 2018: Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eller, Beagle

Pittsburgh, 2017: Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, Sheahan

Pittsburgh, 2016: Crosby, Malkin, Bonino, Cullen

Chicago, 2015: Toews, Richardson, Vermette, Kruger

LA, 2014: Kopitar, Carter, Stoll, Richards

Chicago, 2013: Toews, Pirri, Bolland, Kruger

LA, 2012: Kopitar, Carter, Stoll, Richards

Boston, 2011: Krecji, Bergeron, Peverly, Kelly

Definitely optimistic about Gaudette's potential. Hoping he can squeeze Sutter out next season, though that means we're going to need more centre prospects. The only one we have of note is Madden, so hopefully that's addressed at this year's draft.

6 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

This got weird quickly.

No kidding

It's one &^@#ing game. Horvat took years to show he belonged

Archived