The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: Playoffs or Lotto Pick

Seannnp

Playoffs or Lotto Pick   

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Funny how we were supposed to be the last place team with no hope of the playoffs and unable to win with Danny and Hank leaving. The reason for the optimism is the play of the young players who are leading the team.

3 wins is a huge improvement and perhaps seeing the last of the real contenders except for the one game against Calgary left on our schedule may be reason to think our win total might just go up quite a bit.

Really i see you as a glass half empty kinda guy.

When looking at the standings other teams and their performance has to be considered. Look at the bottom third in the standings as a lower tier, sort of "B" level, in that context the team shows improvement but other teams show vast decline or outright failure.

The league/conference was stronger last year needing 95 points for the last wild card, this year it looks like maybe as low as 82 points, that shows a massive decline in competitiveness.

Last of the contenders? For a playoff spot? Islanders, Flames, SJ ….. and all the teams close to the Nucks still vying for a playoff spot or to look good for ticket sales next year. Do you really think Markstrom will run the table?

The win total will go up for sure, maybe even in the standings vs this sad sack group but the improvement will not be as great as it appears.

Sedins playing 20+ minutes and now the same, a one line team.

And no, the glass is filling but it needs more to get filled.::D

What I would like to see is by the trade deadline they are either right out of it a play-off spot or in a solid play-off position, otherwise JB will just stay pat with what he has and make no trades. I am afraid he will either make no moves at the trade deadline or bring in some over the hill. over priced player just to try and make a play-off run by trading away an asset. 

I don't care this year.  A top three is a long shot but as we have seen anyone who misses the playoffs can move into top three. I just want them to keep their picks for this year and moving forward. Adding through the draft should never change no matter where we are in the standings. 

I think they will be selecting around 12th. 

I dont see us falling much more then the 6 spot. We need one more good draft. I would be over the moon, if we landed Byram, Boldy or Turcotte. I would be even happier if we snuck in for a top 2 picks and snagged either Hughes or Kakko.That would be a great start to a very important offseason for this franchise. 

My top 10 right now: 

Hughes 

Kakko 

Byram

Boldy

Podkolzin

Turcotte

Cozens 

Zegras 

Newhook

Soderstrom

7 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

When looking at the standings other teams and their performance has to be considered. Look at the bottom third in the standings as a lower tier, sort of "B" level, in that context the team shows improvement but other teams show vast decline or outright failure.

The league/conference was stronger last year needing 95 points for the last wild card, this year it looks like maybe as low as 82 points, that shows a massive decline in competitiveness.

Last of the contenders? For a playoff spot? Islanders, Flames, SJ ….. and all the teams close to the Nucks still vying for a playoff spot or to look good for ticket sales next year. Do you really think Markstrom will run the table?

The win total will go up for sure, maybe even in the standings vs this sad sack group but the improvement will not be as great as it appears.

Sedins playing 20+ minutes and now the same, a one line team.

And no, the glass is filling but it needs more to get filled.::D

The West is more about a massive settlement into mediocrity or vanilla then it is about a decline....the punching bags are moving up, and the old guard is moving down and there isn’t much difference in the competitiveness other then that (and some teams like TO have feasted on the West)...CHI and LA are moving up now while others are moving down or staying pat.  

On 2/15/2019 at 2:44 PM, kanucks25 said:

I'd love to make the playoffs even if we'd get bounced in 4 or 5 games, but if you were guaranteeing me a top-3 pick, this is a no-brainer.

However the more difficult question is playoffs vs. a small chance at a top-3, which we will have if miss the playoffs. Logic says take that small chance at a top-3 pick because no matter how small it is, it's still probably larger than the chance we have at making a miracle run in the playoffs.

This is of course, doesn't take into account the "intangible" benefits of a young team gaining playoff experience.

Given we don't have much to buy or sell at the deadline, let the chips fall where they may.

This is team playoffs fallacy. We have tons of stuff to sell and depreciating assets. Only untouchables are Horvat and younger. Rest should be available. Should always go based on value and getting bounced in a first round sweep really isn’t going to add much more value to our 1st round win next season. 

The guaranteed at worst the 4th overall pick is much more valuable. That’s at least cozens or the Russian or the Swedish defensman. 

Definitely should be gunning for Ottawa’s current spot.

Our young players are going to play as hard as they can. If that means we make the playoffs we should be happy for them, enjoy the show and trust our mid-1st round pick will be a decent one. We've had good picks there lately.

If we play hard, but injuries drag us down and we pick 6th or something..that's fine too. This was always going to be a transition year.

I honestly don't care either way.

If those were the two options, I'd take a top 3 pick. However, it's far more likely that we pick between 8 and 15, should we miss the playoffs. I'd rather the team get some experience in the post season and pick in the 17 to 25 range than miss and pick 12th.

Edler, tanev, sutter, gudbranson, and Hutton could have netted us some good stuff. Even Markstrom. Too late now though. Now all they will get us during their stay here is 9th in west.

Rather than the juicy valuable picks and prospects in a draft hosting year we could have gotten for them. Sigh....

I doubt we will get a top 3 pick with our position and mostly our luck but I would be happy if we finish with a top 10 pick. Would be even happier if we landed another 1st round pick but doubt we have anything to give to get it.

This team still is ways away from competing. Need to utilize the higher picks. 

The problem right now is that the teams ahead of us keep crapping the bed. It keeps our hopes alive. Management won't give up until it is written in stone.

I hope Spooner can get things going here. He could be a good fit with Bo.  It would allow Benning to make a deal or two albeit small ones.

Jim knows Spooner from Boston. 

8 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Edler, tanev, sutter, gudbranson, and Hutton could have netted us some good stuff. Even Markstrom. Too late now though. Now all they will get us during their stay here is 9th in west.

Rather than the juicy valuable picks and prospects in a draft hosting year we could have gotten for them. Sigh....

Edler as we know isnt going anywhere

Tanev is hurt , AGAIN , and not likely to garner any juicy picks

Sutter is a management favorite, not likely to be moved

Gudbranson isnt likely to be wanted by most teams

Hutton is having a bounce back year and as a young defense man why would you trade him? Personal Choice?

What about any of the other potential pieces? Goldobin? Stecher? Schaller?

The reality of our situation is that we still do not have Assets to trade for picks. Each year at this time people say why doesnt Benning trade all the old guys for 1st round picks? It doesnt happen because other teams do not see the players mentioned as value for their first round or even second round picks. Certainly if Colorado phone JB and said hey we will give you Ottawas first pick for Biega, he would take it. Thats not reality. Rental do not push you over the top for a cup and most teams are not going to give you a 1st rounder for Edler. Tanev might be the one asset we can trade for a pick and more than likely it would be a second rounder. Thats it. If JB could move Goldobin for any pick even a 7th rounder id take it. More than likely we do not add anything at the TDL.

It all depends on the lottery result....because so far, the Canucks haven't been lucky with the lottery and have moved down rather than up in the draft position.

with their luck, they will probably move down again...

If they are 14, 15 place, then a run at making the playoffs would be good experience and they may end up picking 16th, which is 1 or 2 picks lower with the experience of the playoffs and a chance to knock off the Sharks or the Flames...if this is the case, I would say let's make the playoffs because moving down in the lottery will require a lot of luck....good luck, which the Canucks do not have.

2 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Edler as we know isnt going anywhere

Tanev is hurt , AGAIN , and not likely to garner any juicy picks

Sutter is a management favorite, not likely to be moved

Gudbranson isnt likely to be wanted by most teams

Hutton is having a bounce back year and as a young defense man why would you trade him? Personal Choice?

What about any of the other potential pieces? Goldobin? Stecher? Schaller?

The reality of our situation is that we still do not have Assets to trade for picks. Each year at this time people say why doesnt Benning trade all the old guys for 1st round picks? It doesnt happen because other teams do not see the players mentioned as value for their first round or even second round picks. Certainly if Colorado phone JB and said hey we will give you Ottawas first pick for Biega, he would take it. Thats not reality. Rental do not push you over the top for a cup and most teams are not going to give you a 1st rounder for Edler. Tanev might be the one asset we can trade for a pick and more than likely it would be a second rounder. Thats it. If JB could move Goldobin for any pick even a 7th rounder id take it. More than likely we do not add anything at the TDL.

Quality for quality. Can't make wine with potatoes.

The future has to be considered and upgrades require decent quality and quantity.

Benning has done absolutely nothing to speed up a rebuild, not one thing. Most of this group will/should not be on the team in 3 years but Benning could easily extend this rebuild until Horvat is 27 by doing exactly what he is doing now, nothing. What has he done that has speeded up the rebuild? What extra players of the skill level of the top three kid forwards? Sven is a 13 goal a year guy and 26 with issues.

The silver lining, because he has done nothing improvement is very slow and them team gets better lottery odds for the next two drafts and thenhis contract runs out so the new guy comes in with a warehouse of too many prospects as assets for trades, probably 6 top ten draft picks and vets to trade for players and a mess in the contract/cap department, handcuffed by 8 clause contracts.

But the next two drafts are critical.

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Would Van/Ottawa trade Brady Tkachuk for Horvat?

Is this a hockey trade? 

I asked it in another thread, but this might be a better one. 

Flame away. 

It’s a painful thought to trade Bo.  I think we would only consider trading Bo if we got Jack Hughes.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s a painful thought to trade Bo.  I think we would only consider trading Bo if we got Jack Hughes.  

Trading Horvat is way outside the scope or comfort of my pea brain. 

However, might BT align better with the future core of this team? 

Nobody needs convincing of Horvats worth to this team, especially the rebuild-era fans. He is this team’s heart. 

I doubt anybody has seriously considered trading him, let alone for another rookie.

IMO, BT is exactly what EP40 needs in a winger and exactly the kind of identity the Canucks should be looking to attain. He’s the right age in the way that he fits in with the new core and plays a playoff style that very few others have. 

I’m not advocating trading Horvat. It scares the heck out of me, but is BT projecting to be an upgrade on Bo? With Gaudette in the mix, maybe this is worth discussing... well until my coffee high wears off.   

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Trading Horvat is way outside the scope or comfort of my pea brain. 

However, might BT align better with the future core of this team? 

Nobody needs convincing of Horvats worth to this team, especially the rebuild-era fans. He is this team’s heart. 

I doubt anybody has seriously considered trading him, let alone for another rookie.

IMO, BT is exactly what EP40 needs in a winger and exactly the kind of identity the Canucks should be looking to attain. He’s the right age in the way that he fits in with the new core and plays a playoff style that very few others have. 

I’m not advocating trading Horvat. It scares the heck out of me, but is BT projecting to be an upgrade on Bo? With Gaudette in the mix, maybe this is worth discussing... well until my coffee high wears off.   

I see 4 guys we don’t trade: Bo, Petey, Bess, and Quinn.  If we got Jack Hughes, I would then consider trading Bo.  

Archived