The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drone incidents (Merged, keep them in here)

aeromotacanucks

https://bit.ly/2SCgNNO

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-37493404

1st Gatwick, then Heathrow...

And now the Hub of middle east is screwed because of stupid punks...

How long until things get really screwed?

It's time to STOP THIS MADNESS once for all!

Want fly your drone that's super STAY OUT OF OUR AIRSPACE!

That means OUTSIDE AIRPORTS, OUTSIDE DESIGNATED AIRSPACE, AIRWAYS ATC

BELLOW 500FT AGL. end of story!

16 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

its only the beginning...the tech is moving so fast, laws cant keep up.    

its up to the manufacturers to make them unable to fly in certain areas and at certain heights.

Wait until the FAA get angry and basically say "create a built in limitation or you will not be allowed to sell your drone in USA"

In 12hrs it will change

4 minutes ago, aeromotacanucks said:

Wait until the FAA get angry and basically say "create a built in limitation or you will not be allowed to sell your drone in USA"

In 12hrs it will change

18 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

its up to the manufacturers to make them unable to fly in certain areas and at certain heights.

Rather forcing limitations that can easily be modified by bad actors, make people register their drones and have their information stored in an onboard rfid chip.  You sell the drone, you pull the chip and the person who buys it puts one of theirs in.  You get caught flying a drone without a properly ID'd chip, you pay a heavy fine.

It's not a perfect solution, but it will at least cut down on instances of stupidity and recklessness especially around passenger aircraft. 

49 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

Yep.

What happens when the wrong folk get their hands on micro drones or drone swarms etc...? I hear the military are well into development.

And, even smaller...If IBM can produce a movie starring single atoms ( and that came out ages ago) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSCX78-8-q0 .... imagine the implications of microscopic machines/weapons...The ideas they have for medicine are amazing, reminds me of Fantastic Voyage or Inner Space movies  except now they realise they don't need to shrink a pilot..... but just think of the bad things that could be done with machines you cannot see.  :sadno:

46 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Rather forcing limitations that can easily be modified by bad actors, make people register their drones and have their information stored in an onboard rfid chip.  You sell the drone, you pull the chip and the person who buys it puts one of theirs in.  You get caught flying a drone without a properly ID'd chip, you pay a heavy fine.

It's not a perfect solution, but it will at least cut down on instances of stupidity and recklessness especially around passenger aircraft. 

That's actually a very good idea. Like a cellphone chip?

1 hour ago, aeromotacanucks said:

That's actually a very good idea. Like a cellphone chip?

Low power radio frequency chip like you have in a credit card, inventory system, animal tracking, etc.  If you want something active and longer range then you'd have to go GPS ID, but that's only feasible in the more expensive models that can actually fly high enough into the air. 

RFID chips are cheap enough that you can use them from the cheapest to the most expensive models.

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Low power radio frequency chip like you have in a credit card, inventory system, animal tracking, etc.  If you want something active and longer range then you'd have to go GPS ID, but that's only feasible in the more expensive models that can actually fly high enough into the air. 

RFID chips are cheap enough that you can use them from the cheapest to the most expensive models.

What would prevent bad actors from messing with this plan too?

They need tech, if not already figured out, to track the "pilot", confiscate the drone and punish the hell outta these clowns.

8 hours ago, Kragar said:

They need tech, if not already figured out, to track the "pilot", confiscate the drone and punish the hell outta these clowns.

You can mess with anything they can do with what's basically a tiny quad-copter.  There's no perfect solution.  However if someone's name is attached to the device they are less likely to fly it where they shouldn't.  If they are caught using a counterfeit chip?  Fine them and confiscate their expensive drone.  If they're caught again, remove their drone pilot's licence, fine them and confiscate their second expensive drone.  Still flying after that.  Keep taking their drones and keep raising their fines.  Eventually they'll stop.

13 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

9 hours ago, Kragar said:

I think we should get Raytheon to develop mini patriot system so we can shoot down the drones.

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

You can mess with anything they can do with what's basically a tiny quad-copter.  There's no perfect solution.  However if someone's name is attached to the device they are less likely to fly it where they shouldn't.  If they are caught using a counterfeit chip?  Fine them and confiscate their expensive drone.  If they're caught again, remove their drone pilot's licence, fine them and confiscate their second expensive drone.  Still flying after that.  Keep taking their drones and keep raising their fines.  Eventually they'll stop.

Agreed, although I would accelerate that punishment path. This garbage with the airports is insane.  IMO, if it involves an airport or impacts air travel, it deserves a two-strike rule: first offense a heavy fine, second time a lengthy stay in some remote low-security facility

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

I think we should get Raytheon to develop mini patriot system so we can shoot down the drones.

Why?  Our allies love to waste the U.S.'s money and use full size Patriot Missiles that cost millions of dollars each.  The latest country being Israel.

https://www.upi.com/Israel-shoots-down-Syrian-drone-with-Patriot-missile/8191531318490/

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

Agreed, although I would accelerate that punishment path. This garbage with the airports is insane.  IMO, if it involves an airport or impacts air travel, it deserves a two-strike rule: first offense a heavy fine, second time a lengthy stay in some remote low-security facility

I prefer jail time being used as a last resort.  If the person is actually reckless enough and actually hits a plane with a drone, there are plenty of other laws already on the books that would garner him jail time.

If we were to just jail people for being stupid, half of the population would constantly be cycling in and out of prisons.

49 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I prefer jail time being used as a last resort.  If the person is actually reckless enough and actually hits a plane with a drone, there are plenty of other laws already on the books that would garner him jail time.

If we were to just jail people for being stupid, half of the population would constantly be cycling in and out of prisons.

True. If we could consistently get a judge to order strong, and perhaps embarrassing community service, I'd go with that instead.  There's just too many instances of light punishment, IMO.  That's more of an issue up north (no idea if Britain is similar in that regard) but I could see people down here getting off too easily as well.

Just in case my use of the word "impact" led you to think of hitting the plane, it was more involving having an effect on air travel.  there is no excuse for what has gone on in London and now Dubai.

Just now, Kragar said:

True. If we could consistently get a judge to order strong, and perhaps embarrassing community service, I'd go with that instead.  There's just too many instances of light punishment, IMO.  That's more of an issue up north (no idea if Britain is similar in that regard) but I could see people down here getting off too easily as well.

Just in case my use of the word "impact" led you to think of hitting the plane, it was more involving having an effect on air travel.  there is no excuse for what has gone on in London and now Dubai.

I think if they follow through with it, Canada has it right by setting fines that can go up to $5,000.  You want to hurt an individual for being stupid and not have it cost the rest of society, hit them in the pocketbook. 

No, I didn't think you meant hitting a plane.  I just went worst case scenario to illustrate my point of when prison time could be on the table.

Not sure how regulations would work... since it only target those who are more law abiding.  

People out to create mischief will find a way.  Drones purchased through untraceable means (2nd hand, with cash, etc), RFID chips could easily be altered, and I don't know the tech but its probably eventually (if not already), some drones could be flown by cellphones.  So the authorities looking for someone using a cellphone.... good luck with finding the perpetrator.  Plus what if it's someone else borrows/steals your drone.... and they track down the ID of the drone, but not the individual.... when the airport/police/politicians wants blood and they only have your details, good luck proving your innocence or protecting your reputation.  

My solution would be having hunter drones equip with birdshot ammo that just blasts drones that are flying in a restricted area.  

Archived