The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could Jim Benning pull a Brian Burke?

Zigmund.Palffy

This got me thinking a little bit, ever since Brian Burke made that insane trade to draft the Sedin Twins number 2 and 3 overall in ‘99 draft and With the chances of us getting Jack Hughes are slim, could Jim Benning trade assets to get the 1st overall pick to draft Jack Hughes and re-unite him with brother Quinn?

what would be the assets that could be traded or should the canucks stay put?

Burke had to deal the 4th overall pick and two 3rds to get the first overall pick. 

That means we have to get "lucky" in the lottery (assuming we're even in the lottery) before having any hopes of getting that #1 overall (ie., you need a high pick PLUS other stuff to get them to move, which they might not anyways).  

Too early to tell on this. If miracles happen, and we get a top 3 pick, then trading up to the #1 will be less costly in terms of players and/or draft picks. But, say we end up where I think we will...about 14th overall. Then, to get the #1, I would say:

This year's #1...next year's #1...Joulevi...Virtanen...and one of this or next year's 3rd rounder. This would be at a minimum, and I may (easily) be short changing it.

Honestly, as good as Jack Hughes promises to be, he is superfluous, what with the emergence of Petersson. I'd rather go for Bowen Byram, if we are looking at a trade up. Get the D fixed, now. There are too many weaknesses on the back end, whether it be by lack of skill, age or both. Of the current top six, only three should be here two years from now: Edler, Hutton and Stetch...and the Hutton/Stetch pairing would be a 3rd pairing on top end teams. Tanev appears to be losing it, some. Guddy...enough said. Poulliott...again, enough said.

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Burke had to deal the 4th overall pick and two 3rds to get the first overall pick. 

That means we have to get "lucky" in the lottery (assuming we're even in the lottery) before having any hopes of getting that #1 overall (ie., you need a high pick PLUS other stuff to get them to move, which they might not anyways).  

Only got that high pick with trading McCabe.  On the other hand the value of a 1st overall pick is significantly higher now than it was in the late 90s early 00s.  To get the 1st OA pick you’d have to be trading one of Hughes, Boeser, Horvat and then add to it.  Not going to happen

11 minutes ago, Jaku said:

The price tag would be insane. I would suspect it would involve Bo or Brock or Elias also. 

Elias is worth a lot more than 1OA. Brock Or Bo are better starting points, but it would more likely be something a long the lines of

1st 2nd 3rd Gaudette

1st overall picks in today's NHL are worth far more than in Burke's day, and 4th overall pick and two thirds isn't actually too bad in value. Hell it costs more in EA games to move up from 4th overall to 1st overall. Lol. Trading for that pick would cost us our first and Petey, Boeser or Hughes. At that point what we are getting isn't worth what we are losing. Top 10 picks don't get moved that often anymore. Top 3 even less so. 

6 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Elias is worth a lot more than 1OA. Brock Or Bo are better starting points, but it would more likely be something a long the lines of

1st 2nd 3rd Gaudette

No GM is trading the first overall for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a 23 year old (will be 23 at the start of next season) bottom 6 center that may, if things go well, be a decent 2nd line center. Even in the games the computer would laugh in your face.

18 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't think they Hughes/Hughes combination would be anywhere near as effective as the Sedin's were for over a decade.   I'd be leary of the price it would cost to acquire that draft spot. 

It’s going to be Kakko going 1st anyways. 

Is he the next Jack E or is he a Barkov? 

And what are they worth in trade? 

Nobody trades away that player. 

Archived