The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Gagner traded to Oilers for Ryan Spooner

Tiger-Hearted

^

V

ancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has acquired centre Ryan Spooner from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for Sam Gagner. As part of the transaction, the New York Rangers will continue to retain 22.5% of his salary.

Spooner, 27, split the 2018.19 season between the New York Rangers, Edmonton Oilers and Bakersfield Condors. He accumulated two points (1-1-2) in 16 games with the Rangers, three points (2-1-3) in 25 games with the Oilers and six points (2-4-6) in seven games with the Condors. Over the span of his career, Spooner has collected 163 NHL points (48-115-163) in 314 games.

The Ottawa, Ontario native was originally drafted by the Boston Bruins in the second round, 45th overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

I'm glad to see Gagner getting moved to a team where he'll have the opportunity to play in the NHL again. I liked his play last season as a member of the Canucks and was surprised to see him demoted to the minors this year.

Apparently this is an unpopular opinion on this forum as I was absolutely flamed when I suggested the Canucks recall Gagner in a GDT a week or two ago. 

I don't know anything about Spooner except that it looks like he put up some decent numbers with Boston a few seasons ago. It will be interesting to see if the coaching staff sends him to the minors or if they'll put him in the lineup and send Gaudette back down. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Now the Canucks can trade for Stone and Stoner...and it could go something like this...

Spooner to Stoner to stone, or is it

Stoner to Spooner to Stone, or

Stone to Spooner to Stoner... what comes first?

....too bad Stoner doesn't play forward, could call it the BC Bud line.

...good for Gagner...he fits well with the Oiler model

Archived