The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

There's No Conspiracy Against the Canucks/Mantha's Dirty Hit

Dazzle

It was more of a two handed punch to the back of the head, and he was standing still not skating.   Giroux was off balance because he was getting up himself after a poor attempt at a hit (which was sort of from behind)  

Would have been OK with 2 minutes -- don't like the punch to the back of the head, but nothing more. 

2 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

And read the Colin Campbell leaked emails....he exerted influence due to calls against his son. 

Fringe benefits of commanding an influential role in the entertainment industry.

Its show biz, what should we expect? 

Let’s be real, we need our own Russel Crowe here, yelling to the crowd, asking them if they are entertained...!

We used to have that here, especially in the late 80s through the 90s. We need to get it back. 

203401B8-1F61-4731-8359-8A75FE09382F.thumb.jpeg.5615bffd2f10796fa9cc51f512d94864.jpeg

2DF0CEB6-00F6-4DEA-9970-E19408D3EA19.gif.2ad05dd98f7839ebc717a2cc370b19c5.gif673C36A3-72B3-49F6-9052-AF7111D1E753.jpeg.ecbb7f55aad2e989760c6458e78523ac.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

lol watch the 2011 finals again

The problem is even in the regular season the refs refuse to keep loading up one team with power play after power play.  All skilled players draw penalties, but not by the book.  Guys like Crosby, McDavid and even EP draw way more penalties than actually get called.  Boston new this and took advantage of it, we still got way more power plays then they did, we just couldn’t beat Thomas and their defense.  Maybe the next core will learn from this, or at least we have JB who knows this can work as a tactic.  PHI almost built a dynasty on it until Larry Robinson arrived and proceeded to demolish their line-up one after the other...before that the entire league was their b$@ch.   

ANA also won a cup doing this, spent half the entire playoffs in the box, but teams couldn’t deal with it.  The game never has and never will be called by the book, it’s up to the players and the coaches to stand up to it and overcome teams that use this tactic (97-2000 Detroit teams also did this, Shanny and co would pick out a star and either knock him out of a series or get him to quit), there’s nothing wrong with it, tough and skilled teams have won a lot of cups.

Its different nowadays as no team is really built for that style, but at the same time it’s no surprise that the ones that have some element of that on their team, are considered contenders (WNP, WSH and even SJ).  

Ive always admired teams that can do it, and hope we build one that can at least take advantage on the PP if not stand up to it, or even better be the bully.  This is hockey after all.  It’s also why the 94 team would obliterate the 2011 team in a seven game series.

Dazzle is correct: There is no conspiracy against the Canucks. For the most part, every fanbase in the NHL thinks the zebras have it in for their team. Why? Because we remember the calls that didn't go our way and forget about the ones that did.

Case in point is the 2011 finals against the Bruins. Everyone remembers Marchand speed bagging Daniel (which should have been a penalty) and Chara's rough treatment of Hank (which shouldn't have been a penalty) but the fact is, the Canucks had the advantage in power plays in that series. They were just too beat up to take advantage of them.

I've reffed a lot of games (granted, none at the professional level) and my experience is that every call you make or don't make is based on a similar play that may have happened earlier in the game. You look at what many fans think should be a penalty, but remember one that you let go earlier and don't make the call. Fans will tend to remember the non-call that went against their team, but not the other one.

Sometimes, this "tit for tat" gets away from you. I can only say that it's because we're human and human nature always prefers balance. A ref will (consciously, or unconsciously) try and balance things out, in an attempt to be fair. A lot of times this results in both teams thinking he or she was unfair. It's just how it is. One personal example I can cite is a situation where I might have made a call that some would call borderline. Especially in a tight game, you start looking for something to call against the opposing team, just to "even it up". I'm positive the pros do the same thing.

As I said, human nature. But no bias. Of course, the caveat would be that if a player skated by the zebra and complimented him on the quality of his GF's blowjobs, he might find himself in the sin bin sooner, rather than later.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Dazzle is correct: There is no conspiracy against the Canucks. For the most part, every fanbase in the NHL thinks the zebras have it in for their team. Why? Because we remember the calls that didn't go our way and forget about the ones that did.

Case in point is the 2011 finals against the Bruins. Everyone remembers Marchand speed bagging Daniel (which should have been a penalty) and Chara's rough treatment of Hank (which shouldn't have been a penalty) but the fact is, the Canucks had the advantage in power plays in that series. They were just too beat up to take advantage of them.

I've reffed a lot of games (granted, none at the professional level) and my experience is that every call you make or don't make is based on a similar play that may have happened earlier in the game. You look at what many fans think should be a penalty, but remember one that you let go earlier and don't make the call. Fans will tend to remember the non-call that went against their team, but not the other one.

Sometimes, this "tit for tat" gets away from you. I can only say that it's because we're human and human nature always prefers balance. A ref will (consciously, or unconsciously) try and balance things out, in an attempt to be fair. A lot of times this results in both teams thinking he or she was unfair. It's just how it is. One personal example I can cite is a situation where I might have made a call that some would call borderline. Especially in a tight game, you start looking for something to call against the opposing team, just to "even it up". I'm positive the pros do the same thing.

As I said, human nature. But no bias. Of course, the caveat would be that if a player skated by the zebra and complimented him on the quality of his GF's blowjobs, he might find himself in the sin bin sooner, rather than later.

We many not agree on politics, but R’s insight on the game is usually aligned with my own. As former player in the old dub, IIRC, this guy’s comments carry some weight with me. 

Speaking of 2011 

77BFB92F-9147-44FE-B460-62D4B9E2A06F.jpeg.a5e6042a4dd8b584992468e555952b31.jpeg

58 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Completely agree. But this type of refereeing (which is common practice) is also what fuels peoples perception of bias because it works long term in some cases.

A ref may have a checkered history with a player or team (see Burrows example) and may let their bias carry into another game. Not saying this happens often, but it does happen. There's a combination of reasons why Rousel skates the hardest, brings the most energy, yet rarely draws penalties. Referees are professional, yet still human. A player can build a reputation that is hard for a referee to ignore, and make it even harder to remain neutral. Then crazy CDC fans fill in the next part of the narrative. 

The take away from this is don't expect the refs to do something that the players should be doing themselves. Simmons yelling at the ref instead of Martha. Don't yell at the ref, do something about it. The only time you yell at the ref is on your way to the box for doing something about it. 

Just now, JayDangles said:

The take away from this is don't expect the refs to do something that the players should be doing themselves. Simmons yelling at the ref instead of Martha. Don't yell at the ref, do something about it. The only time you yell at the ref is on your way to the box for doing something about it. 

Pretty sure Simmonds did later in the game 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Fringe benefits of commanding an influential role in the entertainment industry.

Its show biz, what should we expect? 

Let’s be real, we need our own Russel Crowe here, yelling to the crowd, asking them if they are entertained...!

We used to have that here, especially in the late 80s through the 90s. We need to get it back. 

203401B8-1F61-4731-8359-8A75FE09382F.thumb.jpeg.5615bffd2f10796fa9cc51f512d94864.jpeg

2DF0CEB6-00F6-4DEA-9970-E19408D3EA19.gif.2ad05dd98f7839ebc717a2cc370b19c5.gif673C36A3-72B3-49F6-9052-AF7111D1E753.jpeg.ecbb7f55aad2e989760c6458e78523ac.jpeg

Rypien was an absolute &^@#ing legend.  :(

My sig should be enough to tell you I agree.  

12 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Rypien was an absolute &^@#ing legend.  :(

My sig should be enough to tell you I agree.  

Truest statement in this thread. I’d trade all of our tweeners, foundational and little things for someone with half the heart Rypien had. 

Archived