The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anti-vaccination, whats old is new again

JM_

On 2/18/2019 at 1:53 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

it is if you want to work in a healthcare setting, totally agree with schools. 

Its really amazing to see some of the same arguments used 150 years ago come back to today. You'd think this example would give some of the anti-vexers some perspective that maybe, just maybe, they've got things wrong. I suspect not. 

Explain

4 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I like how the dad of the 3 kids who contracted measles said doctors were saying there may be a link to autism. I'm sure he wasn't at all influenced by any celebrities who think they know more about disease prevention than say a doctor.

http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/

To think of all the bodily fluids I’ve wasted err uhh doing something to images of her without any clothes on.  Ok, I used to be a very shallow person. (I’ve gotten worse with age :P)

23 hours ago, luckylager said:

My daughter's daycare didn't accept unvaccinated kids unless their immune system was legitimately compromised.

Children who are unable to be vaccinated because of legit health issues are the children who deserve to be protected by heard immunity.

Both of my kids received every vaccine and subsequent booster shot. They're healthy, athletic and good students. Best of all, I never worry about them getting measles, mumps, rubella, hep etc.. all those other nasty, potentially deadly diseases.

If a parent neglects to vaccinate their children they should have to pay for any related healthcare costs incurred from their negligence. Like if your kid gets measles - &^@# you, you're paying for everything because that $&!# is on you. All your stupid fault, moron.

Or let me play bongo with their head.

34 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/

To think of all the bodily fluids I’ve wasted err uhh doing something to images of her without any clothes on.  Ok, I used to be a very shallow person. (I’ve gotten worse with age :P)

Carrey, Elfman, Masterson, Sheen, De Niro, Lewis, Alley etc. were part of that group.

Hollywood actors need to realize that we watch them for their acting abilities not their scientific expertise.

• Upvote 2

I’m enjoying my healthy lifestyle. One minor prescription in 21 years for some foot thing I picked up in a hockey dressing room last year.  Haven’t missed work for sickness since 2006 (one day).  Haven’t had a family doctor since I was a kid.

Maybe it’s because I hate lineups.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Firstly, there are more than one strain of the flu going around at a given time. It's not guaranteed to keep you from getting sick, but it increases your chances.

Secondly, the flu vaccine takes a couple of weeks to be effective. Combine that with the fact that someone can have the virus days before they show symptoms  and it's not surprising that some people still get sick after being vaccinated.

The fact is, you can't get the flu from the flu vaccine. There's no excuse for being "skeptical" when the truth is readily available:

https://www.who.int/influenza/spotlight/5-myths-about-the-flu-vaccine

Not to mention most people don't know the difference between the flu and the common cold. 

And the flu vaccine's effectiveness can vary wildly year to year. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 406in604 said:

Whenever I get a flu shot, I get the flu. The last 2 years without it, no flu. I wouldn't say I am an anti-vaxxer, but I am skeptical. 

There isn't an easier way to 'test' a large population than by using vaccination as the means to the end. 

yeah OK.... makes sense....

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1h

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I like how the dad of the 3 kids who contracted measles said doctors were saying there may be a link to autism. I'm sure he wasn't at all influenced by any celebrities who think they know more about disease prevention than say a doctor.

11 hours ago, 406in604 said:

Whenever I get a flu shot, I get the flu. The last 2 years without it, no flu. I wouldn't say I am an anti-vaxxer, but I am skeptical. 

There isn't an easier way to 'test' a large population than by using vaccination as the means to the end. 

Vaccines dont cause autism but let's pretend for a moment they did, why do these idoits think autism is scarier then their child potentially dying from measles or some other childhood illiness? A autistic child is better then a dead child.

Trust me on this nothing is worse then a baby/child dying.

This whole dont vaccinate because if autism debate enrages me.

Concerning the flu shot... it is irresponsible not to get it because of herd immunity. The flu shot has a dead non active strain of the flu in it. It does not have a live virus, you can not get the flu from the flu shot. The flu shot also does not protect you right away (I think it takes 10 days) so it is quite possible for you to get the flu after being vaccinated against it.

As a young teenager I had the mumps. I was so sick and in so much pain. I couldnt eat,  my whole face was swollen. I was one of the lucky ones who recoverd quicky and who did not have any lasting side effects yet I would not wish this on any one.

Vaccinate your kids people.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 406in604 said:

I haven't had a flu shot in 15 years. I've found in my experience that it's rarely effective, especially considering that there can be up to 200 strains present in any medium to large city. The best one can do regarding a flu is take care of themselves by eating well, make sure they're in good shape, and let the body build up immunity naturally. It has worked for me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AppleJack said:

Vaccines dont cause autism but let's pretend for a moment they did, why do these idoits think autism is scarier then their child potentially dying from measles or some other childhood illiness? A autistic child is better then a dead child.

Concerning the flu shot... it is irresponsible not to get it because of herd immunity. The flu shot has a dead non active strain of the flu in it. It does not have a live virus, you can not get the flu from the flu shot. The flu shot also does not protect you right away (I think it takes 10 days) so it is quite possible for you to get the flu after being vaccinated against it.

As a young teenager I had the mumps. I was so sick and in so much pain. I couldnt eat,  my whole face was swollen. I was one of the lucky ones who recoverd quicky and who did not have any lasting side effects yet I would not wish this on any one.

That's what kills me about anti-vaxxers: they've decided that being autistic is a fate worse than death. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, riffraff said:

I’m enjoying my healthy lifestyle. One minor prescription in 21 years for some foot thing I picked up in a hockey dressing room last year.  Haven’t missed work for sickness since 2006 (one day).  Haven’t had a family doctor since I was a kid.

Maybe it’s because I hate lineups.

Unbreakable-featured.jpg.76cfe4c49a50361bb12d03324c42ed9f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Firstly, there are more than one strain of the flu going around at a given time. It's not guaranteed to keep you from getting sick, but it increases your chances.

Secondly, the flu vaccine takes a couple of weeks to be effective. Combine that with the fact that someone can have the virus days before they show symptoms  and it's not surprising that some people still get sick after being vaccinated.

The fact is, you can't get the flu from the flu vaccine. There's no excuse for being "skeptical" when the truth is readily available:

https://www.who.int/influenza/spotlight/5-myths-about-the-flu-vaccine

I will be sceptical, thanks for your concern. 

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I haven't had a flu shot in 15 years. I've found in my experience that it's rarely effective, especially considering that there can be up to 200 strains present in any medium to large city. The best one can do regarding a flu is take care of themselves by eating well, make sure they're in good shape, and let the body build up immunity naturally. It has worked for me.

Exactly. All these people so quick to inject themselves with "who knows what". 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AppleJack said:

Maybe