The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tryamkins contract rights and its value.

Krumpalicious

Tryamkin doesn’t have a mean streak, but he certainly started learning to be physical.

He crumpled guys with just incidental contact.

Fighting is way down since he played here.  It is far more useful to have a guy who can throw a few hits a game that make the opposition shy of the puck.  

1 hour ago, aqua59 said:

Thanks for this post. Nice to see things in a nut shell. I think WD's approach sours this kid in a long way. The pot smell in vancouver is just something one has to get over. I've never really noticed it. I also think his wife had a hard time here with the language and working.

She went back to finish school. and I think the family situation has settled down a lot and they are now maybe looking more long term. Career wise the smart move is coming back here. He's leaving so much on the table signing in the KHL. 

One thing I have noticed is Tryamkin carries an edge to his play now. There were one or two moments, one when he was skating off the ice and someone shouldered him he had that 'Jamie Benn' look in his eyes. But nobody messes with him over there, really. He is a very passionate player, always the first one to talk to the goalie after a goal or save.

try baby.jpg

These are just some observations from what I sensed from his time here ...

I think somwhere inside of him, Tryamkin wanted (wants) to be more of a PMD and an offensive catalyst on D than what we wanted or need him to be from a physical/size perspective. 

It largely seems as though he wants to be more than just the one dimensional big guy.

I think there's a huge disconnect in how he sees himself, his game, his value, and how he "wants" to play, as compared to how we wanted to best utilize his size. More in a way of "this is who we want you to be" versus "this is who I am" with both sides not understanding each other.

With a guy like Tryamkin, there needs to be better communication so he understands why he's either getting more ice time, how he's being used, or why certain decisions are made. He even said it himself that he couldn't understand why or that there wasn't an explanation when he was benched.

I think it comes down to the guy not feeling valued - that seems to be a deeper human factor - and not understanding certain dynamics of the North American league culture that we may take for granted. 

Under Green, Tryamkin should have an easier time. One of Green's best attributes is knowing/understanding what each guy needs on an individual level to succeed. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I think somwhere inside of him, Tryamkin wanted (wants) to be more of a PMD and an offensive catalyst on D than what we wanted or need him to be from a physical/size perspective. 

It largely seems as though he wants to be more than just the one dimensional big guy.

I think there's a huge disconnect in how he sees himself, his game, his value, and how he "wants" to play, as compared to how we wanted to best utilize his size. More in a way of "this is who we want you to be" versus "this is who I am" with both sides not understanding each other.

With a guy like Tryamkin, there needs to be better communication so he understands why he's either getting more ice time, how he's being used, or why certain decisions are made. He even said it himself that he couldn't understand why or that there wasn't an explanation when he was benched.

I think it comes down to the guy not feeling valued - that seems to be a deeper human factor - and not understanding certain dynamics of the North American league culture that we may take for granted. 

Under Green, Tryamkin should have an easier time. One of Green's best attributes is knowing/understanding what each guy needs on an individual level to succeed

Coming from Castlegar maybe Green has a smattering of Doukhobor. When Larionov got home sick he visited Grandforks. IMHO Tryamkin's biggest issue was his hockey and how he fit in. As a 3 year vet of the KHL I think he resented having to go through the vetting process of becoming a NHL'er. It cannot be overlooked that he came to camp at 265 pounds. Not a great way to start a relationship with your coach. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Under Green, Tryamkin should have an easier time. One of Green's best attributes is knowing/understanding what each guy needs on an individual level to succeed. 

he's also much more blunt and harder on his players than WD.

53 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Coming from Castlegar maybe Green has a smattering of Doukhobor. When Larionov got home sick he visited Grandforks. IMHO Tryamkin's biggest issue was his hockey and how he fit in. As a 3 year vet of the KHL I think he resented having to go through the vetting process of becoming a NHL'er. It cannot be overlooked that he came to camp at 265 pounds. Not a great way to start a relationship with your coach. 

Good point.

In Russia and Europe players go to camp to get in best shape, in the NHL you have to be in best shape when you arrive to the camp. It is really astonishing that this little big difference still isn't known from every player who arrive from overseas. Really astonishing. At least their agents should tell them that urgently. Btw, who is Tryamkins agent?

On 2/19/2019 at 9:46 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

hey @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

sorry i can't find the article where the correction was made on Nik's status, but I'm certain 10.2 is the key. Below is a similar situation with Vegas and Gusev, the difference is Gusev didn't sign, but there's a section in 10.2 for Tryamkins situation that puts him in the "defected player" category as well. 

If you check out each teams reserve list there are a lot of guys in the "indefinite" category now. So with Nik being on our reserve list and shown as indefinite he's in the "defected" category, which is where cap friendly has him: https://www.capfriendly.com/reserve-list-faq#non-transfer-league

http://goldenknightswatch.com/index.php/2018/10/08/no-collusion-the-golden-knights-russian-invasion-may-be-closer-than-you-think/

When do the Golden Knights lose Gusev’s Rights?

Contrary to popular belief, the Golden Knights will retain Gusev’s rights indefinitely as long as he remains in the KHL.  Generally, a player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) when he either completes 7 seasons in the NHL or on the first June 30th after he turns 27 (Article 10.1 of the NHL CBA).  However, there is a specific exception for “Defected Players” like Gusev.

Under CBA Article 10.2(b)(i)(B) a player is considered “defected” if he has been drafted but has never signed a contract in the NHL or a league which has a transfer agreement with the NHL.  Because the NHL and KHL (or the lower-tier Russian leagues) do not have a transfer agreement, virtually every player drafted out of Russia is considered a defected player until they sign in the NHL, and the team that owns the player’s draft rights will own them indefinitely.  Other examples of players  whose draft rights continued after they turned 27 are  Anton Krysanov (drafted 2005 by Arizona) and Sergei Gayduchenko (drafted 2007 by Florida)

In other words, Gusev’s only route to the NHL is through the Golden Knights.

Maybe because it doesn't exist?

3 hours ago, the harry said:

Good point.

In Russia and Europe players go to camp to get in best shape, in the NHL you have to be in best shape when you arrive to the camp. It is really astonishing that this little big difference still isn't known from every player who arrive from overseas. Really astonishing. At least their agents should tell them that urgently. Btw, who is Tryamkins agent?

Igor Larionov I believe

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

He got that message LOUD AND CLEAR...he has put in the work and looks lean and mean nowadays. He has so much pride that I think he was really embarrassed by WD on his conditioning. He is being coached as a stay at home defenseman from the games I've watched. He didn't play today and sat out of the rotation. Last year he had 109 PM's I think he went back mean and nasty this year he is at 31 PM's right now. 

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think it's a bit more multi-layered. Tryamkin was basically asking for better communication. Green is a better communicator and better intuitively in relation to what he needs.

But I do think you're right in the whole getting scorned thing  which is correctable with age, experience, and maturity. 

More to it than just hockey. 

8 hours ago, the harry said:

Good point.

Hearsay. Speculation. Next.

On 2/21/2019 at 1:49 AM, the harry said:

Nice.

I bet I know Europe and Russia better than you, hahaha.

Maybe, maybe not. I didn't mean to be so dismissive. I was out at the time and skimmed your post. Apologies.

With the Tryamkin arriving out of shape issue, keeping him out of the games until he was in shape, I've always (also) seen it as the organization's way of making him earn his time since they didn't have the option of sending him to the AHL. 

At the time, management/coaching was sending the larger message that every young player had to earn their time. With Tryamkin's situation, putting him into the lineup right away would have sent a contradictory message that some players don't have to earn their time. 

So, as much as I agree with you about a certain approach between overseas and North America, I also think forcing him into the gym was a way for management to stay on message and use conditioning as a way for him to earn his time. 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, Dr. Crossbar said:

Because Green hasn't made players healthy scratches? Did he play Hutton big minutes last season when he showed up in poor shape? Has Goldy been handed big ice time? If it weren't for injuries and waiver eligibility Goldy would have been going up and down from Utica. Green is very much like Willy. You want it, show up ready, work hard, and you still have to earn it.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:58 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

She went back to finish school. and I think the family situation has settled down a lot and they are now maybe looking more long term. Career wise the smart move is coming back here. He's leaving so much on the table signing in the KHL. 

One thing I have noticed is Tryamkin carries an edge to his play now. There were one or two moments, one when he was skating off the ice and someone shouldered him he had that 'Jamie Benn' look in his eyes. But nobody messes with him over there, really. He is a very passionate player, always the first one to talk to the goalie after a goal or save.

try baby.jpg

Where are you catching his games? YouTube? 

Archived