The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pettersson is closing in on almost every Canucks rookie record

JustNazzy

Elias Pettersson is closing in on almost every Canucks rookie record

D65ee5c0c621138e6583683efa1bd7fe?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Rob Williams Feb 19, 2019 3:08 pm 4,385

Chasing history, Elias Pettersson is entering the home stretch on a number of Vancouver Canucks rookie records.

The clear frontrunner for the Calder Trophy in the NHL this season, Elias Pettersson has been the league’s top rookie in 2018-19. He leads all rookies, as well his entire team, in goals, assists, and points.

And now, with 22 games left in the Canucks’ season, he has a chance to etch his name a few times in the 49-year-old franchise record book.

While Pettersson hasn’t kept up the breakneck pace of his first 10 games, when he announced arrival to the NHL with 16 points (ie. Teemu Selanne rookie record pace), he’s been remarkably consistent and productive through his first NHL season.

He’s not catching anyone by surprise now, but Pettersson still has 10 points in his last 10 games, including three points in his last two contests.

With 54 points (26-28-54) in 49 games, Pettersson has already produced the eighth-highest rookie point total in Canucks history. With another point, he’ll tie Brock Boeser’s rookie point total from a year ago.

See also

Pettersson is just six points back of the all-time franchise record (60), shared by Pavel Bure and Ivan Hlinka. The Swedish centre is on pace to not only break that mark, but to do it in 10 fewer games than Bure (65).

Bure remains the only player in Canucks history to win the Rookie of the Year Award.

If Pettersson stays healthy and continues at his current pace, he will score 38 goals, 41 assists, and 78 points. That point total would blow the previous record out of the water, but the other two marks are close.

The rookie goals record is held by Bure, who scored 34 times in 1991-92. Pettersson is on pace to finish one assist shy of Dale Tallon, who notched 42 helpers during the Canucks’ inaugural NHL season in 1970-71.

canucks-rookie-records.png

Pettersson already owns the rookie game-winning goals record, scoring seven GWGs this season, one better than Bure did. He’ll etch his name into the record book again if he can score a second overtime goal this season, as no other player in Canucks history has more than one.

Other notable rookie records:

• Points-per-game: Pavel Bure holds the record with 0.92 (Pettersson is at 1.10)
  • Power play goals: Daniel Sedin and Brock Boeser had 10 (Pettersson has 8)
  • Power play points: Brock Boeser had 23 (Pettersson has 15)
  • Shorthanded goals: Gerry Minor had 6 in 1980-81 (Pettersson has 0)
  • Shots on goal: Pavel Bure had 268 (Pettersson has 108)
  • Plus-minus: Dixon Ward was +34 in 1992-93 (Pettersson is +15)
  • Penalty minutes: Gino Odjick had 296 PIMs in 1990-91 (Pettersson has 6)

Ok, so I guess Gino’s record is safe for another year.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/elias-pettersson-canucks-rookie-records

Just an article I liked so I thought I would share.

I try not to don my rose coloured glasses when assessing my own team but I truly feel Elias will be the best all around player we've ever had.

When this guy adds muscle to his tall frame he will be impossible to stop.  (He already plays far bigger than his weight suggests).

If we manage to get an elite LW, I can easily see that line being the best in the league.

Good times ahead.  It's amazing how having a player of his calibre helps change the complexion of a team.

Pettersson has a massive ceiling. I wish I could say that I saw this coming before the season but I was ignorant to this guys level of skill. His hockey IQ is exceptional. I think he could soon become the best player in the NHL. His game is so unique compared to the other star players. I made an entire video about it. Check it out if you get the time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLTEyQVSDO8&t=4s

On 2/20/2019 at 12:40 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Says who? What's stopping EP40 from going full-Gino and getting 2/5/10/game=17 PIMs per game? He just needs to start playing dirty and fighting all the goaltenders...

Hopefully he can start some fights and spearing guys and get the penalty minutes record for a rookie too!

On 2/20/2019 at 2:26 PM, bishopshodan said:

After he retires with 5 cups rings during the Canucks dynasty, Brett Hart will donate his famous quote for the engraving on next statue outside the Rog.

Elias 'The Alien' Pettersson  

The Best There Is,

The Best There Was,

The Best There Ever Will Be.

He's got a long long  way to go to catch Gretzky. When he starts putting up consecutive 200 point seasons you may have an argument but until then no one should be calling him the 'best ever'. 

If you mean best ever Canuck than I'm right there with you. The kid has huge potential. It will be interesting to see how he does in the coming years.

1 minute ago, CptCanuck16 said:

He's got a long long  way to go to catch Gretzky. When he starts putting up consecutive 200 point seasons you may have an argument but until then no one should be calling him the 'best ever'. 

If you mean best ever Canuck than I'm right there with you. The kid has huge potential. It will be interesting to see how he does in the coming years.

yep, that's what I meant. 

was also just being silly.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Record of being the most physically abused Canucks super star rookie ever.

Sure. Yes.

Possibly the record for being the shortest career by a star rookie, if this crap and Benning’s brilliance keeps up. 

dude pettersson will be fine. he will bulk up over the next two years and not get pushed around so much. the kid is already pretty tough hes gonna have a long career.

star players get targeted. star players also learn to deal with being targeted. 

Archived