The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] charlie coyle to bruins

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

100 or more hits in 3 of the last 5 seasons, on pace for near that this season. Hit totals should go up a bit with some of the nasty games the Bruins play especially with games left against Tampa, Columbus, and Winnipeg still on the schedule. 

Those hit totals aren't bad for a forward with some skill.

MDZ has over 100 hits 5 seasons running, but I don't think anyone would classify him as a bruising defenceman.  ^_^

Anyway, Boston is improved after this trade, while Minnesota looks to be starting a re-build.  One less competitor for those wild card spots.  :towel:

2 minutes ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

MDZ has over 100 hits 5 seasons running, but I don't think anyone would classify him as a bruising defenceman.  ^_^

Anyway, Boston is improved after this trade, while Minnesota looks to be starting a re-build.  One less competitor for those wild card spots.  :towel:

MDZ isn't 6’3 220 either. 

30 minutes ago, xereau said:

Don't know the prospect.  Coyle is worth it, probably. Slumping recently, whatever.  He is a strong forward.  Will fit right on with Boston.

I agree. Great player just needs a change of scenery or a different pace than Minny

19 minutes ago, mll said:

They are looking for futures.  He's not a bruising forward btw.  There's not a lot of meanness in Coyle.

Hes 26 and signed thru next year. 10 to 15 goals around 40 pts. That is future as it gets besides draft picks. 

Canucks desperately need size in lineup.

Plays  solid two way game.

Right now he is what Virtanen may very well end up being in two or three years 

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Zack MacEwen says hi.

Zack MacEwen is not 6'3 220 lbs. 

He's 205 lbs. Has 4 Career NHL games and would have zero if team didn't have so many injuries. 

He's not ready yet. 

Getzlaff broke Virts ribs and put Tanev out for a month in one game.  

EP injured twice no response.  

I love Z Mac. Said so in other posts. But this team needs more than him. 

Coyle isn't a big fighter but has size. He's a beast of a man. Plays an honest game. 

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Hes 26 and signed thru next year. 10 to 15 goals around 40 pts. That is future as it gets besides draft picks. 

Canucks desperately need size in lineup.

Plays  solid two way game.

Right now he is what Virtanen may very well end up being in two or three years 

The Wild are looking for futures.  Donato is 22 and still developing. 

Minnesota Wild

The Wild are 1-6-3 in their past 10 games, including back-to-back shutout losses, and have seen their lead for the second wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs from the Western Conference shrink to one point over the Colorado Avalanche, Arizona Coyotes, Chicago Blackhawks and Vancouver Canucks.

Given their current situation, general manager Paul Fenton is uncertain what he'll do before the NHL Trade Deadline. 

"It hasn't been a lot of fun going to sleep at night," Fenton said before the Wild's 4-0 loss to the Anaheim Ducks at Xcel Energy Center on Tuesday. "When I do go to sleep I find myself crying like a baby, just like most babies do.

"Am I making phone calls? I'm guaranteeing you I'm making phone calls, receiving phone calls, entertaining phone calls," Fenton said. "That's just the seat that I'm sitting in right now."

The phone calls may be yielding something. Multiple reports said the Wild have traded forward Charlie Coyle to the Boston Bruins for forward Ryan Donato and a draft pick. Coyle had 28 points (10 goals, 18 assists) in 60 games with the Wild. Donato had nine points (six goals, three assists) in 34 games with the Bruins, but was reassigned to Providence of the American Hockey League on Jan. 28.

It doesn't help that Minnesota lost center Mikko Koivu to a season-ending knee injury Feb. 5, and defenseman Matt Dumba has been out since rupturing a pectoral muscle Dec. 26. But Fenton wasn't using those injuries as an excuse for the Wild's recent poor results.

"Look at St. Louis, look at what happened to their goaltending. All of a sudden, they get confidence and that's what this league is all about is confidence," Fenton said of the Blues, who have won 11 straight games to move into third place in the Central Division.

"If you can get some confidence and maybe take that next step, we can go on a roll like them."

The question is whether the Wild need to make trades to do that. They tried to change the complexion of the team when forward Nino Niederreiter was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes for center Victor Rask on Jan. 17. Since the trade, Niederreiter has 13 points (eight goals, five assists) in 14 games for the Hurricanes; Rask has two points (one goal, one assist) in 10 games with the Wild. 

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Coulda gotten more for Coyle... Nice playoff rental for any team looking to contend. 

He had 0 points in 5 playoffs games last year.

Over the past 3 seasons in 16 playoff games he has 3 goals and 1 assist.

He has one more year left at 3.2M.

Archived