The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] charlie coyle to bruins

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Donato sucks. He'll likely play more AHL games than NHL games in his career. 

Bruins got a great deal. 

That might well be but to get Coyle the Canucks would have had to send futures over.  

16 minutes ago, mll said:

That might well be but to get Coyle the Canucks would have had to send futures over.  

Minor futures. A 5th rounder is a long shot and a C+ level prospect.  Pay that all day to get Coyle. . Only 26.. big huge guy. Scored 20 goals cpl years ago.  15 goals 40 pts guy. 

JB should have offered Gadjovich and 5th.

Maybe he did and Fenton didn't bit. Who knows. 

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Minor futures. A 5th rounder is a long shot and a C+ level prospect.  Pay that all day to get more size into line up.

JB should have offered Gadz and 5th. Maybe he did. Who know. 

Donato was supposed to challenge for the Calder this year.  He was one of the 3 Hobey Baker finalists when Gaudette won it.

2 minutes ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

the wild are the oldest team in the leauge. nothing really coming down the pipe that is a franchise saver like JB has in the barn ect.   i would be really suprised if boudreau has a job behind that bench next year

His job is safe - no indication that the Wild are interested in moving on per Russo.  It's on the players.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Donato was supposed to challenge for the Calder this year.  He was one of the 3 Hobey Baker finalists when Gaudette won it.

Ya you're right about that. 

He was good end of last season with Bruins but expectations were a bit high this year...

He definitely has more value than Gadjovich... 

49 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Seems like a pretty high price for Coyle. Lets see what we can get out of Boston for Guddy haha

22 years old, 9 points in 34 games with 68% ozone starts, half his goals on the PP. I wouldn't say it's that high a price but he's still pretty young so who knows if he has more to give. 5th rounder is kind of whatever. Coyle is 4 years older, produces better with lesser deployment. Not a super physical guy but has 61 hits in 60 games played. Donato averages 0.5 hits per game so it is an upgrade in toughness and size.

Might be a better fit in Minnesota for Donato but he likely wasn't gonna improve in Boston. So Boston wins the trade, and Donato might benefit from the change as well so hopefully Minnie can win out too. 

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Zack MacEwen is not 6'3 220 lbs. 

He's 205 lbs. Has 4 Career NHL games and would have zero if team didn't have so many injuries. 

He's not ready yet. 

Getzlaff broke Virts ribs and put Tanev out for a month in one game.  

EP injured twice no response.  

I love Z Mac. Said so in other posts. But this team needs more than him. 

Coyle isn't a big fighter but has size. He's a beast of a man. Plays an honest game. 

Seriously, I saw him today at the gym and he said to say hi. 

There was an all over team response for the injury from Matheson, and Guddy fought Haley. That twerp from Montreal was an idiot for his cheap move, but Petterson himself said it was an honest mistake. Guddy also handled Getzlaf admirably after the bull$&!# on Virtanen. I guess he could have tried to maim Goatsass permanently, but the useless zebras bear full responsibility for not giving him a game misconduct for his cheap bs on Virtanen. 

Honestly though, I think MacEwen is going to turn out to be a great player for the team. He may lack some of the weight that Coyle has, but he's a gamer. Charlie is also known for being very inconsistent and doesn't always take the body. 

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is that a lot to have paid?  I like Coyle.  He will be a good fit in Boston.  

I would of like Coyle playing wing with Horvat...Coyle 26 yrs old, 6'2 needed a new team...He could of been a great fit with Horvat...

We really need to make trade for good LW for Horvat.....Poor guy has not had good wingers for most of the season

Imagine Horvat with a winger that has good hands...I could see Bo with 65-75 points...

Also from Russo: Delay in Coyle-Donato trade announcement is likely because #bruins have a game tonight and have the max 23 players on roster, so they’d have to make a roster move to add Coyle.

Donato was in Providence and will join the Wild on their road trip.

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Donato sucks. He'll likely play more AHL games than NHL games in his career. 

Bruins got a great deal. 

6 hours ago, rekker said:

Donato and a fifth. Frig, good deal for Boston. Donato is overrated.

Any particular reason why Donato is so looked down upon? He seems quite close to a Gaudette to me. So do you feel similarly about Gaudette?

Gaudette and Donato both had solid college careers, Gaudette won the Hobey while Donato was a finalist. Donato actually had 9 points in 12 games coming straight out of college (Boeser had 5 points in 9 games as a comparison and Gaudette had 0 points in 5). Now obviously Donato's numbers aren't as good this year with 9 points in 34 games, but Gaudette has 9 points in 35 games this year and many seem to see Gaudette with a lot more potential left (both are the same age). Donato has 12 points in 18 games in the AHL and Gaudette has 11 in 14. Both guys are similar builds and are centers. It was brought up that Donato led the US in the Olympics and Gaudette doesn't have that on his resume whereas he was only considered for the team.

So with all that said, would you have traded Gaudette and a 5th for Coyle?

Archived