The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] charlie coyle to bruins

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Any particular reason why Donato is so looked down upon? He seems quite close to a Gaudette to me. So do you feel similarly about Gaudette?

Gaudette and Donato both had solid college careers, Gaudette won the Hobey while Donato was a finalist. Donato actually had 9 points in 12 games coming straight out of college (Boeser had 5 points in 9 games as a comparison and Gaudette had 0 points in 5). Now obviously Donato's numbers aren't as good this year with 9 points in 34 games, but Gaudette has 9 points in 35 games this year and many seem to see Gaudette with a lot more potential left (both are the same age). Donato has 12 points in 18 games in the AHL and Gaudette has 11 in 14. Both guys are similar builds and are centers. It was brought up that Donato led the US in the Olympics and Gaudette doesn't have that on his resume whereas he was only considered for the team.

So with all that said, would you have traded Gaudette and a 5th for Coyle?

Solid post. Yes I would make that deal, Coyle is a solid player

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Any particular reason why Donato is so looked down upon? He seems quite close to a Gaudette to me. So do you feel similarly about Gaudette?

Gaudette and Donato both had solid college careers, Gaudette won the Hobey while Donato was a finalist. Donato actually had 9 points in 12 games coming straight out of college (Boeser had 5 points in 9 games as a comparison and Gaudette had 0 points in 5). Now obviously Donato's numbers aren't as good this year with 9 points in 34 games, but Gaudette has 9 points in 35 games this year and many seem to see Gaudette with a lot more potential left (both are the same age). Donato has 12 points in 18 games in the AHL and Gaudette has 11 in 14. Both guys are similar builds and are centers. It was brought up that Donato led the US in the Olympics and Gaudette doesn't have that on his resume whereas he was only considered for the team.

Agree with all about Donato, as for trading Gaudette and a 5th for Coyle, if we were solidly sitting in 2nd or 3rd in our division yes. In our current position, no. 

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Gaudette > Donato. Equivalent offensive skill, but Gaudette is a better defensive player. Donato got some cushy icetime last season, but still was a -11 in 34 games (and a -3 in 3 playoff games).

And as mentioned, trading for Coyle doesn't make nearly as much sense for us as it does for Boston. Their top players are on the wrong side of 30, our top players are in their early 20s.

5 hours ago, Hectic said:

Solid post. Yes I would make that deal, Coyle is a solid player

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Agree with all about Donato, as for trading Gaudette and a 5th for Coyle, if we were solidly sitting in 2nd or 3rd in our division yes. In our current position, no. 

Fair enough. I personally wouldn't regardless of the situation as I feel Gaudette will have more to offer in the long run (especially as a center), but the fact that they only wanted a 5th round pick sure would've made it enticing. With that said, I'm open to moving Gaudette for a solid young dman.

I don't think this deal is as much of a steal for Boston as some think though.

20 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Gaudette > Donato. Equivalent offensive skill, but Gaudette is a better defensive player. Donato got some cushy icetime last season, but still was a -11 in 34 games (and a -3 in 3 playoff games).

And as mentioned, trading for Coyle doesn't make nearly as much sense for us as it does for Boston. Their top players are on the wrong side of 30, our top players are in their early 20s.

Well I'm just looking at this discussion in a value standpoint of equivalent players and not so much about whether it's worth it for us compared to Boston. And also wondering why Donato is deemed to be so terrible when he has a lot of similarities to Gaudette who doesn't get the same disdain.

Hard to say if Gaudette is superior defensively. They are deployed differently. Gaudette gets quite sheltered minutes playing under 10 mins in some games whereas Donato has been utilized more. He may have gotten more minutes last year, but that could be because he was actually producing much like Boeser did coming out of the gate.

The -11 isn't worrisome for me as he is a young player getting utilized a bit more, so mistakes will happen. Doesn't mean he's terrible defensively. Plus/minus can be misleading as we don't know if it's directly his fault or just being on the ice at a bad time. Pouliot is even for the year and Hutton is -14, but I know who I would want out there if it calls for a more defensive situation.

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The -11 isn't worrisome for me as he is a young player getting utilized a bit more, so mistakes will happen. Doesn't mean he's terrible defensively. Plus/minus can be misleading as we don't know if it's directly his fault or just being on the ice at a bad time. Pouliot is even for the year and Hutton is -14, but I know who I would want out there if it calls for a more defensive situation.

It was worrisome for me, as he spent a lot of time riding shotgun with Bergeron - who almost NEVER gets scored on 5-on-5.

And it was generally only for O-Zone starts at that (68%).

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

It was worrisome for me, as he spent a lot of time riding shotgun with Bergeron - who almost NEVER gets scored on 5-on-5.

And it was generally only for O-Zone starts at that (68%).

He may have been on the PP with him or an occasional shift, but his 12 min average per night would suggest he didn't often ride shotgun with their top line center.

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I found Donato's foot speed to be lacking. I did watch him a fair bit and its just my arm chair scouting which is obviously worth nothing. It's more to my pet peeve which I call Lastnameitiz. People, hockey people included, get caught up in last names. Siblings, sons etc always get extra attention and a lot of times its undeserved. Seen it all through minor and junior hockey where kids get extra attention based on their name. Eventually it catches up to them if all things are equal talent wise. Again, my armchair analysis but Gaudette is going to have the way better career. Of course I'm biased but that's my take on it. 

2 hours ago, rekker said:

I found Donato's foot speed to be lacking. I did watch him a fair bit and its just my arm chair scouting which is obviously worth nothing. It's more to my pet peeve which I call Lastnameitiz. People, hockey people included, get caught up in last names. Siblings, sons etc always get extra attention and a lot of times its undeserved. Seen it all through minor and junior hockey where kids get extra attention based on their name. Eventually it catches up to them if all things are equal talent wise. Again, my armchair analysis but Gaudette is going to have the way better career. Of course I'm biased but that's my take on it. 

Fair enough. I wasn't even aware he was Ted Donato's son. Although sometimes those last name players do turn out to be legit. Foot speed is important in today's game, but quality players still do find a way to make it work, so I guess we will see how he progresses. I just think "Donato sucks" is too harsh of a criticism for him at this point in his career.

I certainly hope that Gaudette has the better career!

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Fair enough. I wasn't even aware he was Ted Donato's son. Although sometimes those last name players do turn out to be legit. Foot speed is important in today's game, but quality players still do find a way to make it work, so I guess we will see how he progresses. I just think "Donato sucks" is too harsh of a criticism for him at this point in his career.

I certainly hope that Gaudette has the better career!

Lol. Perhaps it was a tad harsh. I still get angry when talking about Bruins. Lol. 

Wild are also heavily shopping Zucker.  They are looking for a player and a prospect.  Source Russo on twitter.

Zucker had 33 goals and 64pts last season.  He has 30pts in 61 games so far.  He is signed for another 4 years at 5.5M and his limited NTC kicks in in July.  He is from the 2010 draft class - same as Spooner.

Not so long ago the Wild's young and upcoming core was Niederreiter, Coyle, Granlund, Zucker, Brodin, Dumba - of that group only Dumba is untouchable.  Their future is now Greenway, Kunin, Eriksson Ek, Donato.

It looks like they are trying to clear cap space to be active in free agency.

Archived