The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Matt Duchene, Julius Bergman to Blue Jackets for Vitali Abramov, Jonathan Davidsson, 2019 1st-round pick, conditional 2020 1st-round pick

48 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

It's possible that CBJ is not liking the offers for Panarin and Bobrovsky.  They also need to start making hay in the playoffs and adding Duchene should help with that.  I am somewhat surprised that they managed to hold on to Wennberg in the deal as I would have thought Ottawa would want to have a roster player coming back.

Duchene gives CBJ two legitimate scoring lines now and allows them to drop Wennberg or Foligno (also a former Senator...) into a 3rd line C role.  CBJ added a great piece in Seth Jones by trading Ryan Johansen and they have been blessed to see Dubois emerge as a solid top-6 C.  Even then, the team has struggled with depth at C for a long time so this trade should help them make a run this year.

I don't know if I would say that CBJ is now a favorite but they're way more dangerous than they were before the trade, especially if this trade sparks a guy like Werenski.

It's unfortunate these players don't seem to want to stay in CBJ. Shame because they have a good team.

They were able to keep Wennberg because Ottawa is all about the 1st rounds picks right now. If CBJ re-signs Duchene (which isn't too likely) Ottawa will get an additional 1st round pick.

3 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Load up the aav on a two year term.. if not deal him , and if not just walk away rather have him leave for nothing then have another bad contract on this team.

its only a matter of time before OJ and Hutton over take him anyways.

Ummm... did you put this in the wrong thread maybe?

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Great player. Not top tier in my opinion. IE Stone is top tier. Duchene is a player that would help any team but I dont think he is a player you build around. A first and two prospects, a possible second first for a rental is pretty good. 

Agree, he's a good individual players, but he just can't seem to make the people around him better.  He gets his points, but he don't really bring anything else to the team.

Kinda of reminds me of Kessel with Toronto.  They are not go-to-guys, but when you add them behind superstar like Crosby and Malkin, that's when they are dangerous. It's a better chair for them.  I would put O'Reilly in that category too.

All things considered, thats a pretty good deal Dorion was able to pull off.  Everybody knew he had no leverage.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

no, we're seeing GM's not wanting to pay for established veterans and so they bring the kids in to fill those spots.

What's bad about that though? Are teams really better off with established veterans than rookies with potential to provide the same services?

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

We'll see.  If that pick ends up being Hughes, they lost big time this year.

But that doesn't make this deal bad. Their year is for sure bad regardless of Colorado getting a top 3 pick. Lol. But that doesn't diminish any good deals they may make after the fact. Can't keep looking backwards, gotta look forward. Fans love looking back on things and depressing themselves. Dunno why, but hey to each their own. I like this deal a lot for Ottawa. 

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

As of today, Columbus is not a playoff team. Almost certainly will be, but would have to be considered top 16 rather than the coveted top 8. Also doubt that they have plans to re-sign Duchene, making that conditional 1st round pick in 2020 a non issue.

They will for sure try and sign Duchene.  Center depth is a big weakness in Columbus.  Wennberg is not taking that next step and there are discussions that a change of scenery would be best for him.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Possibly just a conditional 1st and only if Duchene re-signs.  Duchene could screw the Sens over one last time in July if reports are true 

And let's be honest here.  Duchene staying in CNJ with Torts is...probably not happening

Yup. Could be that the CBJ don't even try to sign Duchene (depending on how he does in the playoffs and the team's playoff success), and especially if they are by some chance able to re-sign Bobrovsky and Panarin and don't want to use up cap space on Duchene.

Or, they might still trade some or all of them by next week...

regards,  G.

17 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

What's bad about that though? Are teams really better off with established veterans than rookies with potential to provide the same services?

rookies don't, that's my point.  They might be able to skate a little faster, move a little quicker, maybe a little better with their stick, but, imo, hockey hasn't been this scrambly in the 45 years I've been watching it.  Kids have skills, no one would deny that, but they don't have the experience and patience that vets have.  The standings pretty much bare that out too......the contending teams are almost exclusively teams with solid veteran cores.

Archived