The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade: Jensen To Caps for Bowey and a 2nd

FlappyLappy

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bowie is where Hutton was last year.  

Exactly, and look what the right coach did for Hutton this year. 

Every move will look like the right move if Wsh wins.  If they don't win though.....always a risk. 

21 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Bowey + 2nd for Edler would definitely not have been great or even good.

Bowey's time is running out. He's soon to be a 24 year-old that hasn't been able to stick in the NHL. He's only a little more than a throw-in contract.

A playoff-tested legit top-4 D-man in Edler should be worth more. A 2019 1st would be the starting point.

you think time is running out on a 23 year old dman?  

Yeah for me I think d men get a longer leash to develop.

Justin Schultz looked bad in Edmonton and since moving to Pittsburgh he rediscovered his offensive potential.

Would be interested if anybody knows what the age am NHL d men should have themselves established by.

Like I said, most forwards these days show their NHL potential by age 23.

For goalies it is very unpredictable.

30 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Almost 24 years-old is not "early in his development". This is the kind of rationale that had people thinking we traded for a (future) stud in Gudbranson.

Man time goes quick. Didn't realize he is 24 already. Still a decent project though. 

15 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Exactly, and look what the right coach did for Hutton this year. 

Every move will look like the right move if Wsh wins.  If they don't win though.....always a risk. 

Big price to pay for a rental.

Washington would have been better off with Tanev who is a similar style player imo.

Too bad he can't stay healthy enough to be trade bait.

Once again proof that a players worth is not what observers with an opinion think it is. It’s what a team wants to pay to get the player they want. This would be why one player fetches for example a prospect and a second and another team with a similar player only fetches a second and a third.

16 minutes ago, John McClane said:

Once again proof that a players worth is not what observers with an opinion think it is. It’s what a team wants to pay to get the player they want. This would be why one player fetches for example a prospect and a second and another team with a similar player only fetches a second and a third.

I can't believe nobody picked up DSP.  Must be 30 idiot GMs out there, missed out on him not only on waivers but also unconditional waivers and as a UFA.  What're they thinking...

:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Down by the River said:

One of the few Canucks-based writes that I like is Harman Dayal. He called Jensen as a really solid UFA target. I think this was a good move by the Caps. 

He knows his hockey. Has lots of great takes , very informative and detailed takes .

Here is the thing I don't understand. 

At the trade deadline last year apparently Gudbranson was only going to fetch a 3rd round pick yet we signed him for 4 million per year. Jensen garners over double the return (I'd put Bowey's value at around a 3rd round pick) and signs for just over half of what we signed Gudbranson for. 

Now in a case of a young player vs an older player or different positions it may be harder to gauge. But in this case Jensen and Gudbranson are similar in age, both right handed dmen, and neither puts up a tonne of points. 

Now, either Washington gave up too much in the trade or Jensen signed for a massive discount. Either way it goes to show just how bad everything Gudbranson has been and we still pay him 4 million per year! Given what Jensen signed for and how Gudbranson has played he will be lucky to get 1.5 on his next contract. 

Archived