The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Alexander Wennberg

N7Nucks

I was listening to Burkie and MacLean talk about the Duchene trade and an interesting name came up. As you can tell from the title it was Alexander Wennberg's. They mentioned that, in their words, he is having an awful season. With the addition of Duchene and Dubois' stellar play I am thinking they may want to shed Wennberg's cap and possibly even recoup a pick or two that they lost in the Duchene deal. Not saying Wennberg is worth a 1st but to get a pick or two back would be nice even if just a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Wennberg's stats:

Games played: 59, Goals: 2, Assists: 21, Points: 23, Ice time: 15:49, Ozone starts: 50.2%, Total faceoffs: 630, Faceoff percentage: 47.9%

He is 6'2, a hair under 200 pounds. Plays center and probably wing. He's only 24 years of age, 25 in September. Had 35 points in 66 games last year, 59 points in 80 games the year before that. He's a playmaker. No real physical attributes. But is pretty good about not giving away the puck a ton. 4 more years at 4.9mil cap hit. I heard Benning was interested in guys like Burakovsky and Johansson. Wennberg is the same age as Burakovsky, has slightly better numbers overall, and has a contract that Columbus is more willing to part with than Washington. 

So my question is would you be willing to take a gamble on Alex Wennberg and if so what exactly would be a good asking price for a guy struggling on their team and is making 5mil for 4 more years? Keep in mind he is 24 years old and is playing on Tort's team. So I am not entirely sure how much of his struggles are on him or Torts coaching style. Trading Sutter seems like a pipe dream given he has 2 more years at nearly 4.4mil and has a NTC, becomes a modified NTC next season. Even though Sutter might fit in well with Torts style. 

Any player suffering in Columbus would be worth a gamble.  We all know what Torts will do to a player he doesn't like.  To me this isn't a gamble, but more of an opportunity to pickup some talent.  If it were me, I'd be kicking tires there.

Columbus is going all in this year with the Duchene trade so anything they look to do will likely be for immediate help. I'm not overly familiar with their team but unless they view the likes of Gudbranson, Sutter or Erikkson (AKA the guys making in the same ballpark with similar term to Wennberg) as upgrades to their success this season I don't see a deal happening. Perhaps we throw in some cheap depth sweeteners like Granlund or Goldy to make it happen. It's certainly a gamble I'd take especially since in that scenario capwise the risk is the same and he fits our core age group better

Don't mind Wennberg but no idea what CBJ would want in return.  Duchene (if he can be re-signed) and Dubois give CJB two solid Cs.  Panarin will presumably be leaving next season so, if Wennberg plays wing, perhaps they may prefer to keep him.

They have quite a bit of cap space this summer (even if they need to re-sign at least Duchene, Werenski and a goalie) so I don't think they would be pressed to trade Wennberg this year or this summer (Dubois is still on his ELC until the end of next season).  Even then, unless Wennberg struggles again next season, I would see CBJ trying to unload Brandon Dubinsky first as that would clear a lot of $.

I doubt the Canucks would offer high value picks for Wennberg (who, I presume, could be a Baertschi replacement if he remains out indefinitely).  As others have posted, my guess would be some kind of package including Gudbranson, Sutter and/or a prospect (not necessarily all of them) might be where the Canucks would want to be at, but I don't think CBJ would bite.

I agree with the sentiment that they’d like Sutter. I’m sure Sutter would waive his NTC to play on a contender, but can’t say for certain. I would suspect they might ask us to retain cap on him. Maybe 500-800k. Would you give up a 2020 2nd rounder as well? I doubt they care much for this year’s draft and I suspect we’re less concerned with next year’s draft. 

I am not good with player values. I just question what it’d cost to get players I like.

I could see it happening. Former high picks who have had off-years are sort of Benning's target for acquisitions. He'd have to come cheap trade value wise, as his contract is lengthy and isn't cheap. 6 years x 4.9m, huge gamble if he doesn't work out.

Roster player + mid round pick is what i'm thinking. 

15 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I agree with the sentiment that they’d like Sutter. I’m sure Sutter would waive his NTC to play on a contender, but can’t say for certain. I would suspect they might ask us to retain cap on him. Maybe 500-800k. Would you give up a 2020 2nd rounder as well? I doubt they care much for this year’s draft and I suspect we’re less concerned with next year’s draft. 

I am not good with player values. I just question what it’d cost to get players I like.

Boone Jenner plays Sutter's role.  Columbus is missing a 2nd line C.  Duchene helps this season but if they can't sign him they'll need a replacement.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Boone Jenner plays Sutter's role.  Columbus is missing a 2nd line C.  Duchene helps this season but if they can't sign him they'll need a replacement.  

True, true. Daily faceoff had him on the wing and Wennberg as the center for some reason. Columbus has Dubois and Duchene as their top 2 centers this season. They do seem to have a lot of players that can play center. Interesting.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:10 PM, N7Nucks said:

I was listening to Burkie and MacLean talk about the Duchene trade and an interesting name came up. As you can tell from the title it was Alexander Wennberg's. They mentioned that, in their words, he is having an awful season. With the addition of Duchene and Dubois' stellar play I am thinking they may want to shed Wennberg's cap and possibly even recoup a pick or two that they lost in the Duchene deal. Not saying Wennberg is worth a 1st but to get a pick or two back would be nice even if just a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Wennberg's stats:

Games played: 59, Goals: 2, Assists: 21, Points: 23, Ice time: 15:49, Ozone starts: 50.2%, Total faceoffs: 630, Faceoff percentage: 47.9%

He is 6'2, a hair under 200 pounds. Plays center and probably wing. He's only 24 years of age, 25 in September. Had 35 points in 66 games last year, 59 points in 80 games the year before that. He's a playmaker. No real physical attributes. But is pretty good about not giving away the puck a ton. 4 more years at 4.9mil cap hit. I heard Benning was interested in guys like Burakovsky and Johansson. Wennberg is the same age as Burakovsky, has slightly better numbers overall, and has a contract that Columbus is more willing to part with than Washington. 

So my question is would you be willing to take a gamble on Alex Wennberg and if so what exactly would be a good asking price for a guy struggling on their team and is making 5mil for 4 more years? Keep in mind he is 24 years old and is playing on Tort's team. So I am not entirely sure how much of his struggles are on him or Torts coaching style. Trading Sutter seems like a pipe dream given he has 2 more years at nearly 4.4mil and has a NTC, becomes a modified NTC next season. Even though Sutter might fit in well with Torts style. 

I would be happy to shed Sutter.  We dont need to move Sutter before getting Wenneberg.  Granlund could go the other way and Sutter could be moved some salary retained.  Heck The Jackets might retain salary.  Not sure what their cap situation is.  

Archived