The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Erik Gudbranson

brian42

Based on JB's comments of trading established players for younger guys &/or picks, yet not have discussions on injured Canuck players. 

Also considering Gudbranson's lack of ice time, Gudbranson seems like the most logical player to deal. 

I would love to trade Gudbranson and although we would miss his toughness we can find toughness else where for cheaper.

1 logical trading partner would be Toronto as they could use a right side D-man.

I would love to give Timothy Liljegren a chance but I doubt the Leafs would be willing to move him. Possibly Gudranson with salary retention and a prospect for him.  

What are your thoughts on trading Gudbranson and who could we get for him?  

4 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Based on JB's comments of trading established players for younger guys &/or picks, yet not have discussions on injured Canuck players. 

Also considering Gudbranson's lack of ice time, Gudbranson seems like the most logical player to deal. 

I would love to trade Gudbranson and although we would miss his toughness we can find toughness else where for cheaper.

1 logical trading partner would be Toronto as they could use a right side D-man.

I would love to give Timothy Liljegren a chance but I doubt the Leafs would be willing to move him. Possibly Gudranson with salary retention and a prospect for him.  

What are your thoughts on trading Gudbranson and who could we get for him?  

Liljegren is off limits according to Dubas.

I like gudbranson solely because he’s our only heavy weight BUT just the other day I saw his stats for the first time this year and he’s a team worse -25 soooo ouchie 

hes also been on the ice for 44% of our goals against 

he’s a glorified 3rd pair guy, but we still need him until we add more muscle  

Doubt Dubas, a guy with an analytics background, has any interest in Gudbranson considering he might literally be the worst D-man in the NHL this year statistically.

You know for sure Babcock would love him, but Dubas doesn't work for Babcock, that's why he let go of a similar player in Polak.

Even if the Leafs were interested, not a chance they offer Liljegren for him. It would have to something like a pick + a depth D-man back because the Leafs won't want to take the entire salary.

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

Honestly, with the way he's playing, and his contract status (2 more years at $4M per), he's negative value. I don't think he'd get claimed on waivers.

If we retained, maybe we'd get some interest, but nothing phenomenal.

I am not a fan of Gudbranson whatsoever but I'd be surprised if he wasn't claimed because NHL management teams all over the league still feature many dinosaurs.

He has a lot of name value and is "famous" for his "leadership" and "toughness". This stuff holds a lot of weight in NHL circles.

Yes, intangibles are important, but not at the price of playing Gudbranson (the price being his cap-hit coupled with him being a complete liability).

Heck, I bet a Benning-type manager out there would still pay a decent price for Gudbranson in a trade.

Just wish this trade was made before Gudbranson's value tanked: before he re-signed here or at least before Green started squeezing his minutes. It would have been a shrewd move to cut our losses, but asset management has never been Benning's forte.

43 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Doubt Dubas, a guy with an analytics background, has any interest in Gudbranson considering he might literally be the worst D-man in the NHL this year statistically.

You know for sure Babcock would love him, but Dubas doesn't work for Babcock, that's why he let go of a similar player in Polak.

Even if the Leafs were interested, not a chance they offer Liljegren for him. It would have to something like a pick + a depth D-man back because the Leafs won't want to take the entire salary.

The only way I'd see Toronto dealing for Guddy if it were part of a package to send Zaitsev out (another contract dump, only larger).

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

Honestly, with the way he's playing, and his contract status (2 more years at $4M per), he's negative value. I don't think he'd get claimed on waivers.

If we retained, maybe we'd get some interest, but nothing phenomenal.

I can't see any team waiving Guddy. I know he isn't the greatest but I would be shocked if he was waived. Really no point in seeing him sent down.

7 hours ago, Dr.BRR said:

I can't see any team waiving Guddy. I know he isn't the greatest but I would be shocked if he was waived. Really no point in seeing him sent down.

I'm not suggesting that we actually waive him. Given our depth issues at D and our position in the standings, it wouldn't make sense.

However, if for some reason we actually did, I wouldn't be surprised if he cleared. Because of that, I don't suspect we'll get anything of value for him in a trade.

Based on JB's interview with Farhan Lalji, he said hockey trades like a D-man for a forward. 

Previously he stated as mentioned in OP established players for younger guys but not our injured guys.

I could see something like Gudbranson for a young forward.  I would like a trade like that mainly because I think our D will improve without Gudbranson. 

The Canucks need help on D but Hughes, Juolevi and cap space from Gudbranson could help there. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Erik Gudbranson

Archived