The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] One of Chicagos big 4 D prospects is not off the table.

Kanukfanatic

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I feel like Jokiharju is safe as well. There's no way the Hawks would consider moving him for anything less than a severe overpayment. They had him playing on the top pair with Keith at the beginning of the year. 

But if he actually is on the table, then we should absolutely be looking. Juolevi for Jokiharju?

You realize they are trying to trade D depth, so OJ going back makes less than 0 sense.

11 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I looked up their prospects and the one that stands out to me is Mitchell he is also the one who has nothing said about him. He is a college player and will likely stay in college to become UFA, based on how Chicago doesn't really have a spot for him. If I had to guess he would be the one Chicago trades. I don't think JB would target Beaudin or Boqvist as they both seem to be Hughes like. I think if JB were targetting one of these DMAN it would be Jokiharju as he is 6ft and near 200lbs which is what the defense needs. I can't see our defense having two Hughes like frames on it back there.

If there would a prospect to target on the Hawks, it would be Mitchell for the exact reasons you mentioned. 

There's been rumblings that the Blackhawks brass are worried that the logjam of current and potential defensemen in the organization will keep him in college until he's a UFA.  With 7 on the current roster, Jokiharju in Rockford, and Boqvist, Beaudin, Chad Krys, and Jakub Galvus all potential prospects...Mitchell probably sees how difficult the road may be in Chicago.

This was based on a report out of Denver that was never actually confirmed by the Hawks or Mitchell though.  So, take it for what its worth.

18 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

A few of biggest minus magnets on this site I know are actual hockey people from a previous life.

I didn't realize that 'actual hockey people' are all a hive mind.  You do realize it's possible for 'actual hockey people' to have differing opinions on things, right? ;) Heck, a couple years ago, a great many 'hockey people' were questioning what the hell the Canucks were doing, and this year, as the rebuild has been bearing fruit, a great many have been quite complimentary to the state of the rebuild....funny that.

I happen to know a few hockey people from their current lives. They all have varying opinions on a great many things. Some of which I happen to agree with or disagree with with many shades of grey in between (not that my opinion particularly matters beyond being one of many voices here on CDC). But I'm sure CDC thanks you for the arrogant, pious lecture...

Anyway...on to the thread at hand. Be sweet to nab one of Chicago's D but I'm not sure we can afford the prospects it would cost. Could something around Dahlen +/- get it done...not so sure. 

47 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I didn't realize that 'actual hockey people' are all a hive mind.  You do realize it's possible for 'actual hockey people' to have differing opinions on things, right? ;) Heck, a couple years ago, a great many 'hockey people' were questioning what the hell the Canucks were doing, and this year, as the rebuild has been bearing fruit, a great many have been quite complimentary to the state of the rebuild....funny that.

I happen to know a few hockey people from their current lives. They all have varying opinions on a great many things. Some of which I happen to agree with or disagree with with many shades of grey in between (not that my opinion particularly matters beyond being one of many voices here on CDC). But I'm sure CDC thanks you for the arrogant, pious lecture...

Anyway...on to the thread at hand. Be sweet to nab one of Chicago's D but I'm not sure we can afford the prospects it would cost. Could something around Dahlen +/- get it done...not so sure. 

Ditto. 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Van 2019 1st for Boqvist?

Aren't Boqvist and Hughes very similar in playing styles.  Both seem to be that smooth skating, pmd with lots of offensive potential, but still defensively raw kind of defensive prospect. 

Mitchell or Jokiharju might be a better fit considering they're both a bit more developed on the defensive side, and you already have the offensive gem in Quinn.

4 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Aren't Boqvist and Hughes very similar in playing styles.  Both seem to be that smooth skating, pmd with lots of offensive potential, but still defensively raw kind of defensive prospect. 

Mitchell or Jokiharju might be a better fit considering they're both a bit more developed on the defensive side, and you already have the offensive gem in Quinn.

I'm a big fan of Ian Mitchell. He's a smooth  skater himself who can provide offense, but also plays a responsible game. Sort of a younger, RHD version of Keith (obviously not likely to be equivalent, but similar style).

He's exactly the type of player the Canucks should target. However, with our pick looking more and more like a top-8, and the draft in Vancouver, I doubt the team would trade it. So I just don't know what would fit, other than maybe something involving Gaudette.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

I'm a big fan of Ian Mitchell. He's a smooth  skater himself who can provide offense, but also plays a responsible game. Sort of a younger, RHD version of Keith (obviously not likely to be equivalent, but similar style).

He's exactly the type of player the Canucks should target. However, with our pick looking more and more like a top-8, and the draft in Vancouver, I doubt the team would trade it. So I just don't know what would fit, other than maybe something involving Gaudette.

I can't say for sure, but the Hawks might be most interested in Demko or Dipietro.  Delia is still young and extremely raw, Ward is on a one year deal, and Crawford's concussion issues are getting more and more worrisome.  A solid goalie prospect might be something to get a deal done.

Ofcourse, you let Seabrook join Mitchell for the plane ride over and I bet Stan packs both their bags tonight.

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Would anyone here trade Demko for the Coilers’ Bouchard?

Not a chance. 

Don't forget we have guys in the system that are at worst 1 year behind him developmentally, and maybe not even that. Looking at the future of Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi, Woo, and maybe this years pick there's no reason to gut our goalie depth. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not a chance. 

Don't forget we have guys in the system that are at worst 1 year behind him developmentally, and maybe not even that. Looking at the future of Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi, Woo, and maybe this years pick there's no reason to gut our goalie depth. 

Not that I disagree with the logic, but perhaps Evan Bouchard is only rivaled by Hughes in that group and OJ makes his own case.

Adding a Bouchard to that group would be incredible, but at the expense of Demko, and to the Oilers yet, is unpalatable, no doubt. 

(Oilers could use a goalie, but doubt they, like the Canucks, want to surrender any of their D prospects, in trade)

Perhaps with that move, JB can freely pick a skilled winger in the 1st round.

I suppose the talking-out-loud of this brazen trade is acceptable within the spirit of the forum and where we find ourselves in the rebuild, especially within the context of our D prospects. It’s no skin off my back to bravely sip coffee and tap out a semi-coherent thought or two here. All in good fun. 

On a serious note, does anyone else view free agency as the means to keep the goaltending position stable? I think it’s easier to acquire a hero goalie than develop one and it only costs money, something the Canucks will (should) have no trouble absorbing for the foreseeable future. It makes keeping Demko less of a priority, in my view. This all depends on the return of course.

Bouchard looks to be a ringer as a prime Aucoin 2.0.

Is that not worth a starting goalie, let alone Demko? Who knows. 

I am not undervaluing Demko when I place his name in a proposal, quite the opposite. He’s one of a few salable assets the Canucks have that could return a future core player. I think he is tradable because he’s most likely replaceable in free agency. 

Are any of these Chicago D prospects doing as well as Bouchard? 

^^^

Mitchell.    6'0 175lb, 20 yrs, Righty.  At Denver he has 4 g 15a 19p and +10 in 27gp.

Boqvist.     6'0 180lb, 18yrs, (he'll still be 18 at the draft and six weeks after...very young) Righty.  At London he has 17 g 35a 52p and +13 in 47gp.

Beaudin.    5'11 175lb, 19yrs, Lefty.  At Drummondville he has 7g 48a 55p and a +57 in 47gp.

Jokiharju.   6'0 195lb, 19yrs, Righty.  At Chicago he has 0g 12a 12p and -7 in 35gp.  At Rockford he has 1 g 9a 10p and +3 in 10 gp.

Archived