The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Reading through this thread is awesome. Starts out pretty meh and comparisons to Gudbranson. Then takes off right after his first game. People wanting him signed for two years. Lol

2 Years later, it happens

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2019 at 9:22 PM, SilentSam said:

PB.. this Teves is looking like a young cross between Bieksa/ D Keith.. I’m impressed 

Haha!  Looking back through these old Schenn posts, this is the one that caught my eye!  Where did that Teves (Bieksa/Keith) kid go anyway--Green better have him in the top 6 next year for sure!!:lol::towel:

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

I always wanted Schenn back, thought he was surprisingly reliable for a bottom pairing guy.

Now what do we do with him, with Rathbone and Juolevi all vying for time. You've got to think Myers, Poolman, OEL, Hughes and Hamonic are locks for this roster - there's no budging them, unless we see something out-of-worldly from Rathbone or Juolevi which I doubt. Rathbone, Juolevi and Schenn can all rotate around the bottom pairing but the real benefit of having Schenn there is that we know injuries are going to hit this team.

We've had 1-3 defencemen injured just about every season, on average there's a good 20 games where we have 2 guys down, and most of the season at least 1 guy is injured. That's where we've got some flexibility - if it's OEL/Hughes injured, Rathbone can surely jump up and play some big minutes as a puck mover. If it's a shutdown defenceman injured, Juolevi can try and play a bit more but most importantly, Schenn can come in and protect the young guys but also play some bigger, more physical PK minutes too. Very useful to have him around.

14 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Haha!  Looking back through these old Schenn posts, this is the one that caught my eye!  Where did that Teves (Bieksa/Keith) kid go anyway--Green better have him in the top 6 next year for sure!!:lol::towel:

:picard:..  but he did look ok.

Did concussion injury get him?

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

:picard:..  but he did look ok.

Did concussion injury get him?

Not sure he had the same level of desire after his concussion.

He really does not need hockey as he has a very promising career as a mechanical engineer.

This excerpt was taken from his NCAA  Senior class award:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Classroom

A mechanical engineer major at Princeton, Josh Teves is on track to earn a certificate in Robotics and Intelligent Systems. He is writing his senior thesis on the design of ecofriendly hybrid engines, maximizing fuel efficiency, range and speed.

Character

Chosen by his teammates as team captain this season, Teves is an undrafted free agent with NHL interest. He has been invited to NHL Development Camps the last two seasons with the New York Rangers, Vancouver Canucks and Calgary Flames. He has helped transform a team that posted a 4-23-3 record the year before he got here into a team that won the ECAC Hockey Championship in his third year.

Community

Teves has been actively involved in community service efforts as Princeton Tiger. During the 2017-18 season, he served as the team’s representative for the Headway Foundation, an initiative to promote concussion awareness. He also volunteers for Reading with the Tigers at local elementary schools.

Teves has taken a lead role in Princeton’s “adoption” of Luke. An honorary member of the team, Luke and Princeton came together through Team Impact, a national nonprofit that connects children with serious illnesses with local college teams. He continues his work with youth every year hosting the Mercer Bulldogs Special Hockey Team for an event at Hobey Baker Rink. The Bulldogs are a group of individuals with developmental disabilities who want to participate in the sport of hockey.

Additionally, Teves has been involved for the last three years with Weapons of Mass Construction, an annual project that includes restoring hurricane-damaged properties, refurbishing community centers and more.

Competition

Teves led the nation’s defenseman in points per game last season, averaging 1.06 points per game with 33 points in 31 games. Overall, he ranked 27th among all skaters including forwards. He was named to the All-ECAC Hockey Third Team as he guided his team to the ECAC Championship and an NCAA Tournament bid. He currently is seventh in Princeton history in career points by a defenseman in with 63. Earning first-team All-Ivy League honors as both a sophomore and junior, Teves was also named to the ECAC Hockey All-Tournament Team in 2018.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is easy to see why the Canucks and others were interested in him. Unfortunate that it didn't pan out but it is what it is.

Not sure how the poster you quoted made the leap that he was going to be a Bieksa / Keith type of player though. I never saw that in the few times I watched him play.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think Schenn 31 will be # 9 D man depth  ..He gets same salary in AHL. $ 800,000..be like another coach call up when needed..

1. Quinn 2. OEL  3. Myers   4 Hamonic  5. Poolman  6. Raathabone   7. Juolevi    8.Bowey    9.Schenn   

Rathbone will be turning heads #4 D man by Xmas......

On 8/28/2021 at 1:49 AM, wildcam said:

I think Schenn 31 will be # 9 D man depth  ..He gets same salary in AHL. $ 800,000..be like another coach call up when needed..

1. Quinn 2. OEL  3. Myers   4 Hamonic  5. Poolman  6. Raathabone   7. Juolevi    8.Bowey    9.Schenn   

Rathbone will be turning heads #4 D man by Xmas......

I'm guessing Schenn is the 1st RD callup, putting him at 7th or 8th at the worst. If Juolevi looks horrible I could see Rathbone going in, but more likely I see Rathbone spending his season in Abbotsford with Juolevi being given the 3LD role. Then for LD backup, I'm not sure who management selects since all three of Bowey, Brisebois, and Hunt are left to battle for the spot. Yet, I would consider Schenn to be better than all those options, which would essentially make him our #7 d-man in my mind.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

I wonder what the Canucks plan is if OEL gets hurt?

Who will fill in for him?   Who will be our #1 shutdown guy on the left side if OEL is out for a month or so?

Will Rathbone or Juolevi be used in the top four on the left side?

Or do they go with something like this:

Poolman  Hamonic

Hughes  Schenn

Rathbone  Myers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is odd that Schenn is not listed on the Canucks site on the roster.  

Defense

# Sh Ht Wt Born Birthplace
4 R 6' 2" 202 Apr 22, 1995 Winnipeg, MB, CAN
55 L 6' 2" 175 Jul 21, 1997 Longueuil, QC, CAN
44 R 6' 0" 193 Jul 12, 1995 Vancouver, BC, CAN
23 L 6' 2" 200 Jul 17, 1991 Karlskrona, SWE
27 R 6' 2" 205 Aug 16, 1990 St. Malo, MB, CAN
43 L 5' 10" 180 Oct 14, 1999 Orlando, FL, USA
77 L 5' 9" 177 Aug 24, 1988 Maple Ridge, BC, CAN
48 L 6' 2" 182 May 5, 1998 Helsinki, FIN
25 R 6' 2" 197 Jun 5, 1996 Cross Lake, MB, CAN
57 R 6' 8" 229 Feb 1, 1990 Houston, TX, USA